Author Topic: FiOS MASN Streaming  (Read 7830 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
FiOS MASN Streaming
« Topic Start: March 23, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
For those of you who are FiOS "and" Verizon wireless customers, you can now stream MASN (and every other channel, plus content on your DVR) to your wireless device.  FiOS streaming does not apply against your bandwidth caps (this of course only applies to those who don't have the new unlimited plan.)   You just need the FiOS app on your device, configured to work with your set top boxes.

I'm watching today's game on my iPhone.  This will save the cost of having to buy MLB.TV and figure out a hack to stream in-market games.

UPDATE: Only allows live streaming if your phone and set top box are on the same in-home WiFi network

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: FiOS MASN Streaming
« Reply #1: March 23, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
Cool  :clap:

Offline imref

« Reply #2: March 23, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
Update.  ARGHHH  live streaming of MASN to a mobile phone only works if the phone is on the same WiFi network as the set top box.

They are only offering a limited number of channels for streaming over their cellular network (plus access to recorded content on the DVR).  So this is only really useful if you want to watch a game, in your home, on your phone or tablet. 

Sorry.

Offline phil219

« Reply #3: March 23, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
It's a start, but it's not enough. MASN needs to offer a streaming service for customers who are willing to pay for it, but have "cut the cord" and watch everything via stream, which is the absolute future.

It's time to free ourselves from the shackles of cable and rise up, choosing our content via a la carte purchase, and watching it over the high speed wi-fi. Good day.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: March 23, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
For those of you who are FiOS "and" Verizon wireless customers, you can now stream MASN (and every other channel, plus content on your DVR) to your wireless device.  FiOS streaming does not apply against your bandwidth caps (this of course only applies to those who don't have the new unlimited plan.)   You just need the FiOS app on your device, configured to work with your set top boxes.

I'm watching today's game on my iPhone.  This will save the cost of having to buy MLB.TV and figure out a hack to stream in-market games.

I think I'd need a new phone.    :couch:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: March 23, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »
I don't have FIOS but I get offers in the mail from them continually so maybe I could qualify?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #6: March 23, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
I don't have FIOS but I get offers in the mail from them continually so maybe I could qualify?

If I get a new phone to do this, can people call me while I have it on watching baseball?

Offline imref

« Reply #7: March 23, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
If I get a new phone to do this, can people call me while I have it on watching baseball?

See my update above - you can only watch MASN live if you are at home and your FiOS box and phone are on the Verizon WiFi network.  If you get a call it just temporarily stops the FiOS app.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: March 23, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
See my update above - you can only watch MASN live if you are at home and your FiOS box and phone are on the Verizon WiFi network.  If you get a call it just temporarily stops the FiOS app.

Thanks imref.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #9: March 23, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
It's a start, but it's not enough. MASN needs to offer a streaming service for customers who are willing to pay for it, but have "cut the cord" and watch everything via stream, which is the absolute future.

It's time to free ourselves from the shackles of cable and rise up, choosing our content via a la carte purchase, and watching it over the high speed wi-fi. Good day.

Thàt will never happen. Well not while carriage cable fees are still their primary revenue stream.  The best cord cutters can hope for is Vue, DirecTV now or sling to carry their channel. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: March 23, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »
Sure. And you can ignore those calls because baseball is more important.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #11: March 23, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »
Sure. And you can ignore those calls because baseball is more important.

No doubt.       My problem is I don't even want to be notified that there is a call.    Maybe I should go the IPad route.    :)

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #12: March 24, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
Thàt will never happen. Well not while carriage cable fees are still their primary revenue stream.  The best cord cutters can hope for is Vue, DirecTV now or sling to carry their channel.

But needing a "channel" is old thinking. Cut the cord and stream the "program" you want.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: March 24, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »
But needing a "channel" is old thinking. Cut the cord and stream the "program" you want.
Many you can't stream unless you have a cable or satellite tv subscription.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #14: March 24, 2017, 09:29:18 AM »
Update.  ARGHHH  live streaming of MASN to a mobile phone only works if the phone is on the same WiFi network as the set top box.

So you grab your phone and a cold beverage and head out to your deck and enjoy the game.  :cheers:

Offline imref

« Reply #15: March 24, 2017, 01:42:54 PM »
So you grab your phone and a cold beverage and head out to your deck and enjoy the game.  :cheers:

:thumbs:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #16: March 24, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Can't get FIOS where I live :(

Offline Lshav22

« Reply #17: January 27, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »
Hope it is not a problem that I'm bringing this old thread back to the top. I recently got Fios again and I can't get MASN to play on Fios Mobile. It only gives me the "Watch on TV" option and my phone is on the same wifi as my set top box. Do you need Extended DVR to get this service? I asked the Fios tech support people but they seem to be clueless.

Offline imref

« Reply #18: January 27, 2018, 11:01:47 AM »
Hope it is not a problem that I'm bringing this old thread back to the top. I recently got Fios again and I can't get MASN to play on Fios Mobile. It only gives me the "Watch on TV" option and my phone is on the same wifi as my set top box. Do you need Extended DVR to get this service? I asked the Fios tech support people but they seem to be clueless.

Check to see that your wireless device is on your FiOS WiFi network.  If not, you'll only be able to watch a small amount of channels on your mobile device.  Unfortunately this means you can't watch MASN through your phone when you aren't in range of your FiOS WiFi.

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #19: January 27, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
No doubt.       My problem is I don't even want to be notified that there is a call.    Maybe I should go the IPad route.    :)
most phones have a “Do Not Disturb” feature, I think.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: January 27, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »
Masn may be restricted to cable (they don’t own streaming rights to all of their properties so they may just ban it completely instead of trying to parce their schedule)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #21: January 28, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
Cox will let you stream it, however only on the home network

Offline Hogie

« Reply #22: January 29, 2018, 01:34:03 PM »
MASN has never appeared on my FIOS app as an option to watch it on my phone. I can watch 576 and 578 but no 577

Offline Monarch

« Reply #23: January 29, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »
Cox will let you stream it, however only on the home network

Same with Comcast. MASN won't work unless you're on the home network. The one thing you can do (which really isn't that great) is you can download content from your DVR to your device that has the comcast app (I run it on a Kindle Fire tablet). The problem is that you can't download content until the end of airing time. So, those early to bed, early to rise people could find that an effective route as long as you can avoid checking the score.

Otherwise it sucks that you can't stream MASN. I am about to cut the cord (I have tried sling and PS Vue and am going to use Vue - sling sucked IMO), but I'll be in a bind during baseball season.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #24: February 01, 2018, 01:51:26 PM »
Same with Comcast. MASN won't work unless you're on the home network. The one thing you can do (which really isn't that great) is you can download content from your DVR to your device that has the comcast app (I run it on a Kindle Fire tablet). The problem is that you can't download content until the end of airing time. So, those early to bed, early to rise people could find that an effective route as long as you can avoid checking the score.

Otherwise it sucks that you can't stream MASN. I am about to cut the cord (I have tried sling and PS Vue and am going to use Vue - sling sucked IMO), but I'll be in a bind during baseball season.

mlb.tv single team option and unlocator.com smartdns worked great for me last season.   It works great on everything but android devices (including firetv) because those require GPS locating.