Author Topic: Post season roster  (Read 17951 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Post season roster
« Reply #175: September 29, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
I think 7 bullpen 6 bench players.  I just don't see a need for 8 bullpen guys.  Kintzler, Madson, and Doolittle have the 7th, 8th, and 9th.  Albers would get the call in the 6th.  We might use Perez or Solis in the 6th or earlier against lefties. 

You fully expect Max and Stras to pitching at least into the 7th inning and turn it over to our Big 3 we acquired.  Gio and Roark might get the hook in the 5th if they aren't at their sharpest. 

I think we could use the 6th bench player more than the 8th reliever.

Agree with this, except that pretty much everyone gets quicker hooks in the playoffs, and I'd imagine that includes Strasburg (although probably not Scherzer).  While those quicker hooks seem to ask for more relief pitchers, they also functionally ask for a longer bench for pinch hitters/ double switches.  If Goodwin is healthy, he probably makes it as the next lefty and backup CF.  Robles would be the next one up if there is room, especially given the speed, but he does make rookie mistakes like the one on the SB last night.  That just can't happen in the playoffs.

Offline whytev

« Reply #176: September 29, 2017, 02:12:14 PM »
Except that we'll most likely be using a 5 man bench.  25 man roster, 8 starting position players, 4 starting pictures, which leaves 13 spots to fill.  That will probably go 8 in the bullpen and 5 position players.  My guess is an even L/R split in the pen.  R: Albers, Blanton, Kintzler and Madson; L: Perez, Romero, Solis, Doolittle.  That leaves 5 for the bench.  Loby, Lind, Kendrick and Difo are locks.  Final spot comes down to Robles vs. Goodwin.  Goodwin has the slight edge for balance, bc including him makes the bench 2L/2R/1S, whereas with Robles it's 3R/1L/1S.  But, Robles definitely brings some electricity, which can go a long way, and he's been looking good, whereas Goodwin is coming off injury and will be rusty.  I'd like to see Robles make it, but they also might give the nod to Goody bc he is older/more experienced, and presumably less likely to make a rookie mistake in a big spot.  If they only carry 7 relievers, which would surprise me, then you could keep them both.

That's a lot of typing for a wrong guess.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #177: September 29, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
a pinch-runner / defender like Robles is probably more valuable in the post-season than the 8th guy in the bullpen.  You could get the 18 inning game again, but you have extra off days and the like so I don't see that 8th arm being used often.  A PR is closer to an end of game reliever in terms of when you'd use him (close / late) except you'd be short on runs rather than ahead.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #178: September 29, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »
a pinch-runner / defender like Robles is probably more valuable in the post-season than the 8th guy in the bullpen.  You could get the 18 inning game again, but you have extra off days and the like so I don't see that 8th arm being used often.  A PR is closer to an end of game reliever in terms of when you'd use him (close / late) except you'd be short on runs rather than ahead.

Exactly.  Extra bullpen help like that is more for the season when rest is an issue.  We have 4 really good relievers and then maybe you also trust Perez or Solis in a lefty/lefty matchup in the middle innings.  Who else out of the bullpen do you really want to use?  Why would you use them unless you hard to pull a starter in the very early innings or we had another 18 inning game. 

You ideally have Max/Stras go 7 STRONG and then turn to Madson and Dootlittle.
Gio and Roark you hope for at least 5 strong, and then you go with perhaps Perez/Solis for an early lefty or 2 and then Albers/Kintzler/Madson/Doolittle

If we have extra innings or a starter is pulled in the very early innings, then you can use Perez, Solis, and that 7th RH bullpen guy to bridge those innings. 

The bench guys can really benefit you strategically.  Pinch runner.  Defensive sub.  Obviously pinch hitters.  Plus I simply think we have better players as bench options than the bullpen guys beyond the top late inning guys.  I see no reason to force a Matt Grace on the roster.

Offline whytev

« Reply #179: September 29, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »

You're not gonna have a game go 18 if you let Blanton pitch.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #180: September 29, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »
Looks like we're getting our playoff lineup tonight:  Turner, Harper, Rendon, Murphy, Zimmerman, Werth, Wieters, Taylor, Strasburg

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #181: September 29, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »
Looks like we're getting our playoff lineup tonight:  Turner, Harper, Rendon, Murphy, Zimmerman, Werth, Wieters, Taylor, Strasburg

Next season we can have the same lineup, minus Werth, plus Eaton. Killer lineup.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #182: September 29, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »

Where's my ring?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #183: September 29, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »
Hoping that's the lineup the next 3 games.

