Author Topic: Post season roster  (Read 18275 times)

Offline Truconfidence

Re: Post season roster
« Reply #50: September 01, 2017, 06:11:37 AM »
Grace should be nowhere near the playoff roster

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #51: September 01, 2017, 06:15:59 AM »
If he wants to play while he is still not 100% it's not like the Nationals have any power to tell him no.
Yes, yes they do.

He's played at a MVP level when healthy this year, so if he's even 75% he's going to play.  I know Howie and Goodwin are nice players, but Harper will and should play unless he's just nowhere near healthy enough.
Howie and/or Goodwin > unhealthy Bryce Harper. .243/.373/.441 last year as "unhealthy"

Harper ain't coming back.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #52: September 01, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »
After seeing Werth in right field tonight, I wouldn't mind seeing Lind and Kendrick platoon.

Last night, FP said that before his injury, Werth had been playing a Gold Glove level Left Field...  :roll:

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #53: September 01, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »
Yes, yes they do.
Howie and/or Goodwin > unhealthy Bryce Harper. .243/.373/.441 last year as "unhealthy"

Harper ain't coming back.

Quit talking like you know.  You don't know if Harper is coming back.  Also, as I already laid out, how he played with whatever last year's injury was doesn't mean that's exactly how he'd play with this knee bruise.  Not every injury is the same.  That should be obvious.  Also, last year's .814 OPS and .373 OBP are still something you want in the lineup even if you assume he'd drop that far again.

« Reply #54: September 01, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »
Grace should be nowhere near the playoff roster

I tend to agree.  We'll see how everybody performs this month, but Grace is the most hittable of the lefty options. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #55: September 01, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
Quit talking like you know.  You don't know if Harper is coming back.  Also, as I already laid out, how he played with whatever last year's injury was doesn't mean that's exactly how he'd play with this knee bruise.  Not every injury is the same.  That should be obvious.  Also, last year's .814 OPS and .373 OBP are still something you want in the lineup even if you assume he'd drop that far again.
Not over Howie Kendricks .900 OPS I don't. Harper is doneski.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #56: September 01, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
Last night, FP said that before his injury, Werth had been playing a Gold Glove level Left Field...  :roll:
Werth is okay. But a Gold Glove he is not.

Metrics say he is awful.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #57: September 01, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »

I heard that too and was :spit:

« Reply #58: September 01, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »
Not over Howie Kendricks .900 OPS I don't. Harper is doneski.

Howie is 34 and his highest OPS season in his career was .802.  He's living off a ridiculously high BABIP in a season in which he hasn't played full-time.  Otherwise, he's the same old so-so career .756 OPS guy he's been over a 12 year career.  Harper was way better than that playing hurt last year. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #59: September 01, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
I heard that too and was :spit:

He's just too much to take anymore...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #60: September 01, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »
Howie is 34 and his highest OPS season in his career was .802.  He's living off a ridiculously high BABIP in a season in which he hasn't played full-time.  Otherwise, he's the same old so-so career .756 OPS guy he's been over a 12 year career.  Harper was way better than that playing hurt last year. 
But not this year. And that's all that matters right now.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #61: September 01, 2017, 10:59:47 AM »
He's just too much to take anymore...
Indeed.  C&D are the best

Offline Optics

« Reply #62: September 01, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »
Baseball is very difficult to contribute when you're hurt. Its not like football where players often play and play well through pain, if Harper is hurting I'm not playing him. We have plenty of OF depth and enough quality players on our roster to at least get through the NLDS. And even the NLCS, Harper has historically been owned by Kershaw, it might be wise to not play him much if at all in that series.

Again, the team will evaluate come end of September anyway. Until then, we just play the waiting game...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #63: September 01, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
Harper has historically been owned by Kershaw

1 for 18, with 12 K's...  :hang:

Offline Optics

« Reply #64: September 01, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »
1 for 18, with 12 K's...  :hang:

Yeah...as crazy as it sounds maybe if we do make the NLCS you use Harper as a PH in games against Kershaw.

But lets cross that bridge when we get there.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: September 01, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »
I guess what he meant was that he fields as if his glove were made out of solid metal.

« Reply #66: September 01, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »
But not this year. And that's all that matters right now.

Are you not familar with statistical correction?  Howie has been LUCKY in an abbreviated season of not playing full-time.  He hasn't done anything to change the hitter he is at 34.  He's not truly a .900 OPS guy and that is not at all what you should expect in October.  In fact, if he gets much playing time this month, he won't be a .900 OPS guy anymore by the end of the month. 

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #67: September 01, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
Starters
C    Wieters
1B   Zimmerman
2B   Murphy
3B   Rendon
SS   Trea Turner
RF   Kendrick
CF   Taylor
LF   Werth

Bench
Lobaton
Lind
Difo - I'm not against him starting a game in the corner outfield if Kendrick or Werth is struggling.
Goodwin/De Aza - If Goodwin is healthy, he's the guy. If he is hurt, it is De Aza suffices as a late inning pinch runner and defensive sub.
Sanchez - We could use a right handed pinch hitter but there isn't one who make sense. Sanchez is versatile. Useful as a 25th man.

Starters
Scherzer
Strasburg
Gonzalez
Roark

Bullpen
Doolittle
Madson
Kintzler
Perez
Albers
Grace
Solis
Blanton - If he is getting shelled in September, I maybe put Jackson or AJ Cole here as a long reliever in case game one or two gets ugly early.

Where is Bryce Harper?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #68: September 01, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
Are you not familar with statistical correction?  Howie has been LUCKY in an abbreviated season of not playing full-time.  He hasn't done anything to change the hitter he is at 34.  He's not truly a .900 OPS guy and that is not at all what you should expect in October.  In fact, if he gets much playing time this month, he won't be a .900 OPS guy anymore by the end of the month. 
And there is nothing to say he won't continue to be lucky. 1.015 is August and a .972 OPS since becoming a National. But keep thinking that Gimpalong Harper is a better option. That .752 OPS in the playoffs was great in the number 3 spot in the order. Can't wait!!!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #69: September 01, 2017, 11:14:44 AM »

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #70: September 01, 2017, 11:15:17 AM »
I know that-LOL. Are you writing him off 100%?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #71: September 01, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »
I know that-LOL. Are you writing him off 100%?
Smithian is. Personally, I believe he's going to insist on playing, play like complete crap, and basically cost us the playoffs.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #72: September 01, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »
Where is Bryce Harper?
Clapping in the dugout and hopefully ready to go for the NLCS.

« Reply #73: September 01, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »
And there is nothing to say he won't continue to be lucky. 1.015 is August and a .972 OPS since becoming a National. But keep thinking that Gimpalong Harper is a better option. That .752 OPS in the playoffs was great in the number 3 spot in the order. Can't wait!!!

Did you really say this?  "And there is nothing to say he won't continue to be lucky."

Oh, and there you go just BSing with statistics again.  You pick Harper's .752 OPS last year.  First off, taking 5 game statistical samples is dumb in and of itself.  But you don't mention that Harper had a 1.251 OPS in the 2014 Giants series. 

How about Howie's postseason stats?  in 30 career playoff games, his OPS is .557! 

He went 2-13 against the Cubs last year in the playoffs for a .385 OPS.

I await your spin of this.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #74: September 01, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
Hey, save some negativity for hockey season!
Smithian is. Personally, I believe he's going to insist on playing, play like complete crap, and basically cost us the playoffs.