Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P  (Read 19657 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P
« Reply #175: August 24, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »
I’m just confused why he’s still being developed as a starter.  He has 31.2 innings in 10 starts this year.  He has exactly 2 starts longer than 4 innings.
I'm sorry, did I miss the report that said Seth Romero isnt a LHP that throws mid 90s and has an average change up and a good slider?

He's on an innings limit because he just came off TJS and its been 4 years since he threw over 20 innings in a season.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #176: August 24, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »
I'm sorry, did I miss the report that said Seth Romero isnt a LHP that throws mid 90s and has an average change up and a good slider?

He's on an innings limit because he just came off TJS and its been 4 years since he threw over 20 innings in a season.

He had Tommy John back in 2018.  It’s a plethora of other injuries that have been keeping him off the field.  Last year in his brief major league action as a reliever he averaged only 91.7 mph on his 4 seamer

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #177: August 25, 2021, 07:57:49 AM »
As The-Fan-Formerly-Known-As-Smithian has said, the Nats cannot have too many promising minor league pitchers. Maybe he is Happier Seth Romero?
Every AA and AAA pitcher with a pulse is a great trade asset.

We see a guy who may someday be a back of the rotation fill in starter. Another organization may see a LHP with electric stuff who needs a change of scenery.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #178: August 25, 2021, 10:05:01 AM »
Is it really all that unusual for relievers to start in the minors until just about right before their call up?  Papelbon, FWIW, was groomed that way.  I guess that's 15 years ago so that model is out of date, but if a pitcher has more than 2 pitches, he need some innings to use and work on all of them.

No, it's not unusual.  Many even get a few starts in MLB in garbage time before they get converted.  It's too early to say where Romero ends up given his injuries.  They've put him on a weird track even this year - skipped Wilmington, now getting roughly a month in AAA.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #179: August 25, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »
No, it's not unusual.  Many even get a few starts in MLB in garbage time before they get converted.  It's too early to say where Romero ends up given his injuries.  They've put him on a weird track even this year - skipped Wilmington, now getting roughly a month in AAA.
well, he was in camp last year and pitched some in the majors, so I don't think he's considered an A ball pitcher.  I'll guess Fredericksburg was more rehab than anything. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #180: August 25, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »
well, he was in camp last year and pitched some in the majors, so I don't think he's considered an A ball pitcher.  I'll guess Fredericksburg was more rehab than anything.

Even so, a weird track.  There were a few guys who got cups of coffee last year and then went to AA, but it's still odd, especially given that the numbers aren't great.  (Compare to Jose Barrero, who had a cup of coffee in Cincinnati last year, killed AA, killed AAA, and is now back in the majors.)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #181: August 27, 2021, 08:00:23 PM »
He had Tommy John back in 2018.  It’s a plethora of other injuries that have been keeping him off the field.  Last year in his brief major league action as a reliever he averaged only 91.7 mph on his 4 seamer

https://mobile.twitter.com/JessicaCamerato/status/1431394687395508227

95 on the gun. Number 1 in your hearts

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #182: August 27, 2021, 08:46:06 PM »
4 innings tonight, 4 hits, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts, 1 run on a double steal against Ruiz and Noll who each made weak and wild throws.

Offline welch

« Reply #183: September 17, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »

Offline Slateman

« Reply #184: January 14, 2022, 05:16:23 PM »
Arrested for DWI

Offline welch

« Reply #185: January 14, 2022, 08:40:31 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/01/14/washington-nationals-seth-romero-dwi/

Seth Romero, a left-handed pitcher for the Washington Nationals, was arrested Friday morning on a charge of driving while intoxicated in Sweeny, Tex., according to online jail records for the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office.

Romero, 25, is a native of West Columbia, a city in Brazoria County, Tex. He was released on a $5,000 bond, according to the jail record and a person with knowledge of the situation. Since he was drafted by the Nationals in the first round out of the University of Houston in 2017, Romero has three big league appearances and finished last season with the Class AAA Rochester Red Wings, a step away from the majors.

