Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P  (Read 19419 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P
« Topic Start: June 12, 2017, 09:48:57 PM »
Drafted in the first round (25th overall) of the 2017 amateur draft.

LHP

Kicked off the University of Houston Men's baseball team in May for failing a drug test, missing a curfew and getting into an altercation with a teammate.  Had been suspended the previous season after being photographed holding a bong that he claims was handed to him by a bunch of kids.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/uh-ousts-seth-romero-from-its-baseball-team-9431443

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/Issues-could-drop-UH-pitcher-Seth-Romero-out-of-11116406.php

Was projected to go middle of the 1st round before his incidents.  Rated #10 among college prospects by Baseball America before the 2017 season.  Fastball in the low-mid 90's.  Led the nation in K's in 2017 before being suspended and kicked off the team.  Rated 5th best LHP and 27th best overall player in BA heading into the draft.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/3/7/14783176/seth-romero-lhp-university-of-houston-2017-mlb-draft

Romero shows viable velocity for a left-hander at 90-95 MPH, generally averaging 93. The velocity comes without a great deal of strain, he doesn’t have to push to get it, but his body is not classically projectable and further velocity increases are unlikely. That’s Ok if his secondaries work, which they do. His second pitch is an above-average slider. He has a change-up but it needs more work, though it should be average in time, giving him three major league pitches.

Romero throws quality strikes and has been adept at working all quadrants of the strike zone. His command has always been good but it has taken a further step forward in 2017. He’s maintained excellent strikeout rates throughout his college career and has stayed healthy despite concerns about his body type.

WEAKNESSES

Romero’s main weakness has been conditioning: he was somewhere between 240 and 250 pounds a year ago and the suspension last spring was reportedly related to lack of effort in maintaining his body. The suspension seemed to wake him up: he’s worked himself into much better physical condition this year and is now listed at 220. He will always have to monitor this issue but he’s shown the willingness to improve.

PROJECTION

His first three starts have gone quite well and pre-season expectations that Romero would take another step forward could be prescient. If the change-up progresses as expected and if he maintains his physical conditioning, Romero’s combination of solid stuff and sharp command will make him a first-day pick, possibly in the first round, with a chance to be a number four starter down the line.

No word of any need for TJ.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P
« Reply #1: June 12, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »
Can he close?

Offline imref

« Reply #2: June 12, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
Can he close?

yes.  And soon.  He's a far better prospect than Glover.  If they get his head straightened out he's a closer/back of the bullpen guy.

Another profile by Chelsea James:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/06/12/nationals-select-left-hander-seth-romero-in-mlb-drafts-first-round/

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: June 12, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
Most think he'll be called up this year.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: June 12, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »

Tomorrow wouldn't be too early.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #5: June 12, 2017, 10:17:12 PM »
Hmm. A potentially dominant closer who's a terrible person who fights teammates? Sounds worth trying once.

Offline RD

« Reply #6: June 12, 2017, 10:22:32 PM »
Hopefully being under Boras' watch is gets him in even better shape and helps get him on the right path to growing up.

Talent wise, he's got the stuff. He K'd 85 in 48 innings this year. The weight loss seemed to help, but his control seemed to falter as well. His whip rose to 1.36, up from 1.00 and .93 his first 2 years. Part of that was walks, part of it hits. Whether that was related to getting use to a new frame after supposedly losing 40lbs, or possibly trying to throw harder, who knows.

I hope we get him signed quickly and off to Auburn to get some innings. He's got a career high of 94 innings, and only went 48 this year, so he's got some work to do for longevity as a starter. In a perfect world to me, go get him 5 or 6 starts in the minors for 25-30 innings (getting up to approximately 75 when added to his college numbers), then get him a few innings in relief in the minors. If all goes well, promote him in August and let it ride.

He was a closer as a freshman, and had seven saves, so he's got some experience in the role.

Offline imref

« Reply #7: June 12, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »
Hmm. A potentially dominant closer who's a terrible person who fights teammates? Sounds worth trying once.

:hysterical:

this one is left-handed though...

Online Slateman

« Reply #8: June 12, 2017, 10:29:54 PM »

I was wondering about this going in to the draft. I'm joking about closing, but could be be a spot LHP in the playoffs, a, la, Brandon Finnegan or David Price?

Offline RD

« Reply #9: June 12, 2017, 11:26:21 PM »
I was wondering about this going in to the draft. I'm joking about closing, but could be be a spot LHP in the playoffs, a, la, Brandon Finnegan or David Price?

On the draft telecast, I think it was Jon Manuel, who made a direct comparison to Finnegan, in exactly this type of role.

I don't think anyone thinks well necessarily hand over the real closer reigns to a kid drafted 4 months prior, but we could in a Finnegan type of role.

His stuff and his experience out of the pen certainly give him a shot.

2nd round pick Will Crowe, a Tommy John survivor. He's going to be 23 at the conclusion of the year, but he was once considered a first round talent and started to get his stuff amd command back this year.

Offline whytev

« Reply #10: June 13, 2017, 01:26:13 AM »

2/3 "issues" aren't issues for me. So he smokes weed and is fat. Whatever.

Offline whytev

« Reply #11: June 13, 2017, 01:28:25 AM »

Three weeks in low A three weeks in high A three weeks in double A, call him up right before September. Just do it. If he dominates, great. If he doesn't, leave him off the playoff roster.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #12: June 13, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »
I remember another "Nats" First Rounder who made 19 appearances at High A the year he was drafted and then made 12 appearances in the Majors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=corder001cha

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #13: June 13, 2017, 06:42:34 PM »
I remember another "Nats" First Rounder who made 19 appearances at High A the year he was drafted and then made 12 appearances in the Majors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=corder001cha

Loved Chief   ...  He was the first player on the team that got through to me in as much as my becoming a hardcore fan.   I can remember sittin' in the $7 seats in the outfield yellin', "Chief!"       Great days at the Park.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: June 13, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »
Loved Chief   ...  He was the first player on the team that got through to me in as much as my becoming a hardcore fan.   I can remember sittin' in the $7 seats in the outfield yellin', "Chief!"       Great days at the Park.

Chief had infectious enthusiasm and a love of the game.  Unfortunately his time came and now he's just a website administrator.

Offline Dave301

« Reply #15: June 14, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #16: July 16, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/07/07/nationals-sign-first-round-pick-seth-romero-for-just-over-slot-value/

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.  Despite what Mike Rizzo says, I wouldn't be shocked to see him used out of the bullpen by late next month depending on exactly how much help we get at the deadline.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: August 09, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
https://www.milb.com/milb/news/washington-nationals-top-pick-romero-throws-three-hitless-innings/c-247234694/t-185364810

Apparently has started his professional career with 5 no-hit innings.
Bring him up. He sounds like the type of guy who will get in trouble so get some use of him while we can. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #19: August 13, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »
Bring him up. He sounds like the type of guy who will get in trouble so get some use of him while we can. 
We have enough lefties

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #20: August 20, 2017, 09:29:45 AM »
He can't even get batters out in short-season ball at Auburn,

Offline Section214

« Reply #21: August 20, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
He can't even get batters out in short-season ball at Auburn,

Two rough outings after two great ones... Let's give the kid some time.

Offline imref

« Reply #22: August 20, 2017, 06:15:21 PM »

He hasn't been kicked off the team yet, which is a good sign. 

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #23: August 20, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »

Some here were naming him the closer in the playoffs.   :hysterical:

Offline imref

« Reply #24: August 30, 2017, 11:29:25 PM »
5ip, 7ks 1h, 0bb tonight in Auburn