Author Topic: Pardon the pretentiousness but I'm infatuated with this new logo I built on PPT  (Read 1456 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
... and wondering if I'm too impressed. So, interested in your critique, both what you like (if anything) and what you don't like. You'll probably immediately ask "What's new? It's not so much 'new' as it is 'modified.'" And that's true. Not actually interested in an overhaul b/c I mainly like what's been done, but I've always felt it could be better put together.

(By way of explanation, I'm one of the many who got his undergrad degree (in this case, advertising) that he never actually used. So/but I like to mess around with this kind of thing.)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I don't care for the old block letters...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I don't care for the old block letters...

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste, we're old block letters.        :old:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
... and wondering if I'm too impressed. So, interested in your critique, both what you like (if anything) and what you don't like. You'll probably immediately ask "What's new? It's not so much 'new' as it is 'modified.'" And that's true. Not actually interested in an overhaul b/c I mainly like what's been done, but I've always felt it could be better put together.

(Image removed from quote.)

(By way of explanation, I'm one of the many who got his undergrad degree (in this case, advertising) that he never actually used. So/but I like to mess around with this kind of thing.)

I like it but there's a "business" (sp) about it that's distracting to the message.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste, we're old block letters.        :old:

:lmao:

I like it sturt, nice job :thumbs:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The old Fuddruckers font.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
The block letters don't really fit. It's a really retro-looking logo, but the Fuddruckers font distracts from that.

Offline _sturt_

Respectfully disagree on the one point... i.e., the Fuddruckers font, as its called, is indeed "retro" itself... reminiscent of something one would see in a 30s/40s/50s era, especially popular among banks, conveying an aire of some distinction.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Respectfully disagree on the one point... i.e., the Fuddruckers font, as its called, is indeed "retro" itself... reminiscent of something one would see in a 30s/40s/50s era, especially popular among banks, conveying an aire of some distinction.
Perhaps, but it looks odd when put next to the curly :w:. They don't match. That was an issue back when the Fuddruckers font was actually used on the uniforms.

Online Natsinpwc

This thread makes me hungry for a good burger.

Offline _sturt_

Perhaps, but it looks odd when put next to the curly :w:. They don't match.

I get what you're saying. And you won't agree, but imo, with the "national-ized" curly W, they do now. Then, adding the gold accent with the diamond sets it all off in a neat package from my perspective. I don't like how the gold was used previously, b/c I think it has to be paired w/ one color or the other, not both (comes off too dark overall, imo). But I decided it's necessary to distinguish us from all those other red-white-blue schemes (too too many), and even looks sharp when used this way--not dominant, but just an accent, and again only appearing in complement to the blue.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

It's an appealing set of graphics - the diamond is a cool touch - but not all in one.  I think it's a little too busy.  The diamond as a background for the W and the Fudd font as a secondary/alternate logo would be cool.

Offline _sturt_

Second person to say it looks too busy. Interesting. I'm open to the possibility that's a widely-held reaction.

To me, there's just three common/routine elements here:

- Primary logo ("nationalized" curly W, which would theoretically show-up on unis where the current curly W shows up)... 

- Wordmark below it (which again, would theoretically show-up on uns where the current "Nationals" shows up)... and

- The diamond element just to add some boundaries to package the primary logo and the wordmark together, while injecting the gold accent that sets apart the Washington Nationals logo set from most all of the rest.

But to be clear, I wouldn't imagine the diamond to show up on uniforms (unless you did it with special events or for spring training), nor would I imagine the entire packaged set to show up that way. Rather, the set would be featured as part of the website banner, on game programs, and that kind of thing.

Offline _sturt_

Fwiw, for those of you who use Firefox, I've uploaded this as a new theme that anyone who'd like can have heading their browser.

Here's the link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nationalized-curly-w-dia/

Offline In the Dark

As long as the W stands for Washington, I love it. Spent too many years without a home town team.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I think it looks very good.  I strongly disagree about it being "busy".  One aspect of something being busy is the "busyness" takes away from the ability to understand the item.  I don't think that's the case here.