Author Topic: Post season roster  (Read 17947 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Post season roster
« Reply #200: September 30, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
That is the decision that I was least sure about. Solis has been better as of late.

Tough decisions on some of these.

Edit: Also forgot about Goodwin. Does he have a real shot of being healthy and returning? Maybe 2nd round add?

Solís before ASG:

7.1 innings, 14 hits allowed, 5 walks allowed, 12 runs, all earned, .400 average against.

After ASG:

18.1 innings, 8 hits allowed, 8 walks allowed, 5 runs, all earned, .127 average against.

Whatever was wrong with him mechanically or health-wise seems to be worked out.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #201: September 30, 2017, 05:21:04 PM »
Forget Jackson, Grace  and Romero. I would give Solis a shot and also Cole if you are going 8. Some posters are giving good arguments why you don't need 8 and could use a fast bench player.

This. Need the bench guy more than loser relievers.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #202: September 30, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
Have we not all yet learned that Jackson is garbage.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #203: September 30, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »
Have we not all yet learned that Jackson is garbage.

I’d be more comfortable with Cole as the long relief guy now.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #204: September 30, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
Seems like a pretty easy roster to put together. The lineup will be wrong with Taylor batting 8th and Kendrick will ride the pine no matter how bad Werth is.

Turner
Harper
Rendon
Murphy
Zim
Werth
Wieters
Taylor

Severino
Kendrick
Difo
Lind
Robles
De Aza

Scherzer
Stras
Gio
Roark

Cole
Solis
Perez
Albers
Kintzler
Madson
Doolittle

Cole is there in case bad Tanner/Gio shows up. I trust our SP enough that I'd consider dropping Perez or Solis for either a 3rd catcher or another speed/defense guy like Stevenson. Kendrick should start over Werth but there's no way the manager will do that. Wieters should only bat 8 against NL teams and 9 in AL parks if we make it that far. It's criminal that he's hitting in front of Taylor.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #205: September 30, 2017, 10:21:51 PM »
Watching Rivero tonight, it make me want to puke that we gave him away for a worthless rental.

Offline whytev

« Reply #206: September 30, 2017, 10:28:29 PM »
Watching Rivero tonight, it make me want to puke that we gave him away for a worthless rental.

You mean an excellent rental.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #207: September 30, 2017, 10:42:37 PM »

Melancon was really good for us.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #208: September 30, 2017, 11:24:18 PM »
I’d be more comfortable with Cole as the long relief guy now.

If you need a long relief guy, use Roark. There is almost 400 million between Strasburg and Scherzer. They can put out on short rest

Offline Slateman

« Reply #209: September 30, 2017, 11:24:44 PM »
Too bad he couldn't do that here.

Offline whytev

« Reply #210: September 30, 2017, 11:57:59 PM »
Too bad he couldn't do that here.

His 2015 numbers are very comparable to his 2017 numbers.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #211: October 01, 2017, 12:05:47 AM »
His 2015 numbers are very comparable to his 2017 numbers.
And his 2016 numbers weren't. Pirates do this regularly. Glad he turned it around. We got what we needed out of him.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #212: October 01, 2017, 12:15:11 AM »
Catchers:Matt Wieters, Jose Loboton
Infielders: Ryan Zimmerman, Daniel Murphy, Anthony Rendon, Trea Turner, Wilmer Difo, Adam Lind
Outfielders: Howie Kendrick, Michael Taylor, Bryce Harper, Jayson Werth, Victor Robles
Starting Pitchers: Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Tanner Roark
Bullpen: Sean Doolittle, Brandon Kintzler, Ryan Madson, Matt Albers, Oliver Perez, Enny Romero, Edwin Jackson, Matt Grace

Widcards: Bautista, Blanton, Solis

Thoughts?

Pretty good, except the following.

I can't imagine any situation in which I would want Matt Grace pitching to anyone in the playoffs, even if that batter is dead.  Four lefthanders is overkill in any event, if the reason he's there is being lefthanded.  You'd be better off leaving the roster spot vacant than tempting Dusty by putting Grace on it.  Same with Jackson, actually, but if you have to have one for the sake of eating innings, it's Jackson.  I'd put Solis ahead of both.  Whatever was wrong with Solis earlier this season, he actually has the stuff to get major league hitters out consistently and has done so since coming back. 

