Author Topic: Where to find...  (Read 5843 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Where to find...
« Topic Start: May 09, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
...the "board rules"... ?

Am I totally overlooking it, or are they tucked away in a corner somewhere?

And mods, can they be pinned to the top of this forum for easier reference?

Just good to not presume, but to know where the boundaries actually lie.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Where to find...
« Reply #1: May 09, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
I am reminded of a saying: "If ya gotta ask...ya wouldn't understand."

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #2: May 09, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »
I know, right? The nerve of people who'd ask. As-if anyone should care.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: May 09, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »
Don't be a jerk and keep uncensored stuff in the uncensored thread sums it up

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #4: May 09, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »
*Especially* politics. :D

Don't be a jerk and keep uncensored stuff in the uncensored thread sums it up

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: May 09, 2017, 05:17:50 PM »
It's just made up as we go along.

People in here call me dumb all the time. Don't take it too personally sturt. Just move on and post what you want. Others will. The mods will step in when they feel like it. It's what we are comfortable with.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #6: May 09, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
Smokes is in charge of the rules?

Now I'm concerned.

Seriously, the board has rules, I'm sure of it. I was told I offended one one time, so there has to be.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #7: May 09, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
It's just made up as we go along.

People in here call me dumb all the time. Don't take it too personally sturt. Just move on and post what you want. Others will. The mods will step in when they feel like it. It's what we are comfortable with.

You presume too much, my friend. That's not where I'm going with the question.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: May 09, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
...the "board rules"... ?

Am I totally overlooking it, or are they tucked away in a corner somewhere?

And mods, can they be pinned to the top of this forum for easier reference?

Just good to not presume, but to know where the boundaries actually lie.

When The Chief gives you one of these  ...   :judge:, you've reached the uncensored boundary.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: May 09, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
You presume too much, my friend. That's not where I'm going with the question.
No politics is the only rule I know of. Everything else is fair game. I am sure one of the mods will be along to answer your question.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #10: May 09, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
Back in 2015, when but a WNFF pup... I received this:

=============================
_sturt_,

You have received a warning for... (yadayadayada)

Please cease these activities and abide by
the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Washington Nationals Fan Forum Team.

No. They exist. I'm sure of it. There does appear to be something called "the forum rules," and I was told by the "Forum Team" to abide by them... which naturally means, I must have been able to access them so I would know what I'm abiding by.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #11: May 09, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »
No politics is the only rule I know of. Everything else is fair game. I am sure one of the mods will be along to answer your question.

JCA will probably lock or move the thread.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #12: May 09, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »

_sturt_,

Regards,

No. They exist. I'm sure of it. There does appear to be something called "the forum rules," and I was told by the "Forum Team" to abide by them... which naturally means, I must have been able to access them so I would know what I'm abiding by.

It's like bein' married.    You don't know the rules until you know.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #13: May 09, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
As far as I remember... and I've done this twice... no, there WERE/ARE rules... they called 'em VOWS, even.... and I had to stand up and repeat em in front of a preacher and a judge... and even worse things happen if I break em.

Hopefully, being a member of this forum is NOTHING like marriage.

But at least, I'm sure, there are rules.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: May 09, 2017, 05:56:59 PM »
It's like bein' married.    You don't know the rules until you know.
Bingo.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: May 09, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
I think when you sign up there's sort of a code you are put on notice.

More or less, the things I pounce on are too much skin, especially in the main boards, racist / misogyny / other bigotry in posts, and heated political discussion outside the politics thread.  Trolling and insult / flame stuff I'll also occasionally intervene.  Threats, too.   

There are threads I will not look at regularly (I'm thinking of one that involves ways to improve the game) so it is possible that those can devolve into name calling :whistle: .  If it gets bad and I have to play NHL linesman and break things up, then I do things like warn and mute people.  Generally, I give lots of room on the back and forth, and prefer to PM the folks involved or leave a visible post saying cool it.

And yes, I'm beginning to think the exchanges on one thread that I don't look at regularly needs to be less personal.  The ignore button is your friend, and turn the other cheek is always appreciated.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #16: May 09, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »
I think when you sign up there's sort of a code you are put on notice.

