Author Topic: Post season roster  (Read 17924 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Post season roster
« Reply #150: September 25, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
You'd expect MAT to be better against LH, although that would be abnormal for Goodwin to have reeverse platoon splits.  I don't think they'd be a matchup platoon anyway so much as just riding the hot hand.  Totally agree on Robles.

MAT is a little better vs. LHP this year, and a little better than Goodwin vs. RHP.

Goodwin pulverized LHP in a small sample size.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #151: September 25, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
There just aren't enough ABs for Drew.  Difo had a better year at the plate, is younger, and can bail you out at way more positions.  It sucks what happened to him, but he could start every day and bat .300/.400/.500 and I still wouldn't give him the nod.

Goodwin...different story.  If he comes back and goes on one of his mini tears, he could snake Robles' spot, but I'd probably drop Blanton, not Robles.

Drew isn't taking Difo's spot.  Not what I meant.  He would make the team as an extra lefty bat off the bench.  If Goodwin looks good, then I don't think you also have a use for Drew as an extra lefty bat.  He is a fine and experienced pinch hitter if he's at all healthy, but Difo is who you would use in the field and also would be your first choice at the plate. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #152: September 25, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
Drew isn't taking Difo's spot.  Not what I meant.  He would make the team as an extra lefty bat off the bench.  If Goodwin looks good, then I don't think you also have a use for Drew as an extra lefty bat.  He is a fine and experienced pinch hitter if he's at all healthy, but Difo is who you would use in the field and also would be your first choice at the plate.

Drew doesn't have a spot as a bat only guy. Lind is your big bopper off the bench as far as lefties go, and Kendrick is your man from the right. (I accept that Werth will start, although I don't like it.) Difo, Robles, and Lobatón cover every defensive position. I'm not sure Drew justifies carrying only 3 RH relievers.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #153: September 25, 2017, 11:16:46 AM »
(I accept that Werth will start,

I don't.  I mean, I assume he will start, but I don't accept it.

« Reply #154: September 25, 2017, 01:05:08 PM »
Drew doesn't have a spot as a bat only guy. Lind is your big bopper off the bench as far as lefties go, and Kendrick is your man from the right. (I accept that Werth will start, although I don't like it.) Difo, Robles, and Lobatón cover every defensive position. I'm not sure Drew justifies carrying only 3 RH relievers.

I doubt he does either, not arguing that.

Offline whytev

« Reply #155: September 25, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
I doubt he does either, not arguing that.

Then his season appears to be over.

« Reply #156: September 25, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
Then his season appears to be over.

Most likely.  Of course he will stay ready and even if he isn't on the NLDS roster, maybe something changes for the NLCS or World Series.  Never know. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #157: September 25, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »
Most likely.  Of course he will stay ready and even if he isn't on the NLDS roster, maybe something changes for the NLCS or World Series.  Never know.

Yes he needs to stay in shape because I don't want Sánchez to be the next man up.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #158: September 27, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
Zuck reports that Goodwin is playing in rehab games and likely will be ready for the first round.   Goodwin or Robles??

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #159: September 27, 2017, 08:09:52 PM »
Robles for me.

Offline tzinc

« Reply #160: September 28, 2017, 12:32:53 AM »
no way Werth should start

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #161: September 28, 2017, 08:09:25 AM »
no way Werth should start
You're right. But he will. Dusty likes the older veterans who have played for him. A Lind and Hendricks platoon would be better.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #162: September 28, 2017, 08:10:46 AM »
The rotation ending the season is Strasburg, Scherzer, Gio.   It makes me wonder if they are thinking of starting Strasburg game 1.  It would be a bold move, but Strasburg has been the better pitcher the last 6 weeks.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #163: September 28, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
The rotation ending the season is Strasburg, Scherzer, Gio.   It makes me wonder if they are thinking of starting Strasburg game 1.  It would be a bold move, but Strasburg has been the better pitcher the last 6 weeks.
Given how much time off there is between the end of the season and Game 1 of the NLDS, how the rotation ends the season shouldn't matter.

