Author Topic: Anybody experiencing this issue when posting?  (Read 6931 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I've been plagued by an issue here on WNFF for more than a month, on both my home and work computers so I am guessing it's systemic, though Chief was not able to recreate it.

Let's say I type some text like this, making sure to end the sentence using proper grammar.

Then I would typically hit a couple of spaces to put the smiley down a couple of rows, like this:

:lol:

However, the software is deleting the spaces, sometimes more than one, and compressing my smiley to eliminate the line gap: :'(

In the case above, I had spaced the  :'( two full rows below the end of the sentence, and it moved the smiley back up to the end of the text row.  Is anyone else experiencing space deletion like this?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I've been plagued by an issue here on WNFF for more than a month, on both my home and work computers so I am guessing it's systemic, though Chief was not able to recreate it.

Let's say I type some text like this, making sure to end the sentence using proper grammar.

Then I would typically hit a couple of spaces to put the smiley down a couple of rows, like this:

However, the software is deleting the spaces, sometimes more than one, and compressing my smiley to eliminate the line gap: :'(

In the case above, I had spaced the  :'( two full rows below the end of the sentence, and it moved the smiley back up to the end of the text row.  Is anyone else experiencing space deletion like this?

No  :P

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
None here.

Offline dracnal

None here.

I can't replicate it Tom, but looking at the source what it's doing is removing the <br><br>&nbsp from your post. Given that it's not happening to anyone else, I'm leaning towards either your browser or an add on doing the formatting for you. What are you using as a browser and do you have any sort of ad block, anti-spam, or formatting add ons?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Look in your profile, Look and Layout. Is "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default." selected or deselected?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Look in your profile, Look and Layout. Is "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default." selected or deselected?

deselected.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I can't replicate it Tom, but looking at the source what it's doing is removing the <br><br>&nbsp from your post. Given that it's not happening to anyone else, I'm leaning towards either your browser or an add on doing the formatting for you. What are you using as a browser and do you have any sort of ad block, anti-spam, or formatting add ons?

I'm using Chrome both home and work.  I can't tell you much about add ons other than I would not have installed any such thing myself, and what work does vs home with respect to ad blocks or anti-viral stuff would be two different approaches and I get this problem with both environments. 

Can someone else test chrome perhaps?    :pray:

Offline GburgNatsFan

You know, I have a Chromebook at home and remember something like  this happening. I'll have to check when I get home. I think I still have to hit Return twice for a line break...

I'm using Chrome both home and work.  I can't tell you much about add ons other than I would not have installed any such thing myself, and what work does vs home with respect to ad blocks or anti-viral stuff would be two different approaches and I get this problem with both environments. 

Can someone else test chrome perhaps?    :pray:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
You know, I have a Chromebook at home and remember something like  this happening...

Thing is I've been using Chrome for years and the problem only occurred recently.  Maybe a new release or something.  But I don't experience it on other sites so far, so I just have no clue at this point.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Chrome will remember settings for specific sites... like zoom, etc. It wouldn't surprise me.

Thing is I've been using Chrome for years and the problem only occurred recently.  Maybe a new release or something.  But I don't experience it on other sites so far, so I just have no clue at this point.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
As we say in the biz, "sounds like a local issue" ;) :couch:

Offline dracnal

Test one:

:)

Test two:

:(

Test three:

:)

Test four:

:(

*edit: Well, I got the same results with an outdated Chrome and a fully patched Chrome. More at play than just Chrome, but as Gburg points out, it's capable of weird behavior based on remembering individual site settings.

*edit2: On a note though, I used two CR and one space for each of the happy smileys and two CR, no space for the sad ones. The first two smileys were clicking the bar up above, the second two were done by hand, typing colon paren. It seems if you click it from the bar, it adds an extra space in the current version of Chrome (did not do this in the pre-update build).

Offline GburgNatsFan

And by "the biz," you mean "the industry?"

As we say in the biz, "sounds like a local issue" ;) :couch:

Offline The Chief

And by "the biz," you mean "the industry?"

The mental health industry :poke:

:hammer: =>Tom

Offline The Chief

I forget if I asked you before, but do you get the same behavior in other browsers?  Firefox, IE, Edge, Safari, take your pick.  Opera :lol:

Offline dracnal

I forget if I asked you before, but do you get the same behavior in other browsers?  Firefox, IE, Edge, Safari, take your pick.  Opera :lol:

Netscape or NANF! (because we like the pain)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

At work I am reluctant to try others, but IE is our standard and I tried it but couldn't remember my password.    :bang:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Testing one, two, three.

This is an IE browser one, seems to work fine.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Now a chrome test.
 :'(

So that confirms it's Chrome.  SOB. 

Offline mitlen

Now a chrome test.
 :'(

So that confirms it's Chrome.  SOB. 

I've been told the first thing to do when having site/interwebz problems is to try a different browser.     Never crossed my mind to mention it.    Every time I see a tech type question, I assume I don't know the answer.    :)      Glad you straightened it out.

We had a running joke at work for problems, "When in doubt, turn it out."   i.e. re-boot.    That also works more than I like to admit.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I've been told the first thing to do when having site/interwebz problems is to try a different browser.     Never crossed my mind to mention it.    Every time I see a tech type question, I assume I don't know the answer.    :)      Glad you straightened it out.

We had a running joke at work for problems, "When in doubt, turn it out."   i.e. re-boot.    That also works more than I like to admit.

I'd like to use Chrome for various other reasons, maybe have to do a reset with it or something.

Offline The Chief

Try opening an "Incognito" window in Chrome and log into WNFF w/ that and test.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Try opening an "Incognito" window in Chrome and log into WNFF w/ that and test.

Still behaving the same.
 :?

And oddly, using Incognito presented me with two different logon areas - a small one in the upper left, and a large one at center.  I tried each of them separately but still get the same deletion of the spacing.

And it matters not how many lines (I would call them carriage returns but not sure what they are called now on a keyboard vs typewriter) I insert - I can do 5 and it still deletes them all and puts the smiley at the top.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Test.

Fixed.  I clicked in Help, then About Google Chrome, and unprovoked it initiated a fairly large update that fixed the problem.  So I inadvertently was running an old version that somehow got out of sync with the WNFF system.  I am so happy now!     :woop:

:woop:

Offline mitlen

Test.

Fixed.  I clicked in Help, then About Google Chrome, and unprovoked it initiated a fairly large update that fixed the problem.  So I inadvertently was running an old version that somehow got out of sync with the WNFF system.  I am so happy now!     :woop:

Does that mean you'll be posting more?        :couch: