Poll

When should Garcia take over as starting SS?

Should have happened already
4 (25%)
6/1
5 (31.3%)
7/1
4 (25%)
After ASB
0 (0%)
8/1
2 (12.5%)
9/1 call up
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Luis Garcia, SS (Poll Added)  (Read 10184 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Luis Garcia, SS
« Reply #125: April 15, 2022, 11:07:13 PM »
You continue to prove my point so I just don't think we see eye to eye on this. Andrew Vaughn took his lumps last year and in year two is looking terrific. The Mariners and Angels are sticking with Adell/Kelenic and I think it will work out here soon. This idea that you call up a young player too early and their development is ruined is just archaic to me. Again, for a Pitcher, I get it, for a QB in the NFL, I get it, but for position players, call them up and let them take their lumps at the pro level, if you have the luxury which we have.

If the Nationals were the Mets/Braves/Phillies and every game mattered, sure, let Garcia soak in AAA until he is fully developed, but for the Nationals this year, it doesn't make as much sense. These guys don't get "ruined", they just have a slow start.
Vaughn played three years of college ball, a year in the minor, and then played a year on the US National Team. Oh and then he hit .435  in ST this year.

Vaughn is light years ahead of Garcia. He was significantly better than him last year as well.

Baseball is littered with talented prospects who were called up too soon. Hell, the Mariners could put together an entire roster on from the last time they made the playoffs.

You admitted it. Garcia hasnt fully developed. There is no reason to do it at the MLB level. That ia literally what the minors are for.