Poll

Have you become apathetic towards the regular season?

Yes
15 (31.9%)
No
32 (68.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Apathetically awaiting the post season?  (Read 11815 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Apathetically awaiting the post season?
« Reply #150: August 04, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
Interesting stuff.  Despite owning the third best record in baseball, and projected to remain there, the Nats have the lowest World Series Champion % of any division leader, and less than a 50% of making it out of the divisional series.  I know its all a guess,but its pretty depressing.
Like I said, we're the Capitals of baseball.

Online Slateman

« Reply #151: August 04, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »
It’s because the Dodgers and Cubs are in the NL too. Along with good wild card teams. Given the Dodgers dominance I would have expected a higher percentage for them too. I imagine the presence of the Nats depresses that as well.

What

They've played the Dodgers once in the post season and never the Cubs.

They don't have a WS because for five seasons this team has relied on their starting pitching going 7+ innings and their lineup hitting home runs. Guess what goes away on cold, October nights against other good hitting lineups that are totally focused?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #152: August 04, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
I'd say I'm apathetic at this exact moment but I'll be much more tuned in as guys start to return from injury to see how they progress as we get closer to October.

Online Slateman

« Reply #153: August 04, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
I'd say I'm apathetic at this exact moment but I'll be much more tuned in as guys start to return from injury to see how they progress as we get closer to October.
Same. If this team were still healthy (and I mean like Eaton still healthy too), the regular season would be pretty damn exciting, as I have a feeling we'd be closing in on a pretty special number of wins.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154: August 04, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
\

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/seasonpreview_mlbteampredictions/mlb-team-predictions-2016-season

So random almost half of the experts picked the correct WS champion at the beginning of the year. Yep, random.

You talk about preparation not sufficient? The Warriors literally lucked in to Kevin Durant. But they were prepared. They had cap space. And the NBA is the way it is because one or two players can dominate an entire game. Neither football nor baseball is like that.

Here's the NFL predicitons for the NFC last year: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000693407/article/2016-nfc-playoff-predictions-east-should-be-hotly-contested
One person had the Falcons getting a WC. One.

Hockey is far and away the most luck based sport. The puck literally bounces everywhere. Then football with its one game approach and weirdly shaped ball and odd scoring rules.

Success is not random.

Not completely random. But not completely based on skill and roster management. And the amount of randomness is higher in baseball.

It’s cute that you think that sportwriters and TV blowhards are experts. How cute. If you look at the actual experts, Vegas oddsmakers, it looks like they have gotten two right in the past 10 years. Last years’ cubs and 2013 Red Sox.
But I’m sure you know more than them.
In fact since you know more than everyone, including multiple front offices, why don’t you apply for a GM job somewhere.
Jeez. Can’t even get a guy to admit that luck plays a role in sports.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155: August 04, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
What

They've played the Dodgers once in the post season and never the Cubs.

They don't have a WS because for five seasons this team has relied on their starting pitching going 7+ innings and their lineup hitting home runs. Guess what goes away on cold, October nights against other good hitting lineups that are totally focused?
Do you even know what we are talking about?
Those numbers are based on probabilities and win percentages and run differentials and team WAR and other stats. Not some analysts’ assessment of matchups. It’s simple numbers crunched in a computer.

So I stand by my assessment. The reason the Nats WS probability is lower than you might expect is probably because a statistically historic good team is currently in the NL too.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #156: August 04, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
They don't make shows like that anymore.

(Image removed from quote.)

Someone on here is slipping.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157: August 04, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »
They don't make shows like that anymore.

(Image removed from quote.)

Wait, that was a TV show. I thought it was only a movie... :)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #158: August 04, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
Wait, that was a TV show. I thought it was only a movie... :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159: August 04, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »

Offline spidernat

« Reply #160: August 04, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

I know you think I’m stupid, but come on... :hysterical:

I don't think you're stupid at all. Besides, this was a case of maybe you just not knowing about an old show. :shrug:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161: August 04, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »

I don't think you're stupid at all. Besides, this was a case of maybe you just not knowing about an old show. :shrug:

The thing is, the angels of the 70s were so much superior (except Kate Jackson) But I admit that I only got to see the show in reruns.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #162: August 04, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »
The thing is, the angels of the 70s were so much superior (except Kate Jackson) But I admit that I only got to see the show in reruns.
Kate Jackson was the best angel. She was awesome in Dark Shadows also.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163: August 04, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »

Depends on our definitions of best.  Keep in mind I was like 3 when the show ended. And like 12 when I finally watched it.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #164: August 04, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »
Depends on our definitions of best.  Keep in mind I was like 3 when the show ended. And like 12 when I finally watched it.
Prettiest. The others were all hair.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #165: August 04, 2017, 04:09:27 PM »
Kate was called the one who could act at the time.  Kind of strange given Fawcett's later career.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #166: August 04, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »

A lot of people liked Kate Jackson.

I made a reference to an old show once and the person I was talking to said, "how old are you?" :lmao:

Kate was called the one who could act at the time.

:hysterical:  They were all horrible actors.

Offline Optics

« Reply #167: August 04, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
The Cubs were a heavy favorite last year that ended up winning it all, but that's pretty rare in baseball. When the Giants won it in 2014, they were a Wild Card. The Royals made it in 2014 as a Wild Card, and nobody saw them going back in 2015. The Mets made it in 2015 after not even making the playoffs in 2014, or for quite a few years.

The team with the best record very rarely wins it all in baseball.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #168: August 04, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »
19.1 percent right now.  https://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx 
Less than 1 in five.

After the play in games there will be 8 teams, 1/5 > 1/8 by a wide margin.  1/8 being the average probability.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #169: August 04, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
I used to enjoy the regular season but then my seat cost $7  at RFK in an area roughly equivalent to section 220at Nats Park and I could park in lot 6 for $10 and be what is $45 close today. There was Livo tossing his equipment into the stands after he was pulled from the mound and the emergency room at GW Hospital brining in extra staff whenever Cadiac Chad aka The Chief took the mound ...those were

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #170: August 04, 2017, 10:42:19 PM »

I'm a little disappointed in you in particular, maybe I just need to take an eraser to that shot.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #171: August 05, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
After the play in games there will be 8 teams, 1/5 > 1/8 by a wide margin.  1/8 being the average probability.
Well yeah but my point was that the Dodgers are a so-called "historically great team" and their chance are 1 in 5.  Proves you can't buy a championship, which is what some of our posters think is possible.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #172: August 05, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
The Cubs were preseason favorites to win the World Series in 2004 and didn't even make the playoffs. Vegas oddsmakers are wrong all the time.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #173: August 05, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »
So what's the playoff roster going to look like with some of those on injured list coming back to health ?  Also, in order to participate in the playoffs, does a player have to be on the roster by Sept 1st ?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #174: August 05, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
So what's the playoff roster going to look like with some of those on injured list coming back to health ?  Also, in order to participate in the playoffs, does a player have to be on the roster by Sept 1st ?

No...we went thru that last year...just in the organization...