I don't know why Bautista is even mentioned.  Goodwin on one leg makes the roster over Bautista, and Goodwin's not exactly Mike Trout.  If I were making the roster, I'd be trying to find a way to get both Goodwin and Robles on, assuming the former is healthy.  The roster above has too many defensively deficient outfielders, especially with injury concerns with Harper and Kendrick.  If Goodwin's not healthy, Bautista still shouldn't be on it.  That spot would be an emergency defense-only OF, and Stevenson's better at that than Bautista.  He's also a better hitter for the roster in the sense that he makes his outs lefthanded, which would please the left-right fetishists.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #213: October 01, 2017, 03:46:10 AM »
I might even go a little further than Elvir and say that Romero's slot is in jeopardy.  I think Solis makes it, along with Perez and Albers.  That's a 3-3 balance and gives you 2 lefties along with your 7-8-9 guys.  Perez more or less can do the LOOGY thing if you need it in the 7th or 8th, and I'm pretty comfortable with Albers for an inning or Solis for 2 if you are tied late or need middle help.  You probably want a long guy, so, unlike Elvir, I maybe could see Grace as your 3d alternative, but it comes down to me to be Cole or Romero.

I am very skeptical that Goodwin makes the roster.  I think the roster has the OF D weakness Elvir mentioned.  I think Bryce is not fully mobile at this point, but I wonder if Stevenson in consideration.  To me, Saturday night looked like tryouts for some of the last roster spots.  I thought it was revealing that Bryce was subbed out defensively but not Werth.  If Stevenson, Bautista, or even de Aza were under consideration for the roster, then I think one would have been in in the 9th with a 1 run lead. 

So, I/M/O, 6 bullpen slots are set, 6 infield (count Lind here with Difo), 2 catchers, 5 OF (Robles is a given at this point) 4 starters for 23 slots, with Romero and Cole as the 7th reliever and then, in my order of preference, another defensive OF (Stevenson or possibly de Aza), an 8th bullpen arm, or a 3d catcher.  IF Severino gets a start in the OF Sunday, then he's under consideration for 25th man. 

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #214: October 01, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
with the way Baker mismanages, he only needs a few relievers

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #215: October 01, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »
I want to see him play 9 in game 162. If he can't, not interested.
Agreed. Of all the injuries this season, Goodwin's is one of the most disappointing. He started showing real potential to play a role.

And year to be a Nats outfielder.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #216: October 01, 2017, 09:34:52 AM »
Solis over Grace.
Goodwin prob doesn’t make it bc his timing is going to be off at the least.
Please lord, no De Aza.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #217: October 01, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
I want to see him play 9 in game 162. If he can't, not interested.
That's how I feel about Harper.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #218: October 01, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »
That's how I feel about Harper.

There certainly some validity to that, but no way they're leaving Harper off, although I think his contribution will be minimal at best.  He isn't ready.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #219: October 01, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
Solís before ASG:

7.1 innings, 14 hits allowed, 5 walks allowed, 12 runs, all earned, .400 average against.

After ASG:

18.1 innings, 8 hits allowed, 8 walks allowed, 5 runs, all earned, .127 average against.

Whatever was wrong with him mechanically or health-wise seems to be worked out.

He is doing better, but 4 walks per 9 innings is still way high.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #220: October 01, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
but no way they're leaving Harper off,
I know.  I may reassess my position after today's game but he hasn't hit so far, and if he's hitless again today, why on earth would anyone expect hit to hit after four days of inactivity.  In that case, they'll play him, knowing that they're not putting the best lineup out there, but they'll figure that it's more important to keep him happy than to win.  It isn't more important to me ....

Offline dlayman

« Reply #221: October 01, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
I don't think he will play full time, because I don't think he's able to.   He might be best utilized as a pinch hitter, but that isn't going to be how they use him.   Maybe with four days of a lot of BP, he'll improve a bit, but right now he isn't an asset.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #222: October 01, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
We've got big names who are question marks, like Werth, Max and Harp, who have health concerns and/or may not be productive, and all will be given priority in roster and playing time as possible.    I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it bodes well.   Hell, with my track record of predictions, Max will pitch a perfect game, Werth will hit .400 and Harp will drive in 12 runs against the Cubs.

Offline whytev

« Reply #223: October 01, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
Agreed. Of all the injuries this season, Goodwin's is one of the most disappointing. He started showing real potential to play a role.

And year to be a Nats outfielder.

Uh, Eaton?

Offline whytev

« Reply #224: October 01, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
He is doing better, but 4 walks per 9 innings is still way high.

True, but he only needs to be better than Grace or Romero.