Author Topic: Post season roster  (Read 17944 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Post season roster
« Reply #125: September 16, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »
just a bit of defense for Lobi - a lot of the starters are used to throwing to him  and like him.

edit - where's a good set of stats on W/L and era for catchers games started?  also how pitchers do with various catchers?  By rep, Wieters is a great game caller but I don't know about Lobi.   I don't want to lobby to much for jose without the data.
Any measure of a catcher's defense, aside from pop time, is purely qualitative. There are too many variables at play to look at stats such as catcher ERA.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #126: September 16, 2017, 05:58:37 PM »
Any measure of a catcher's defense, aside from pop time, is purely qualitative. There are too many variables at play to look at stats such as catcher ERA.
i'm not a fan of catcher's ERA, either.  I'm just trying to come up with a measure for the effectiveness of a pitcher / catcher pairing.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #127: September 19, 2017, 03:13:11 PM »
Update today:

"Harper (knee) was able to take batting practice again Tuesday, and the Nats are optimistic he'll be able to return next week, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.
Harper originally said he had his eye on returning for Game 1 of the NLDS, but after taking a few days of batting practice on the field, it appears he could return before the regular season concludes. The Nationals won't push him to return seeing as they've already clinched a playoff birth, but they most likely want to get a few games under his belt before October rolls around. Harper has been sidelined since mid-August with a knee injury, so even if he does return before the postseason, the Nats would likely use him cautiously in the last week."

« Reply #128: September 19, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »
I like this lineup:

SS Turner
RF Harper
3B Rendon
2B Murphy
1B Zimmerman
LF Werth/Kendrick/Lind
C Wieters
CF Taylor

Offline Optics

« Reply #129: September 20, 2017, 04:46:56 PM »
I like this lineup:

SS Turner
RF Harper
3B Rendon
2B Murphy
1B Zimmerman
LF Werth/Kendrick/Lind
C Wieters
CF Taylor

Harper will hit 3rd and Rendon will hit 6th. #standarddecisions

« Reply #130: September 22, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
So, Harper is going to be on the roster.  Drew and Goodwin are trying to make it back, but Drew is trying to play hurt and Goodwin just doesn't have much time.  Where does that leave us with the 25?

Locks to start (not a batting order as you can tell):

C Wieters
1B Zimmerman
2B Murphy
3B Rendon
SS Turner
CF Taylor
RF Harper

LF I strongly suspect is Werth but Kendrick could be in that spot if Werth isn't feeling healthy and getting going next week.  Whichever doesn't start will be on the bench along with Lind and Difo.  I think Lobaton is a near lock as the backup C, but Severino might beat him out if Lobaton is still ailing. 

Locks for pitching staff:

Rotation:
Scherzer
Strasburg
Gonzalez
Roark

Bullpen:

RH Albers
7th Kintzler
8th Madson
9th Doolittle

I think Perez is very likely to be another lefty to make it, because I have only Doolitle as a lock.  We need a situational lefty for the earlier innings.  He's the vet but he's been only so-so.  Romero, Grace, and Solis are the other possible lefties.  Romero is the most talented and has 4 scoreless outings over 4 and 1/3 since returning this month.  Grace has shown he can be a long man if needed and has 4 straight scoreless outings after a rough stretch, but his overall numbers are pretty weak.  Solis hasn't given up a run since August 24th which spans 6 2/3 innings.  He's making a strong case despite his overall ERA being so high still.

As for other RH contenders, Edwin Jackson has been falling off and I'm not sure he's a great option for just an inning or a few batters.  He's never thrived in that role.  Do we really need his services as a long man?  That's a regular season thing I believe.  There is no "eating innings" in the postseason unless you run into a marathon like we had against the Giants when Zimmermann was pulled in the 9th with a 1-0 lead.  Kelley's last 2 outings were good, but he needs to show a lot this coming week because to date he hasn't had it this year.  Blanton is a on a modest 3 1/3 scoreless streak and of course he's a vet. 

