Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P  (Read 19600 times)

Offline catocony

Re: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P
« Reply #125: September 17, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »
Somebody needs to have the "fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" talk with Seth.  Then again, when you give a self-centered a-hole deliquent a couple million bucks, you shouldn't be surprised with a negative outcome.  Now he'll be 24 and starting over again, and I'm sure his work ethic and maturity will actually be worse after his rehab.  Maybe he'll just pull a Colton Willems and retire at low-A. 

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #126: March 17, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »
It's nice to hear something positive about Romero's change in attitude and focus as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2019/03/after-a-few-missteps-romero-solely-focused-on-tommy-john-recovery.html

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #127: April 02, 2019, 01:43:00 PM »
It's nice to here something positive about Romero's change in attitude and focus as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2019/03/after-a-few-missteps-romero-solely-focused-on-tommy-john-recovery.html
I had written him off completely, so if he pans out at all, I'll be pleased.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #128: August 04, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »
Any update? Coming up on a year after surgery. Think they'll pitch him this year?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #129: November 17, 2019, 07:47:03 AM »
Any idea if Romero is ready this spring?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #130: January 18, 2020, 11:42:33 AM »
seems like this is the make or break year for Romero.

CBS reports:
Seth Romero is yet another recent first-round pick with ample variance. His comes in the form of injury and makeup concerns. We ranked him fifth in the organization because the league sources we talked to believe Romero has benefitted from the grueling Tommy John surgery rehab process. There's upside here -- potentially a lot of it, if he truly has matured.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/do-nationals-have-means-to-land-kris-bryant-or-another-star-third-baseman-if-they-whiff-on-josh-donaldson/

last update I saw was that he was at the instructional league for the winter.

Online Slateman

« Reply #131: January 18, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »
Hes a LHP so he'll get plenty of chances. No reason to rush

Online Slateman

« Reply #132: August 12, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
https://www.federalbaseball.com/2020/8/12/21364173/washington-nationals-davey-martinez-prospect-seth-romero-looks-fearless

Two years later, however, the lefty is currently with the big league team in Flushing, Queens, New York’s Citi Field, as part of the taxi squad that’s accompanying big league clubs during this (planned) 60-game pandemic season.

“He’s been throwing the ball well in Fredericksburg,” Nationals’ skipper Davey Martinez told reporters after announcing on Monday afternoon which of the players in the Nats’ 60-Man Player Pool joined the team on their first road trip of the year. “I wanted to put eyes on him and get him up here, but if somebody goes down, he’s another guy who we feel like can help us in the bullpen or even spot start.”

Online imref

« Reply #133: August 12, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
About time.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #134: August 13, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »
https://www.federalbaseball.com/2020/8/12/21364173/washington-nationals-davey-martinez-prospect-seth-romero-looks-fearless

TBH, I had given him only a little more thought than the last powerball ticket I bought.  I've not had expectations that he would be of any help since he was sent home for attitude adjustment a couple of years ago.  Maybe the TJ led him to realize he likes baseball and it is worth the discipline it takes to make it.

Online imref

« Reply #135: August 13, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »
With Freeman out he may get his shot sooner rather than later.

Online imref

« Reply #136: August 13, 2020, 12:44:40 PM »
promoted to the active roster on 8/13, locking for now

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
What do we think of Seth Romero now?
« Reply #137: April 19, 2021, 11:40:17 AM »
As the subject says. Romero's prospect thread is locked, I think, but Romero is still a minor league pitcher, although he appeared in three games last "season".

Romero's stats:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=romero000set

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: What do we think of Seth Romero now?
« Reply #138: April 19, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »
think it was locked on his call up last year and then not unlocked.  He still has not exhausted rookie eligibility so should be still a "prospect" thread.

Online imref

« Reply #139: April 19, 2021, 12:06:58 PM »
moderator was sleeping on the job, glad the boss stepped in to fix

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #140: April 20, 2021, 10:35:14 PM »
Romero now on DL with "rib injury". Seems hopeless.

Online Slateman

« Reply #141: April 20, 2021, 11:00:20 PM »
Romero now on DL with "rib injury". Seems hopeless.
Yet another in a long line of whiffs in the draft

Online Five Banners

« Reply #142: April 21, 2021, 07:56:50 AM »
Yet another in a long line of whiffs in the draft

I would not mind an organizational shift in which players who have had significant injuries are not taken in the initial several rounds no matter their supposed potential. How many times had the Redskins take players who “could’ve been a first or second rounder” except for the injury, and then did little to nothing largely because of injuries?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #143: April 21, 2021, 08:55:08 AM »
I would not mind an organizational shift in which players who have had significant injuries are not taken in the initial several rounds no matter their supposed potential. How many times had the Redskins take players who “could’ve been a first or second rounder” except for the injury, and then did little to nothing largely because of injuries?

Romero wasn't injured in college.  He was just a moron.  His Tommy John was after continuing to be a moron in the low minors for a bit.   

As for the rest of the red-flags brigade, Fedde has been ok-ish (for context, the guy drafted ahead of him hasn't pitched in the majors since 2018 and the guy drafted behind him has never made it above AA), Giolito is the #1 starter on a playoff team (albeit elsewhere), and Rendon was the cleanup hitter on a WS winner before getting paid $245 million.  I'm not sure that's a lot to complain about.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144: April 21, 2021, 09:08:51 AM »
Romero wasn't injured in college.  He was just a moron.  His Tommy John was after continuing to be a moron in the low minors for a bit.   

As for the rest of the red-flags brigade, Fedde has been ok-ish (for context, the guy drafted ahead of him hasn't pitched in the majors since 2018 and the guy drafted behind him has never made it above AA), Giolito is the #1 starter on a playoff team (albeit elsewhere), and Rendon was the cleanup hitter on a WS winner before getting paid $245 million.  I'm not sure that's a lot to complain about.   
JZ had I think a contact injury (broken jaw) that led him to drop.  I don't think he had an arm history.  Strasburg I think was thought to be an injury waiting to happen due to his motion. 

Romero is a lefty with stuff.  He will be given a long, long, leash, if not here then with another team.  If he is dropped from the 40 man roster, someone will grab him.  He's only burned one option, I think.  If he's not on the 40 man this winter, then somebody will take him as a rule 5. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #145: April 21, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
JZ had I think a contact injury (broken jaw) that led him to drop.  I don't think he had an arm history.  Strasburg I think was thought to be an injury waiting to happen due to his motion. 

Romero is a lefty with stuff.  He will be given a long, long, leash, if not here then with another team.  If he is dropped from the 40 man roster, someone will grab him.  He's only burned one option, I think.  If he's not on the 40 man this winter, then somebody will take him as a rule 5. 
I'm still sickened by the almost glee by a lot of baseball writers when Strasburg got hurt as a rookie and they could scream "Told you so!"

And I agree with your take on Romero. So far, frustrating. But he has a long leash left in this organization.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #146: April 21, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »
I'm still sickened by the almost glee by a lot of baseball writers when Strasburg got hurt as a rookie and they could scream "Told you so!"

And I agree with your take on Romero. So far, frustrating. But he has a long leash left in this organization.

And not a peep from those same writers with Mark Appel, who had supposedly ideal mechanics but both sucked and got hurt. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #147: April 21, 2021, 01:49:12 PM »
To this day John Feinstein still hates Strasburg on a personal level for showing him up.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #148: April 21, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »
To this day John Feinstein still hates Strasburg on a personal level for showing him up.

I must have missed Feinstein's column after Strasburg was the World Series MVP.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #149: April 21, 2021, 02:31:09 PM »

Inverted W.