Author Topic: Post season roster  (Read 17940 times)

Offline awbb

Post season roster
« Topic Start: August 25, 2017, 06:12:19 AM »
Just having a think about the post season 25 and struggling. In theory this is part of the DL discussion but possibly deserves it's own thread as it's specifically about the 25 that will take the field in the NLDS... so long as we hold it together for the next 5 or so weeks.

Clearly, a rookie could run into some magnificent form and play their way in, in September...  :hysterical:

The only person that I can think of that clearly is not going to be on the roster is Joe Ross. Every one else has a chance, even Eaton (though I wouldn't pick him). I'm also sceptical about Glover and worried about Madson. Harper is probably 75/25 but will clearly be in the squad.

Game 1 Position Players

C    Matt Wieters   S
1B   Ryan Zimmerman   R
2B   Daniel Murphy   L
3B   Anthony Rendon   R
SS   Trea Turner   R*
RF   Howie Kendrick   R
CF   Michael Taylor   R
LF   Bryce Harper   L*

Bench

C   Jose Lobaton   S
1B/RF   Adam Lind   L
IF   Wilmer Difo   S
LF   Jayson Werth   R*
OF   Brian Goodwin   L*

* Denotes currently on DL or rehabbing as of 25th August.

I think those position players, barring further injury, or setbacks in rehabbing are a lock for the post season. The last spot was a choice between the DL stricken Goodwin and the DL stricken Stephen Drew. Assuming Goodwin is fit he probably gets the nod for me and though I do like Drew, the emergence of Wilmer Difo has rendered him less important that we could have imagined when he resigned in the winter. Goodwin offers competent cover at CF and LF that we would lack with Drew in the 25 and has batted better than Drew this year looking at the numbers.

Goodwin   .251/.313/.498
Drew   .253/.302/.358

Though I have used some numbers there, I am going to use the good old, infallible eye test to discard the rest of the players!

Bearing in mind just how abysmal Lobaton has been with the bat this year, an argument could be put forward for Severino to be backup catcher, but realistically, Sev's bat has not been particularly hot either and though his defence is probably better I can't see Rizzo and Baker going with the rookie ahead of the veteran (even though I picked Difo ahead of Drew  :roll:). The rest to miss out are callups or DL replacement signings that are unlikely to bother the scorebook between now and the rest of the season to break in ahead of the players above them. Adam Eaton is unlikely to play at all in the remainder of the season and the bench looks deep enough that we should cope without his bat, rushing him back is a clear way to impacting him the rest of his time with us as well.

Missing out - Pedro Severino, Adrian Sanchez, Stephen Drew, Andrew Stevenson, Raphael Bautista, Alejandro De Aza, Ryan Raburn Adam Eaton

Game 1 Pitching Staff

SP1   Max Scherzer      R*
SP2   Stephen Strasburg   R
SP3   Gio Gonzalez      L
SP4   Tanner Roark      R

RP   Sean Doolittle      L
RP   Ryan Madson      R*
RP   Brandon Kintzler   R
RP   Oliver Perez      L
RP   Matt Albers      R
RP   Matt Grace      L
RP   Joe Blanton      R
RP   Sammy Solis      L

* Denotes currently on DL or rehabbing as of 25th August.

As with the position players, I think it's likely that the first 5 of the relief pitchers will certainly be in the post season, assuming no further injuries. Clearly there is concern over Madson's likely fitness as well. However, this does leave spots available for 3 of the following 8 and frankly that is too hard.

Edwin Jackson   R
Sammy Solis   L
Joe Blanton   R
Matt Grace   L
Enny Romero   L*
Koda Glover   R*
Shawn Kelley   L
AJ Cole      R

Cole and Kelley, on the face of it, are a reasonable drop. Kelley has struggled all year and does not appear to be rounding any corners. Cole is a backup starter still and certainly wouldn't get in ahead of Jackson. In thoery you would make a decision about who would be your preferred long(ish) reliever and that would be Jackson or Grace. Both have been pitching reasonably well, however, Grace has been decent outta the pen where as Jackson, in relief this year (albeit not with the Nats) has not been particularly effective. As a result, even though it seems extremely harsh on Jackson, I'd take Grace at this point.