I really don't see our bullpen coming into play much beyond Albers/Kintzler/Madson/Doolittle.  Those are the 4 you trust and really the only 4, and in the postseason I expect Max and Stras to give us at least 7 strong and Gio and Roark should be able to give us a solid 5+.  That means we can almost exclusively use just those 4 guys out of the bullpen.  Albers can clean up the 6th inning for Gio or Roark if they run into some trouble, unless we want to matchup a lefty like Perez or Romero.  Then you go with our 3 new guys in the 7th/8th/9th.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #131: September 23, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

Fixed.

I like this lineup:

SS Turner
RF Harper
3B Rendon
2B Murphy
1B Zimmerman
LF Werth/Kendrick/Lind
C Wieters  Severino
CF Taylor

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #132: September 23, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
Fixed.

Hard to disagree with you.  Except isn't Gio going to fall off a cliff if Wieters isn't catching him?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #133: September 23, 2017, 12:15:53 PM »
Lineup - Turner SS - Kendrick/Werth LF - Harper RF - Murphy 2B - Zim 1B - Rendon 3B - Taylor CF - Wieters C
Rotation - Scherzer - Strasburg - Gonzalez - Roark
Bullpen - Doolittle - Madson - Kintzler - Albers - Perez - Romero - Blanton
Bench - Lind 1B - Kendrick/Werth LF - Difo IF - Lobaton C - Robles OF - De Aza OF

Go with longer bench, 7 man bullpen, Werth and Kendrick flip flop for who starts in LF.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #134: September 23, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
Hard to disagree with you.  Except isn't Gio going to fall off a cliff if Wieters isn't catching him?
Lobaton will be on the roster, doesn't he work well with Gio?

Offline whytev

« Reply #135: September 24, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
Lineup - Turner SS - Kendrick/Werth LF - Harper RF - Murphy 2B - Zim 1B - Rendon 3B - Taylor CF - Wieters C
Rotation - Scherzer - Strasburg - Gonzalez - Roark
Bullpen - Doolittle - Madson - Kintzler - Albers - Perez - Romero - Blanton
Bench - Lind 1B - Kendrick/Werth LF - Difo IF - Lobaton C - Robles OF - De Aza OF

Go with longer bench, 7 man bullpen, Werth and Kendrick flip flop for who starts in LF.

Solís is in.  I say scratch De Aza.

Offline whytev

« Reply #136: September 24, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »
Here is mine:

Scherzer, Strasburg, González, Roark
Doolittle, Madson, Kintzler, Albers, Pérez, Romero, Blanton, Solís
Harper, Taylor, Werth, Robles, Kendrick
Wieters, Lobatón
Zimmerman, Murphy, Turner, Rendon, Lind, Difo

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #137: September 24, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
Here is mine:

Wieters, Lobatón

I'll vote for that group.    Looks good.    Solis has looked pretty solid over his last few outings.    I'm not sure what Robles brings but I sure do like his attitude, arm, speed  ....  well other than that.    :)     I'd say his bat but I think the scouts will be all over his "holes" by the time the playoffs start.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #138: September 24, 2017, 08:39:20 PM »
Chelsea Janes‏Verified account
@chelsea_janes
Following
More
I think Vic Robles might be able to help this team in October.

He's got to be way ahead of Stevenson and Bautista at this point.  Even if Goodwin is ready to go, I don't see how you keep Robles off this team.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #139: September 24, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
Here is mine:

Wieters, Lobatón
I'll buy that.

« Reply #140: September 24, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »
No doubt Robles has earned a spot.  Solis now has as well.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #141: September 25, 2017, 06:53:01 AM »
No doubt Robles has earned a spot.  Solis now has as well.

we're going to have quite the battle for our OF starting slots next year.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #142: September 25, 2017, 07:13:00 AM »
Here is mine:

Wieters, Lobatón
I like it with 8 RP's and the only question I have is there a chance that it's Cole over Blanton.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #143: September 25, 2017, 07:24:44 AM »

Naw, Rizzo will trade them and sign JD Martinez

Offline whytev

« Reply #144: September 25, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »
I like it with 8 RP's and the only question I have is there a chance that it's Cole over Blanton.

Ask me in 11 hours.