What would be bold would be starting Strasburg for Game 3 in Chicago and letting Gio have Game 2 at home. Their home/away splits would match up perfectly with this. Plus you would have Strasburg available out of the pen for Game 5.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #164: September 28, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »
Dusty needs to set his playoff lineup and play them this weekend.  There's been too much shuffling to rest some players and get others into the lineup, so they've lost continuity.  Maybe he can have a mix and match lineup tonight with Jackson pitching, but Friday, Saturday and the first 5 innings of Sunday should be played with the full playoff lineup.

« Reply #165: September 28, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »
I agree that for the weekend we should basically pretend they are playoff games and turn up the intenisty and play the full lineup.  It's hard to just flip the switch back to being dialed in and best to go ahead and do that now.  We have 5 days after to rest.

Offline whytev

« Reply #166: September 28, 2017, 02:32:35 PM »
Given how much time off there is between the end of the season and Game 1 of the NLDS, how the rotation ends the season shouldn't matter.

What would be bold would be starting Strasburg for Game 3 in Chicago and letting Gio have Game 2 at home. Their home/away splits would match up perfectly with this. Plus you would have Strasburg available out of the pen for Game 5.

I want this. But it probably won't happen. Either way you have SS out of the pen game 5 if it comes to it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #167: September 28, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »
Dusty needs to set his playoff lineup and play them this weekend.  There's been too much shuffling to rest some players and get others into the lineup, so they've lost continuity.  Maybe he can have a mix and match lineup tonight with Jackson pitching, but Friday, Saturday and the first 5 innings of Sunday should be played with the full playoff lineup.

i think we saw his playoff lineup last night (except with Wieters catching)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #168: September 28, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »
I want this. But it probably won't happen. Either way you have SS out of the pen game 5 if it comes to it.
#standard decision

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #169: September 28, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
i think we saw his playoff lineup last night (except with Wieters catching)

Hope not! Agree about Wieters.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #170: September 29, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »
If Goodwin is ready to play do you think, is there even a need for an extra position player?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #171: September 29, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
If Goodwin is ready to play do you think, is there even a need for an extra position player?
Need, yes. Should it be Goodwin? Not really

Offline whytev

« Reply #172: September 29, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
Need, yes. Should it be Goodwin? Not really

If Goodwin is ready, Goodwin, Robles, Kendrick, Lind, Difo, Catcher makes a pretty damned good six man bench.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #173: September 29, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
If Goodwin is ready, Goodwin, Robles, Kendrick, Lind, Difo, Catcher makes a pretty damned good six man bench.

Except that we'll most likely be using a 5 man bench.  25 man roster, 8 starting position players, 4 starting pictures, which leaves 13 spots to fill.  That will probably go 8 in the bullpen and 5 position players.  My guess is an even L/R split in the pen.  R: Albers, Blanton, Kintzler and Madson; L: Perez, Romero, Solis, Doolittle.  That leaves 5 for the bench.  Loby, Lind, Kendrick and Difo are locks.  Final spot comes down to Robles vs. Goodwin.  Goodwin has the slight edge for balance, bc including him makes the bench 2L/2R/1S, whereas with Robles it's 3R/1L/1S.  But, Robles definitely brings some electricity, which can go a long way, and he's been looking good, whereas Goodwin is coming off injury and will be rusty.  I'd like to see Robles make it, but they also might give the nod to Goody bc he is older/more experienced, and presumably less likely to make a rookie mistake in a big spot.  If they only carry 7 relievers, which would surprise me, then you could keep them both.

« Reply #174: September 29, 2017, 01:20:46 PM »
I think 7 bullpen 6 bench players.  I just don't see a need for 8 bullpen guys.  Kintzler, Madson, and Doolittle have the 7th, 8th, and 9th.  Albers would get the call in the 6th.  We might use Perez or Solis in the 6th or earlier against lefties. 

You fully expect Max and Stras to pitching at least into the 7th inning and turn it over to our Big 3 we acquired.  Gio and Roark might get the hook in the 5th if they aren't at their sharpest. 

I think we could use the 6th bench player more than the 8th reliever.