Koda won't be rushed back in, we don't really need him and unless the BP goes to absolute horse manure again. There may be pressure to get him back if he's close to return and Madson isn't looking like he's going to make it, but that seems unlikely at this point.

So I'm looking at 2 out of Blanton, Solis and Romero and to be honest, I really don't know. Let's go with Blanton and Solis. They're in the drivers seat at the moment and barring any horrible outings they probably won't get dropped.

TL;DR what?

Offline Truconfidence

Re: Post season roster
« Reply #1: August 25, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »
I dont think Grace makes it on over Enny. Also I would rather take the extra bench player than an 8th reliever because of the off day after 2 days your whole pen can be used every game. The extra player should be a pinch runner for Wieters or Lind. You could kill 2 birds with putting Edwin Jackson the roster.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: August 25, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
I dont think Grace makes it on over Enny. Also I would rather take the extra bench player than an 8th reliever because of the off day after 2 days your whole pen can be used every game. The extra player should be a pinch runner for Wieters or Lind. You could kill 2 birds with putting Edwin Jackson the roster.
I don't want Grace or Enny on the postseason rsoter.

Also, not sure why Harper is in LF. If he can play the OF, he's in RF. And there is no way in freaking hell that Werth gets benched for the playoffs. None.

Offline awbb

« Reply #3: August 25, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »
I don't want Grace or Enny on the postseason rsoter.

Also, not sure why Harper is in LF. If he can play the OF, he's in RF. And there is no way in freaking hell that Werth gets benched for the playoffs. None.

Lol. Yeah, my bad on the corner outfielders, wrong way around.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #4: August 25, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »
I aint even gonna think about any of this till guys start coming back from the DL.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #5: August 25, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »
And there is no way in freaking hell that Werth gets benched for the playoffs. None.

Kendrick is the better choice in LF for the playoffs. If you play Werth just because he makes more money than Roger Dorn or for nostalgia's sake you're making a mistake.

Kendrick is faster, healthier, plays better defense, and at this point in his career/this season.. hits better.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #6: August 25, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
Kendrick is the better choice in LF for the playoffs. If you play Werth just because he makes more money than Roger Dorn or for nostalgia's sake you're making a mistake.

Kendrick is faster, healthier, plays better defense, and at this point in his career/this season.. hits better.

Word...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #7: August 25, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »

I totally agree with all of this, but it's not going to happen

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: August 25, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »

Yeah, but does he grind at bats?

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
« Reply #9: August 25, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »

No, you've misidentified the weak link.  Werth in LF, Harp in CF, Kendrick in RF.

Offline Optics

« Reply #10: August 25, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
I want to see how Werth hits if/when he gets back before deciding. I think there's always a chance he doesn't even make the postseason roster. The $ is a non issue, its already spent and he's a FA at season's end anyway.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: August 25, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »
I think there's always a chance he doesn't even make the postseason roster.
I don't see any way this happens unless he's hurt.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: August 25, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »
No, you've misidentified the weak link.  Werth in LF, Harp in CF, Kendrick in RF.

Is there a strange wind blowin'?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: August 25, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »
I want to see how Werth hits if/when he gets back before deciding. I think there's always a chance he doesn't even make the postseason roster. The $ is a non issue, its already spent and he's a FA at season's end anyway.

unless he's hurt, werth is going to be on the post season roster.  He's already 2-7 with 2 BBs  in 3 rehab games.  He'll be fine.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #14: August 25, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
I had forgotten Stephen Drew was still on this time.  Anyone heard anything about him returning?

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
« Reply #15: August 25, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
Is there a strange wind blowin'?