« Reply #145: September 25, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »

We have some nice options.  I expect MAT to get first crack as the (mostly) everyday CF with Eaton in LF and Harper in RF.  Goodwin can be the 4th OF and be a natural semi-platoon with MAT, although of course he's not going to start against every RH pitcher.  Eaton can also get the occassional day off.  I think Robles starts the year in AAA, then we'll kind of evaluate where we're at a month or 2 into the season.  If everybody is healthy and producing, then I think you could see us shop MAT/Goodwin, or even Eaton and see what the market is and what we could get in return, then possibly deal 1 of them.  We'd then roll with Harper, Robles, and 2 of those 3 as our 4 primary OFs. 

« Reply #146: September 25, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
Back to the postseason roster...

If Goodwin and Drew can make it back this week in time to get some ABs and show something will be interesting to follow. 

Right now, I feel confident that in addition to the Kintlzer, Madson, Doolittle Triumphant at the back end and Albers, that Solis will join Perez as the lefties.  That's 6 bullpen slots.  I think Romero and Grace are left out as lefties against the Cubs.  I tend to lean towards us having only 7 bullpen guys and Blanton being that last guy.  I don't think there will be a designared "long man" kept.  I also wouldn't aniticpate using anybody but Kintzler/Madson/Doolittle in the games Max and Stras pitch.  Gio and Roark I can see being pulled after 5 unless they are really sharp, then turning it over to Albers in the 6th mixing in Perez/Solis against tough lefties. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #147: September 25, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
We have some nice options.  I expect MAT to get first crack as the (mostly) everyday CF with Eaton in LF and Harper in RF.  Goodwin can be the 4th OF and be a natural semi-platoon with MAT, although of course he's not going to start against every RH pitcher.  Eaton can also get the occassional day off.  I think Robles starts the year in AAA, then we'll kind of evaluate where we're at a month or 2 into the season.  If everybody is healthy and producing, then I think you could see us shop MAT/Goodwin, or even Eaton and see what the market is and what we could get in return, then possibly deal 1 of them.  We'd then roll with Harper, Robles, and 2 of those 3 as our 4 primary OFs.

Semi-agree, except Goodwin and Taylor were both inexplicably better vs. LHP this year.  Not sure if fluke.

Robles should at least stay down long enough to regain his super 2.  Think of when Trea came up last year.

This should probably be a breakaway thread for next year's outfield.

Offline whytev

« Reply #148: September 25, 2017, 11:05:28 AM »
Back to the postseason roster...

If Goodwin and Drew can make it back this week in time to get some ABs and show something will be interesting to follow. 

Right now, I feel confident that in addition to the Kintlzer, Madson, Doolittle Triumphant at the back end and Albers, that Solis will join Perez as the lefties.  That's 6 bullpen slots.  I think Romero and Grace are left out as lefties against the Cubs.  I tend to lean towards us having only 7 bullpen guys and Blanton being that last guy.  I don't think there will be a designared "long man" kept.  I also wouldn't aniticpate using anybody but Kintzler/Madson/Doolittle in the games Max and Stras pitch.  Gio and Roark I can see being pulled after 5 unless they are really sharp, then turning it over to Albers in the 6th mixing in Perez/Solis against tough lefties.

There just aren't enough ABs for Drew.  Difo had a better year at the plate, is younger, and can bail you out at way more positions.  It sucks what happened to him, but he could start every day and bat .300/.400/.500 and I still wouldn't give him the nod.

Goodwin...different story.  If he comes back and goes on one of his mini tears, he could snake Robles' spot, but I'd probably drop Blanton, not Robles.

« Reply #149: September 25, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »
Semi-agree, except Goodwin and Taylor were both inexplicably better vs. LHP this year.  Not sure if fluke.

Robles should at least stay down long enough to regain his super 2.  Think of when Trea came up last year.

This should probably be a breakaway thread for next year's outfield.

You'd expect MAT to be better against LH, although that would be abnormal for Goodwin to have reeverse platoon splits.  I don't think they'd be a matchup platoon anyway so much as just riding the hot hand.  Totally agree on Robles.