Author Topic: Post season roster  (Read 18263 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Post season roster
« Reply #200: October 01, 2017, 03:46:10 AM »
I might even go a little further than Elvir and say that Romero's slot is in jeopardy.  I think Solis makes it, along with Perez and Albers.  That's a 3-3 balance and gives you 2 lefties along with your 7-8-9 guys.  Perez more or less can do the LOOGY thing if you need it in the 7th or 8th, and I'm pretty comfortable with Albers for an inning or Solis for 2 if you are tied late or need middle help.  You probably want a long guy, so, unlike Elvir, I maybe could see Grace as your 3d alternative, but it comes down to me to be Cole or Romero.

I am very skeptical that Goodwin makes the roster.  I think the roster has the OF D weakness Elvir mentioned.  I think Bryce is not fully mobile at this point, but I wonder if Stevenson in consideration.  To me, Saturday night looked like tryouts for some of the last roster spots.  I thought it was revealing that Bryce was subbed out defensively but not Werth.  If Stevenson, Bautista, or even de Aza were under consideration for the roster, then I think one would have been in in the 9th with a 1 run lead. 

So, I/M/O, 6 bullpen slots are set, 6 infield (count Lind here with Difo), 2 catchers, 5 OF (Robles is a given at this point) 4 starters for 23 slots, with Romero and Cole as the 7th reliever and then, in my order of preference, another defensive OF (Stevenson or possibly de Aza), an 8th bullpen arm, or a 3d catcher.  IF Severino gets a start in the OF Sunday, then he's under consideration for 25th man.