There may yet be....there may yet be.  We won't know until early October, for that is when strange winds begin to blow...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #16: August 25, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »
There may yet be....there may yet be.  We won't know until early October, for that is when strange winds begin to blow...

Here's a strange wind for deeznatz.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #17: August 29, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
I have Doo, Madson, Kintzler, Perez ( G-d I can't believe I'm saying this)  Albers , Romero and EJax and one of Solis, Grace, Blanton and Kelley. Do we need eight RP with a day off every two days? Nope , but one of these guys is going to crap the bed and not be used again for the series.
If we don't go 8 RP we could have Goodwin and Raburn as the 5 /6 th OF or if you prefer including Kendrick listed as an INF.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #18: August 29, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
SS Turner
LF Werth
RF Harper
1B Zimmerman
2B Murphy
3B Rendon
C Wieters
CF Taylor

Bench (5): Lobaton, Lind, Kendrick, Difo, Goodwin
* I think it's possible that Drew comes back the last week of the regular season and maybe replaces Difo if he looks good and Difo has been slumping.  Drew is much more experienced, so it's possible.

Game 1 Scherzer
Game 2 Strasburg
Game 3 Gonzalez
*Game 4 Roark

Bullpen (8)
Closer - Doolittle
8th - Madson
7th - Kintzler
RH Albers

Then it gets interesting for the last 4.  I don't think regardless of how well Edwin Jackson finishes that you really plan to have a long man in the postseason.  I don't see the value, not with an 8 man bullpen and off days.  I think Perez is close to a lock as one of the lefties as he's pitched well and has experience.  After that, the lefty competiton is between Romero, Solis, and Grace.  Romero has the best stuff obviously, but can he return to form off the DL and show consistency in September?  Does Dusty trust him in October?  Solis has had a disaster of a season, and Grace has been so-so.  I think it's wide open for 1 of it not 2 of those 3 to pitch their way onto the 25.

I think Blanton, Kelley, and a possible return of Glover is the competition for a final RH spot. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #19: August 31, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »
Better start getting used to the possibility that Harper will not be back.  There have been reports in the last 24 hours that he suffered a strained calf during his fall (which of course was not revealed until yesterday) and his chances of returning are maybe 50-50, and even if he does, his chances of being 100% are near zero.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: August 31, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
If that's the case I don't want him back. He may think that he at 50% is better than a healthy Kendrick but I don't believe that is true.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #21: August 31, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »
If that's the case I don't want him back. He may think that he at 50% is better than a healthy Kendrick but I don't believe that is true.
If it's the case that he has kept it secret then *I* don't want him back.  Nothing would make me happier than for us to win the World Series without him.  Then we can stop talking about how important to the franchise it is for us to mortgage the future on him.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: August 31, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
If it's the case that he has kept it secret then *I* don't want him back.  Nothing would make me happier than for us to win the World Series without him.  Then we can stop talking about how important to the franchise it is for us to mortgage the future on him.

I think you have a point.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #23: August 31, 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
Drew and Harper won't be back in time

Turner SS
Werth LF
Murphy 2B
Zimmerman 1B
Rendon 3B
Kendrick RF
Taylor CF
Wieters C

Lobaton, Lind, Goodwin, Difo, [up for grabs]

Scherzer
Strasburg
Gio
Roark

Doolittle
Kintzler
Madson
Albers
Perez
[up for grabs0

Frankly, I think we should go with two more bench players, but Matt Grace on the roster as relief pitcher, and then let everyone fight it out for the last relief pitcher spot. If you get into a game where you need more innings out of your pitcher, Roark becomes the long man and you tell Max to get ready to go on short rest.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #24: August 31, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »
I think people are making way too big a deal of the strained calf detail. With an injury like that, you don't hurt just one thing; there's always a secondary injury. It's like how Ramos tore his meniscus along with his ACL: it's not changing the prognosis one way or the other and Injury B wouldn't be there if it were not for Injury A (or the accident overall).   I seriously doubt the team wasn't aware of Bryce's calf and as a fan I don't expect a full medical accounting.