Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P  (Read 19400 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P
« Reply #25: August 31, 2017, 06:25:33 AM »
5ip, 7ks 1h, 0bb tonight in Auburn

Still starting?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #27: August 31, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
5ip, 7ks 1h, 0bb tonight in Auburn

Which followed a 4 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K outing.

Good stuff from Romero. Could move quickly next year. Would be nice if he's ready by 2019.

Really, most of the early-ish round picks from the '17 class have had nice debuts: Wil Crowe, Nick Raquet, Jackson Tetreault (love this kid), Jackson Stoeckinger and Alex Troop all look like they belong.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #28: March 05, 2018, 08:00:54 PM »

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #29: March 05, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Has that "Johnny Football" look about him...

At least he has a nice ride home from Florida...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline wj73

« Reply #31: March 05, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »

Seems like he’s turning into the personification of “Million dollar arm, ten cent head.”

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #32: March 05, 2018, 09:15:41 PM »
Seems like he’s turning into the personification of “Million dollar arm, ten cent head.”

I said that same thing to my kids tonight - GMTA.  We knew he was a risk, it's too bad because it seemed like he would have had a shot to make it to the bigs this year.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: March 06, 2018, 06:57:27 AM »
Glad to see he manages his money well

Signing bonus just has to tide him over until the first long no term deal- all first rounders get to the bigs and perform- right?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: March 06, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
I said that same thing to my kids tonight - GMTA.  We knew he was a risk, it's too bad because it seemed like he would have had a shot to make it to the bigs this year.
Better chance to make it to rehab.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: March 06, 2018, 07:29:08 AM »
Better chance to make it to rehab.

Immature and stupid doesn’t need rehab, of course it’s possible that by the time he grows up, his career is already squandered

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: March 06, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
Immature and stupid doesn’t need rehab, of course it’s possible that by the time he grows up, his career is already squandered
Just my opinion but seems there is a bit more to it than just being immature. I am sure most of the young guys are immature. I doubt they sent him home for a prank.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #37: March 06, 2018, 08:39:27 AM »
According to this Chelsea Janes article from last year, the Nats have sent guys home before.   They just don't name any names.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/09/18/the-nationals-typically-pass-on-players-with-off-field-issues-seth-romero-is-an-exception/?utm_term=.aaafd082beac  (look about 3/4 way through the article).

Obviously a first round draft pick with a history of behavior issues will get more attention than a rando Hagerstown Sun nobody's ever heard of.  Scott Boras is his agent-- I wonder if that is a factor at all in the decision to let the media know about this (since it seems like the Nats do everything very discreetly in other circumstances). Maybe the mere mention of Boras makes me reach for my tinfoil hat, though.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #38: March 06, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
According to this Chelsea Janes article from last year, the Nats have sent guys home before.   They just don't name any names.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/09/18/the-nationals-typically-pass-on-players-with-off-field-issues-seth-romero-is-an-exception/?utm_term=.aaafd082beac  (look about 3/4 way through the article).

Obviously a first round draft pick with a history of behavior issues will get more attention than a rando Hagerstown Sun nobody's ever heard of.  Scott Boras is his agent-- I wonder if that is a factor at all in the decision to let the media know about this (since it seems like the Nats do everything very discreetly in other circumstances). Maybe the mere mention of Boras makes me reach for my tinfoil hat, though.

You had me at "Scott Boras is his agent..."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #39: March 06, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »
Has that "Johnny Football" look about him...

At least he has a nice ride home from Florida...

Heard The Barstool Sports interview with Johnny Football, who is now clean and sober. And unemployable. What a waste. He could have been someone's third stringer.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #40: March 06, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
You had me at "Scott Boras is his agent..."

Seriously does it make me sound like a loony if I think there's a chance that Rizzo (or someone) is taking advantage of whatever stupid thing the kid did and using it as one more reason for the Lerners to keep a healthy skepticism when dealing with Boras?  If he's trying to sweet-talk them into a too expensive, too lengthy deal with a certain free agent pitcher, maybe every little bit of dirt helps.

Tinfoil hat or 3D Chess?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #41: March 06, 2018, 10:48:22 AM »
Seriously does it make me sound like a loony if I think there's a chance that Rizzo (or someone) is taking advantage of whatever stupid thing the kid did and using it as one more reason for the Lerners to keep a healthy skepticism when dealing with Boras?  If he's trying to sweet-talk them into a too expensive, too lengthy deal with a certain free agent pitcher, maybe every little bit of dirt helps.

Tinfoil hat or 3D Chess?

Honestly, I didn't give Rizzo that much credit...I think the kid must have really screwed up and didn't leave them any choice.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #42: March 06, 2018, 11:35:09 AM »

Tinfoil hat or 3D Chess?

If Matt Weiters didn't convince the Lerners, why even try?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #43: March 06, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »

Tinfoil hat or 3D Chess?

Screwing with a top prospect's career to tweak the kid's agent? No, that's not likely, that would be dumb, and would probably void Romero's contract if it could be proven.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #44: March 06, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »
Screwing with a top prospect's career to tweak the kid's agent? No, that's not likely, that would be dumb, and would probably void Romero's contract if it could be proven.

I am not implying that he did not fully earn whatever punishment he is getting.  It is purely the publicity aspect that I am curious about.

If Matt Weiters didn't convince the Lerners, why even try?

Maybe Matt Wieters did convince them, but Rizzo wants them to stay convinced.

Like I said, possible tinfoil hat territory but it would not be the first time that a GM sent his message to ownership through the media, nor his last. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #45: March 06, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
The kid acted up, they want to get out in front of it before it becomes a festering problem so they took action.  I don't know enough to question anything other then drafting him in the first place, and that was a calculated risk anyway.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #46: March 06, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »
The kid acted up, they want to get out in front of it before it becomes a festering problem so they took action.  I don't know enough to question anything other then drafting him in the first place, and that was a calculated risk anyway.

Word that I'm hearing is that he was drafted to assist with debt collection and he's been dipping into the take.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #47: March 06, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
Chelsea Janes tweeting that Romero was sent home for repeated curfew violations.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: March 06, 2018, 07:56:24 PM »
Chelsea Janes tweeting that Romero was sent home for repeated curfew violations.

What a piece of garbage. What grown adult can’t accept a curfew

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49: March 07, 2018, 08:39:30 AM »
If the guy can’t fly right after getting kicked off his team in college, I am not sure if there is any hope for him. But apparently his stuff is tanatalizing. I imagine this is some infraction that would have maybe not been handled in the same way in a player without this guy’s history. He should be on a very short leash.