Offline whytev

« Reply #184: September 29, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
Taylor and Wieters have been flipped. Wonder why.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #185: September 29, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »
Taylor and Wieters have been flipped. Wonder why.
Always a problem having a slow guy bat 8th.  Pitcher can't bunt him to second.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186: September 29, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »

Plus some say you should have a better bat n 8 to turn over the lineup. I don’t know If this is backed up by data.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #187: September 29, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
Plus some say you should have a better bat n 8 to turn over the lineup. I don’t know If this is backed up by data.

where's Linty?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #188: September 29, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »

In other words, Dusty doesn't want to clog up the basepaths

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #189: September 29, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »
That's a lot of typing for a wrong guess.

Fair enough!  You might be right, and I'm often the double whammy of both long-winded and wrong.  I guess we'll see.

Offline whytev

« Reply #190: September 29, 2017, 06:09:44 PM »

Wieters singles, Taylor strikes out. Now the pitcher is bunting a catcher over anyway.

Offline whytev

« Reply #191: September 29, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »
Fair enough!  You might be right, and I'm often the double whammy of both long-winded and wrong.  I guess we'll see.

I'm just going on last year. And the fact that there isn't exactly a 14th pitcher bashing the door down.

Offline Optics

« Reply #192: September 29, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
Weird that Duty goes with that lineup now after insisting on hitting Rendon 6th all year.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #193: September 29, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
Weird that Duty goes with that lineup now after insisting on hitting Rendon 6th all year.

Duty
dictates that he does what is best for the team.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #194: September 29, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
Wieters singles, Taylor strikes out. Now the pitcher is bunting a catcher over anyway.
Worse yet, Wieters singles, Taylor singles (Wieters to second) pitcher bunts, Wieters is forced out at third.  So there really isn't a good solution for a slow-running weak-hitting batter.   Although it that situation it would help if our pitchers were able to bunt down the third baseline.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #195: September 30, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
Catchers:Matt Wieters, Jose Loboton
Infielders: Ryan Zimmerman, Daniel Murphy, Anthony Rendon, Trea Turner, Wilmer Difo, Adam Lind
Outfielders: Howie Kendrick, Michael Taylor, Bryce Harper, Jayson Werth, Victor Robles
Starting Pitchers: Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Tanner Roark
Bullpen: Sean Doolittle, Brandon Kintzler, Ryan Madson, Matt Albers, Oliver Perez, Enny Romero, Edwin Jackson, Matt Grace

Widcards: Bautista, Blanton, Solis

Thoughts?

Offline whytev

« Reply #196: September 30, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
Infielders: Ryan Zimmerman, Daniel Murphy, Anthony Rendon, Trea Turner, Wilmer Difo, Adam Lind
Outfielders: Howie Kendrick, Michael Taylor, Bryce Harper, Jayson Werth, Victor Robles
Bullpen: Sean Doolittle, Brandon Kintzler, Ryan Madson, Matt Albers, Oliver Perez, Enny Romero, Edwin Jackson, Matt Grace

Widcards: Bautista, Blanton

Thoughts?

Solís is better than Grace.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #197: September 30, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
Solís is better than Grace.

That is the decision that I was least sure about. Solis has been better as of late.

Tough decisions on some of these.

Edit: Also forgot about Goodwin. Does he have a real shot of being healthy and returning? Maybe 2nd round add?

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #198: September 30, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »

Widcards: Bautista, Blanton, Solis

Thoughts?

Forget Jackson, Grace  and Romero. I would give Solis a shot and also Cole if you are going 8. Some posters are giving good arguments why you don't need 8 and could use a fast bench player.

Offline whytev

« Reply #199: September 30, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
That is the decision that I was least sure about. Solis has been better as of late.

Tough decisions on some of these.

Edit: Also forgot about Goodwin. Does he have a real shot of being healthy and returning? Maybe 2nd round add?

I want to see him play 9 in game 162. If he can't, not interested.