Attempts to reach Romero on Friday were not successful. Brazoria County did not immediately release the arrest record upon request, saying that it could take up to 10 business days.

“We are aware of the incident involving Seth Romero,” a Nationals spokeswoman said in a statement to The Washington Post on Friday. “We are working to gather more information and will refrain from making further comments at this time.”

With Major League Baseball in a lockout, Nationals officials are unable to have contact with Romero or any other players on the 40-man roster. That also means the Nationals cannot discipline Romero until the work stoppage ends, should they wish to, or make any decisions regarding his status with the organization.

Online GataNats

« Reply #186: January 15, 2022, 01:28:10 AM »
This bum should have been kicked to the curb years ago

Online Five Banners

« Reply #187: January 15, 2022, 01:35:29 AM »
Further background from the first thread post:

Drafted in the first round (25th overall) of the 2017 amateur draft.

LHP

Kicked off the University of Houston Men's baseball team in May for failing a drug test, missing a curfew and getting into an altercation with a teammate.  Had been suspended the previous season after being photographed holding a bong that he claims was handed to him by a bunch of kids.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/uh-ousts-seth-romero-from-its-baseball-team-9431443

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/Issues-could-drop-UH-pitcher-Seth-Romero-out-of-11116406.php

Was projected to go middle of the 1st round before his incidents.  Rated #10 among college prospects by Baseball America before the 2017 season.  Fastball in the low-mid 90's.  Led the nation in K's in 2017 before being suspended and kicked off the team.  Rated 5th best LHP and 27th best overall player in BA heading into the draft.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/3/7/14783176/seth-romero-lhp-university-of-houston-2017-mlb-draft

No word of any need for TJ.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #188: January 15, 2022, 07:17:09 AM »
He gone.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #189: January 15, 2022, 07:24:50 AM »
Needs to get his life together. Baseball is secondary at this point.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #190: January 15, 2022, 10:55:02 AM »
He got a $2.8 million signing bonus and maybe a month of major league pay when he was called up, pitched a bit, and went on the il.  That's probably all the high tax bracket earnings a kid with a million dollar arm, a 10 cent head, and a bad attitude can make in his post baseball life. 

OTOH, there's always somebody who will try to reach him because he throws left handed.  At this point, it's clearly not the Nats.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #191: January 21, 2022, 01:55:28 PM »
I feel really bad for this young guy. He'll get more major league opportunities because he is left handed and has a bit of velocity, but he needs time away from baseball.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #192: January 21, 2022, 02:14:33 PM »
I feel really bad for this young guy. He'll get more major league opportunities because he is left handed and has a bit of velocity, but he needs time away from baseball.

He has healthcare for life, got a $3 million signing bonus, a bit of MLB 25-man roster money. I feel a lot of things, but not one of them is pity.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #193: April 06, 2022, 02:32:29 PM »
Optioned to the minors and apparently shut dow due to a back injury

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #194: April 07, 2022, 09:25:35 AM »
Optioned to the minors and apparently shut dow due to a back injury

Not sure if the org sees something that isn't there, but shouldn't they cut bait at this point?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #195: April 07, 2022, 09:32:22 AM »

Not sure if the org sees something that isn't there, but shouldn't they cut bait at this point?

nothing much to lose right now keeping him around

Offline Slateman

« Reply #196: April 07, 2022, 11:15:59 AM »

LHP who throws mid 90s with a good breaking ball.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #197: April 07, 2022, 11:22:06 AM »

Is he pitching like that though? His 2020 numbers were low 90s. He got shut down last year with shoulder issues. It seems he never got over his "personal issues". I mean, I guess they keep giving a roster spot to Sam Clay, and Romero isn't really any different.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #198: April 07, 2022, 11:45:05 AM »
Lefties with high potential get lots of chances.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #199: April 07, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »
Lefties with high potential get lots of chances.
These points cover it.