Author Topic: Re: Nationals trade for ... Derek Norris  (Read 3851 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Re: Nationals trade for ... Derek Norris
« Reply #50: March 18, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »
Leon happens to be hitting like old Leon.  There's a real question of who gets what time there.  They probably are willing to go with 2 defense-first catchers and let Swihart get in a lot of work in AAA at the start of the year.  Neither Vazquez nor Leon have options, so they can't really add Norris without waiving one or the other.

Sandy León's BABIP was .392 last year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: March 18, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
Ok. You mean in spring training?
not just spring training.  Every level except 2016, when he was jerked around and hurt himself in left field.  His bat has not been questioned.  It's his glove.  If it is adequate at C, then he's a starter, sort of in the Posada / Piazza  (or Norris / Tettleton) mode.  His was good enough for him to get a shot at left field.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #52: March 18, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
not just spring training.  Every level except 2016, when he was jerked around and hurt himself in left field.  His bat has not been questioned.  It's his glove.  If it is adequate at C, then he's a starter, sort of in the Posada / Piazza  (or Norris / Tettleton) mode.  His was good enough for him to get a shot at left field.
Ok. I think that's just an excuse when guys say they struggle because they are jerked around. If you can hit you should hit. Maybe he just had an off year.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #53: March 19, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »
Actually, Swihart is hitting very well.  They are sending him down because he has an option and the others don't, and they want him to focus exclusively on catching after jerking him around last year and having him hurt.

He needs a lot of work as a catcher.  This is for the best.  I don't think he's ever going to be any more than a passable defensive catcher in the majors, but he's got a way to go to even get there.  If he can, he becomes quite a weapon - a guy who can catch 4 days a week and play 2 or 3 other positions as well, allowing you to keep two catchers fresh over a long season and rest other guys too without losing too much bat.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #54: March 19, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »
He needs a lot of work as a catcher.  This is for the best.  I don't think he's ever going to be any more than a passable defensive catcher in the majors, but he's got a way to go to even get there.  If he can, he becomes quite a weapon - a guy who can catch 4 days a week and play 2 or 3 other positions as well, allowing you to keep two catchers fresh over a long season and rest other guys too without losing too much bat.
Agree with most of what you are saying. 

I'm guessing with Norris gone, it's almost time to take the Norris talk to the Former Nat thread or the out of town scoreboard.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #55: July 05, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
Wilson Ramos is playing again for the Rays.  6 games back now, I didn't even realize.  good for him, I hope he does well.  So far 2 homers, 6 RBI.  That's twice as many RBIs as Jose Lobaton in case you're wondering.

Norris DFA'd by the Rays to make room for Ramos.  Maybe we should get him back as our backup to replace Lobs.  Dude has 9 homers and 24 RBI.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #56: July 06, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
Wilson Ramos is playing again for the Rays.  6 games back now, I didn't even realize.  good for him, I hope he does well.  So far 2 homers, 6 RBI.  That's twice as many RBIs as Jose Lobaton in case you're wondering.

Norris DFA'd by the Rays to make room for Ramos.  Maybe we should get him back as our backup to replace Lobs.  Dude has 9 homers and 24 RBI.
I agree and said so several times in other threads.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #57: July 06, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
Of course, Derek Norris is also being investigated after his ex said he assaulted her.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #58: July 06, 2017, 10:21:37 AM »
Of course, Derek Norris is also being investigated after his ex said he assaulted her.

Ah, the old presumed innocent thing.    Not that I think we should give him a try.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Nationals trade for ... Derek Norris
« Reply #59: July 06, 2017, 12:15:09 PM »
Maybe Norris can become a relief pitcher?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #60: July 06, 2017, 06:14:35 PM »
If Al Capone could pitch the ninth I would sign him

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #61: August 05, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
Has anyone picked him up or signed him to a MiLB contract?

Offline whytev

« Reply #62: August 05, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »
Ah, the old presumed innocent thing.    Not that I think we should give him a try.

Putting that allegation aside, rumours abound that he is a prick nobody wants to pitch to.  And you don't need to prove that in a court of law to make a decision.

Wieters isn't wowing with the glove or the bat, but Gio González adores him, and as long as that guy has mojo I'm wondering what intangibles he provides.  Maybe he is an excellent pitch selector?  Counsellor?  I don't even know.