Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P  (Read 13036 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Seth Romero, P
« Reply #175: August 24, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »
I’m just confused why he’s still being developed as a starter.  He has 31.2 innings in 10 starts this year.  He has exactly 2 starts longer than 4 innings.
I'm sorry, did I miss the report that said Seth Romero isnt a LHP that throws mid 90s and has an average change up and a good slider?

He's on an innings limit because he just came off TJS and its been 4 years since he threw over 20 innings in a season.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #176: August 24, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »
I'm sorry, did I miss the report that said Seth Romero isnt a LHP that throws mid 90s and has an average change up and a good slider?

He's on an innings limit because he just came off TJS and its been 4 years since he threw over 20 innings in a season.

He had Tommy John back in 2018.  It’s a plethora of other injuries that have been keeping him off the field.  Last year in his brief major league action as a reliever he averaged only 91.7 mph on his 4 seamer

Offline YadiSTAR aka Smithian

• YadiCHISE
« Reply #177: August 25, 2021, 07:57:49 AM »
As The-Fan-Formerly-Known-As-Smithian has said, the Nats cannot have too many promising minor league pitchers. Maybe he is Happier Seth Romero?
Every AA and AAA pitcher with a pulse is a great trade asset.

We see a guy who may someday be a back of the rotation fill in starter. Another organization may see a LHP with electric stuff who needs a change of scenery.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #178: August 25, 2021, 10:05:01 AM »
Is it really all that unusual for relievers to start in the minors until just about right before their call up?  Papelbon, FWIW, was groomed that way.  I guess that's 15 years ago so that model is out of date, but if a pitcher has more than 2 pitches, he need some innings to use and work on all of them.

No, it's not unusual.  Many even get a few starts in MLB in garbage time before they get converted.  It's too early to say where Romero ends up given his injuries.  They've put him on a weird track even this year - skipped Wilmington, now getting roughly a month in AAA.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #179: August 25, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »
No, it's not unusual.  Many even get a few starts in MLB in garbage time before they get converted.  It's too early to say where Romero ends up given his injuries.  They've put him on a weird track even this year - skipped Wilmington, now getting roughly a month in AAA.
well, he was in camp last year and pitched some in the majors, so I don't think he's considered an A ball pitcher.  I'll guess Fredericksburg was more rehab than anything. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #180: August 25, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »
well, he was in camp last year and pitched some in the majors, so I don't think he's considered an A ball pitcher.  I'll guess Fredericksburg was more rehab than anything.

Even so, a weird track.  There were a few guys who got cups of coffee last year and then went to AA, but it's still odd, especially given that the numbers aren't great.  (Compare to Jose Barrero, who had a cup of coffee in Cincinnati last year, killed AA, killed AAA, and is now back in the majors.)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #181: August 27, 2021, 08:00:23 PM »
He had Tommy John back in 2018.  It’s a plethora of other injuries that have been keeping him off the field.  Last year in his brief major league action as a reliever he averaged only 91.7 mph on his 4 seamer

https://mobile.twitter.com/JessicaCamerato/status/1431394687395508227

95 on the gun. Number 1 in your hearts

Offline welch

• 2019: Won the fight
« Reply #182: August 27, 2021, 08:46:06 PM »
4 innings tonight, 4 hits, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts, 1 run on a double steal against Ruiz and Noll who each made weak and wild throws.