Poll

Have you become apathetic towards the regular season?

Yes
15 (31.9%)
No
32 (68.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Apathetically awaiting the post season?  (Read 11785 times)

Offline Optics

Re: Apathetically awaiting the post season?
« Reply #175: August 05, 2017, 11:33:12 PM »
I don't see the Dodgers as this historically great team. They're insanely hot but I don't know, are they THAT much better than us? We did take 2/3 from them earlier in their park and last years NLDS was damn close.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176: August 05, 2017, 11:42:49 PM »
I don't see the Dodgers as this historically great team. They're insanely hot but I don't know, are they THAT much better than us? We did take 2/3 from them earlier in their park and last years NLDS was damn close.

I imagine that if the Nats had had their current bullpen the whole year, they would be 7 games better than they are now. So on pace for 107 wins. The Dodgers are on pace for 114. So definitely better, but not head and shoulders better. Assuming that everyone but Eaton is healthy for postseason, I think they can give LA a run for their money.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #177: August 10, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »
This week I am feeling apathetic watching the games. Probably will regain interest when the injured players come back.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #178: August 11, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
This week I am feeling apathetic watching the games. Probably will regain interest when the injured players come back.

I also am getting most of my "excitement" out of tracking the progress of the injured players and daydreaming of what a roster with everybody back could look like (minus Eaton).  Everything else is falling into place.  The revamped bullpen looks great.  Gio has managed to continue pitching well and is somebody I now feel okay about starting Game 3 in a series.  Roark is getting back to being his old self.  Harper, Murphy, and Rendon continue to be superstars and Zim hasn't totally tanked.  We'll have a good bench once everybody is back and the "fill-ins" move into bench roles.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #179: August 11, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »
For me, watching Kintzler - Madson - Doolittle breaks the apathy.  That, and watching some of the unexpected contributors (Goodwin, Kendrick, Stevenson) come through is more than enough to make me interested.  Sometimes, I just savor the 3-4-5-6 when they get going.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #180: August 11, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
...Rendon continue to be superstars...

Rendon is hitting .053 in his last 7.  Think that HBP he took has affected him?

« Reply #181: August 11, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »

No, I think it's a miniscule 7-game stretch in baseball. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #182: August 11, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
It's possible.  The eye test says something isn't right with him because he has missed some very hittable pitches that he usually doesn't miss.  Need a larger sample size to say for sure though.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #183: August 11, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
It's possible.  The eye test says something isn't right with him because he has missed some very hittable pitches that he usually doesn't miss.  Need a larger sample size to say for sure though.
About that time for all the excuses to come out.

« Reply #184: August 11, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »
About that time for all the excuses to come out.

Rendon doesn't need excuses.  His numbers speak for themselves.  Anybody can look bad for 7 games in baseball.  If you want to speculate on something other than a normal slump being the cause that's fine, but to say he needs excuses with his numbers this year is dumb.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #185: August 11, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »

gun shy

Offline Monarch

« Reply #186: August 11, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
Rendon doesn't need excuses.  His numbers speak for themselves.  Anybody can look bad for 7 games in baseball.  If you want to speculate on something other than a normal slump being the cause that's fine, but to say he needs excuses with his numbers this year is dumb.

He almost smoked one out of the park last night when he PH. I thought it was gone for sure. I'm not worried about him, although last year in the playoffs he was bad. struck out a lot.

Offline Optics

« Reply #187: August 11, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »
Everyone has that one terrible slump per year. Zimm went through it just recently. Harper earlier. Rendon might be going through it now, but that's fine as long as it doesn't happen again in October. I think Murphy is the only one immune to it, dude always seems to get a hit a game(mind fact I know).

Offline Monarch

« Reply #188: August 11, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
For me, watching Kintzler - Madson - Doolittle breaks the apathy.  That, and watching some of the unexpected contributors (Goodwin, Kendrick, Stevenson) come through is more than enough to make me interested.  Sometimes, I just savor the 3-4-5-6 when they get going.

Difo too has been fun to watch getting regular playing time.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #189: August 11, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »
Too many good story lines to be apathetic. How about the young guns, the rebuilt bullpen, comeback years by Gio and Zimm, MVP campaign by Harper, Scherzer's dominance and maybe CY, etc.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #190: August 11, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »
Everyone has that one terrible slump per year.
He's had his terrible slump.  The month of April.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #191: August 11, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
Difo too has been fun to watch getting regular playing time.
yes, he should have been in that parentheses of unexpected contributors.  Lind nad Taylor, too, but they've been on the team the whole time.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192: August 11, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
I think this actually has been a pretty ideal season in terms of preparation for the playoffs. Assuming everyone except for Eaton and Ross come back from injury. It has allowed a lot of young players to get a lot of playing time. And it’s been fun seeing them develop before our eyes.  And it just means that this team will be all that much deeper for the playoffs. And for the future.
And I know that the bullpen was as a tire fire in the first half, but it was interesting to see how Rizzo was going to deal with it. And so far, I’m really pleased with what he has done. 
The baseball season is long, but I think the Nats have made it entertaining. Not always by choice, but entertaining nonetheless. Especially if you like baseball and watching a team develop.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #193: August 12, 2017, 07:41:08 AM »
If we get to the World Series I would really like us to have home field advantage.  That itself is worth winning every game we can.  I look at the AL won-lost figures every day with that in mind.   Aside from Houston, we're in good shape there and Houston will probably get knocked off in the first round.
I also want home field in the NLDS and I look every day at the Central division teams won-lost figures - we're in good shape there.  (I no longer bother worrying about home field in the NLCS, that's not achievable.)

So every game is exciting for me.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194: August 12, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »
If we get to the World Series I would really like us to have home field advantage.  That itself is worth winning every game we can.  I look at the AL won-lost figures every day with that in mind.   Aside from Houston, we're in good shape there and Houston will probably get knocked off in the first round.
I also want home field in the NLDS and I look every day at the Central division teams won-lost figures - we're in good shape there.  (I no longer bother worrying about home field in the NLCS, that's not achievable.)

So every game is exciting for me.

It’s achievable if the D-Back/Rockies can beat the Dodgers.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #195: August 12, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »
Yea, I have to say, despite the fact that the regular season has been meh to me, watching guys like Difo and Goodwin exceed my expectations has been fun.

« Reply #196: August 12, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
Isn't homefield for the World Series going to the AL since they won the AS game, or did that change?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #197: August 12, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »
Isn't homefield for the World Series going to the AL since they won the AS game, or did that change?
It changed this year.

Offline Optics

« Reply #198: August 12, 2017, 04:40:47 PM »
Home field doesn't mean jack in October and we've actually been a better road than home team this year I believe(or at the very least, we're a damn good road team).

Also in all three of our playoff runs, we were better on the road then at home.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #199: August 12, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
It’s achievable if the D-Back/Rockies can beat the Dodgers.
I hadn't thought of that, probably because it is unlikely. But good point.