More or less, the things I pounce on are too much skin, especially in the main boards, racist / misogyny / other bigotry in posts, and heated political discussion outside the politics thread.  Trolling and insult / flame stuff I'll also occasionally intervene.  Threats, too.   

There are threads I will not look at regularly (I'm thinking of one that involves ways to improve the game) so it is possible that those can devolve into name calling :whistle: .  If it gets bad and I have to play NHL linesman and break things up, then I do things like warn and mute people.  Generally, I give lots of room on the back and forth, and prefer to PM the folks involved or leave a visible post saying cool it.

And yes, I'm beginning to think the exchanges on one thread that I don't look at regularly needs to be less personal.  The ignore button is your friend, and turn the other cheek is always appreciated.

Name calling?

Not sure... and I'm not kidding when I say this... what thread that references. I don't do that just as a matter of principle, and I'm purty-sure no one called me anything in recent memory, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

You sure there's no actual rules written down somewhere? I checked, and this is all I got when I signed up...

====================
Welcome, _sturt_!
Your account has been activated manually by the admin and you can now login and post. Your username is: _sturt_. If you forget your password, you can change it at http://www.wnff.net/index.php?action=reminder.
Regards,
===============

When I was an admin/owner over at Hawksquawk eons ago, I found it mighty helpful to have some black and white so that it was easier for everyone to know where the gray was.... including between the mods I had.

Seemed far less need for any moderation as a result, and especially made it easier for newbies, if they happened to be coming from boards that had been tightly or over-moderated, or vice versa. When people don't know the rules, it's easier for them to assume they know the rules when they really don't. And easier for some things to slide by, too, that probably wouldn't if it weren't for the fact that like umpires, all of us have our better days than others.

So, this just throws me off... especially because I was in fact led to believe that there was something called "forum rules." It's hard to understand why someone would write a message that references "forum rules," and warns against transgressing them or-else, if in fact none ever even existed. I bet they did at one time. Surely.

By the way... footnote regarding that thread you were referencing... don't need no "ignore" button when you're fully capable of ignoring anyhow. Hope it doesn't fly past you that when I tell someone, "This is obviously not productive, and though I'm sure you're a nice enough person, I'm done on my end."... that's exactly what happens (on my end, that is).

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: May 09, 2017, 06:47:15 PM »
Name calling?

Not sure... and I'm not kidding when I say this... what thread that references. I don't do that just as a matter of principle, and I'm purty-sure no one called me anything in recent memory, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

You sure there's no actual rules written down somewhere? I checked, and this is all I got when I signed up...

====================
Welcome, _sturt_!
Your account has been activated manually by the admin and you can now login and post. Your username is: _sturt_. If you forget your password, you can change it at http://www.wnff.net/index.php?action=reminder.
Regards,
===============

When I was an admin/owner over at Hawksquawk eons ago, I found it mighty helpful to have some black and white so that it was easier for everyone to know where the gray was.... including between the mods I had.

Seemed far less need for any moderation as a result, and especially made it easier for newbies, if they happened to be coming from boards that had been tightly or over-moderated, or vice versa. When people don't know the rules, it's easier for them to assume they know the rules when they really don't. And easier for some things to slide by, too, that probably wouldn't if it weren't for the fact that like umpires, all of us have our better days than others.

So, this just throws me off... especially because I was in fact led to believe that there was something called "forum rules." It's hard to understand why someone would write a message that references "forum rules," and warns against transgressing them or-else, if in fact none ever even existed. I bet they did at one time. Surely.

By the way... footnote regarding that thread you were referencing... don't need no "ignore" button when you're fully capable of ignoring anyhow. Hope it doesn't fly past you that when I tell someone, "This is obviously not productive, and though I'm sure you're a nice enough person, I'm done on my end."... that's exactly what happens (on my end, that is).

I expect you're the kind of person who needs to have the last word. Let's see if my suspicion is confirmed...

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #18: May 09, 2017, 06:51:06 PM »
Right.

Your point, Smokes?

NJ didn't call me a name... only said he expects I'm the kind of person who likes to have the last word. Nothing wrong with him saying that.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #19: May 09, 2017, 06:58:40 PM »

_sturt_,

Regards,

That likely came from Squab...I got one too...  :mg:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: May 09, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »
Name calling?

====================
Welcome, _sturt_!
Regards,
===============

there is something when you sign up.  I don't know know why they aren't stickied in some forum.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: May 09, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »
As for name calling, I don't jump on it all the time due to the rough and tumble nature of the internet, but if i see it escalating into a back and forth, then I might do something.  I figure most people realize that name calling means you've lost the argument so just don't do it.  There's a few who have been warned about it. 

Really, while i might be a bit more visible when I act, and probably do try to keep topics on point while at the same time try to keep too many threads being started on the same point, The Chief sets policy, and Tom has been at this longer than Nathan, me or Squab so we tend to defer to their judgment.

They'll comment if they want here.  They do read the suggestion threads.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #22: May 11, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
What's done is done, but just sayin... don't see how it's ever a bad idea to be forthcoming with expectations, and especially so when you have personalities of all types--the hypersensitive and the insensitive, the extroverts and the introverts, the kind who are open to new ways of thinking about things and the kind who are contrarian to thinking about things in any new way, the kind who think they already know it all and the kind who are constantly questioning whether they know it all--gathering together in an otherwise anonymous forum to have their say.

Clearly, if there is indeed something that people are exposed to when they first sign-up, there's agreement on that much (ie, forthcoming with expectations). So the speed limits exist, evidently... there just aren't any signs beyond the first one on the road that we all passed years ago. On its own, putting up speed limit signs certainly doesn't mean everyone will fall in-line, but for those who generally want to considerate of the community's preferences for how fast is too fast, signage only makes sense.

Some thoughts in that, fwiw... and btw, maybe "guidelines" is the better term than "rules"...

1. If you object to someone else's opinion, that's part of what makes a discussion board an interesting place to spend some time... so, great... that's a good thing... but then, check yourself and try to make a conscious effort to offer something new each time you post, and by that, we don't mean just some new clever way of insulting the other point of view, but actual new rationale/substance/evidence in support of your opposing point of view.

2. When someone counterpoints your counterpoint, again, that's great... so, please see it just that way. If they thought your response was that of a 5 year-old, they wouldn't bother to respond because they would have no actual regard that your counterpoint was worth even granting a response... rather, they thought your counterpoint was at least intelligent enough that it merited a response. Pause to appreciate that rather than considering it somehow offensive.

3. Almost all bring a certain moxie to a board where opinions are shared and compared, and so any board is vulnerable to being overrun by people who post as much as anything for the sheer ego-kick of personal attack and/or generally trying to undermine others as being inferior people. Attacking others' arguments (especially in a substantive way, and not merely shallow insult) is the nature of a board. That's okay, and in fact, to the degree that the arguments are high-quality arguments, it's what makes a board worth participating in. But that's different than attacking others' character or intelligence or competence.

So some humility and conscientiousness both when you're posting and when you're reading others' posts... not to mention some humor and even some self-deprecation on occasion... just make it that much more likely that the board is going to flourish.

That part is a challenge for me... and some would quickly reply, "Obviously." I know, I know.

But just don't be blind that that's a challenge for most of us... we all take ourselves seriously enough that we think someone might care about what we think, otherwise, we wouldn't be here posting what we think. Right?

4. Criticize the substance that the other person is presenting, not meaningless sidebars. When you divert to finding other sidebars to criticize that have nothing in reality to-do with the topic, it's a reflection that you have no other ammunition, so you're pulling butter knives out of the drawer and throwing them instead. Makes you look desperate, but also waters down the vigor of the discussion.

5. If you're not interested in a topic, that's okay. Doesn't mean that others have no right to be interested in it, and to pursue it. And consequently, they shouldn't be subjected to your ridicule for being interested and participating in it. Click on it the first time, and if you think it's a nothing topic and you have no interest to contribute, be respectful enough to walk away. Don't be that guy who pisses on others' discussions, and comes across as the 7th grade attention seeker.

My two cents.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: May 11, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
You can "attack"/question a position without "attacking" the individual who submitted it. 

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #24: May 11, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
You can "attack"/question a position without "attacking" the individual who submitted it.

Yep. (re: #3)