Author Topic: NFL Thread (2017-18)  (Read 64432 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: NFL Thread (2017-18)
« Reply #125: June 15, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
It won't matter.     :)     

Won't get an argument out of me or Skippy  :hysterical:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #126: June 25, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »
David Carr, 5 years, 125 million

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127: June 25, 2017, 11:12:20 AM »
David Carr, 5 years, 125 million
this is part of the question, "Who are the 18 NFL QBs who have higher salaries than Tom Brady?"  :lmao:

Carr, Flacco, Palmer, Cousins, Ryan, Stafford, Tannehill, Newton, Rivers, Eli, Luck, Brees, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Bradford, Smith, Osweiler, and Dalton - https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2017/

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #128: June 25, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
this is part of the question, "Who are the 18 NFL QBs who have higher salaries than Tom Brady?"  :lmao:

Carr, Flacco, Palmer, Cousins, Ryan, Stafford, Tannehill, Newton, Rivers, Eli, Luck, Brees, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Bradford, Smith, Osweiler, and Dalton - https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2017/

The other part of the question is whose wife makes $30.5 million?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129: June 25, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »
The other part of the question is whose wife makes $30.5 million?
Oh, she has some other assets, too.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #130: July 25, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #131: August 03, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »
Just flipping channels and found out the NFL is on TV tonight.  Well it is August.  I am interested if I keep as much interest in football knowing that almost all of the players will end up impaired by CTE. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #132: August 03, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »
Just flipping channels and found out the NFL is on TV tonight.  Well it is August.  I am interested if I keep as much interest in football knowing that almost all of the players will end up impaired by CTE. 

You really think that? Almost all the players?  There aren't a bunch on tv commentating, or being successful business people, or just living nice lives? Not saying it's not a risk but I think saying every player is going to end up brain damaged is a pretty big exaggeration.  How many soccer players brains have been examined? Baseball players? Hockey for heavens sake??  You don't think they're suffering concussions? Didn't Dale Jr retire due to repeated concussions? Football is risky no doubt but I don't buy most players are going to lose their minds because of playing.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #133: August 03, 2017, 10:11:57 PM »
You really think that? Almost all the players?  There aren't a bunch on tv commentating, or being successful business people, or just living nice lives? Not saying it's not a risk but I think saying every player is going to end up brain damaged is a pretty big exaggeration.  How many soccer players brains have been examined? Baseball players? Hockey for heavens sake??  You don't think they're suffering concussions? Didn't Dale Jr retire due to repeated concussions? Football is risky no doubt but I don't buy most players are going to lose their minds because of playing.
Read the article on the study references below. It was 99 percent. Doesn't mean they are all totally dysfunctional but they are all
Impacted. It's probably true for hockey also.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #134: August 03, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »
Read the article on the study references below. It was 99 percent. Doesn't mean they are all totally dysfunctional but they are all
Impacted. It's probably true for hockey also.

I did read it.  The study acknowledges that there may be bias since the only relatives donating brains are those who feel their loved one showed signs on brain damage, without a bunch of brains of players who'd never exhibited any signs the study is flawed.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #135: August 03, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »
I did read it.  The study acknowledges that there may be bias since the only relatives donating brains are those who feel their loved one showed signs on brain damage, without a bunch of brains of players who'd never exhibited any signs the study is flawed.
Is that you Roger?  The NIH will be glad to know they don't know how to do scientific studies. 

Of course they don't have the brains of players not showing symptoms and they never will.  So we should not pay attention to this? So maybe it's only 30 percent.  Or 40 percent--It must be significant whatever the actual percentage is.  You would think that of all these people donating brains due to odd behavior that more than one would have been found to not have CTE.  Wouldn't you?  Wouldn't you think that there would be some that just went crazy on their own?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #136: August 03, 2017, 11:20:11 PM »
Is that you Roger?  The NIH will be glad to know they don't know how to do scientific studies. 

Of course they don't have the brains of players not showing symptoms and they never will.  So we should not pay attention to this? So maybe it's only 30 percent.  Or 40 percent--It must be significant whatever the actual percentage is.  You would think that of all these people donating brains due to odd behavior that more than one would have been found to not have CTE.  Wouldn't you?  Wouldn't you think that there would be some that just went crazy on their own?

So if I don't swallow hook line and sinker studies that are acknowledged to be biased I'm a stooge for the NFL? :roll:
I don't even love football as much anymore but the point is until we have a bunch of brains of people who aren't showing symptoms we won't know for sure it's CTE that's made some "go crazy" because maybe 97% of brains from all players show CTE and only a small portion actually "go crazy", or maybe the majority won't show any CTE who knows but we can't say anything definitively until broader studies are done is all my point was.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: August 04, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »

Something like 1200 total NFL players died over the period where they received donors. For the sake of argument assume none of the rest had CTE  and you still have a 9% rate which is huge. My concern is the college players who tested positive- most college players aren't getting nearly the compensation the pros are so you can't really talk about them knowingly making a trade off

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #138: August 04, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
So if I don't swallow hook line and sinker studies that are acknowledged to be biased I'm a stooge for the NFL? :roll:
I don't even love football as much anymore but the point is until we have a bunch of brains of people who aren't showing symptoms we won't know for sure it's CTE that's made some "go crazy" because maybe 97% of brains from all players show CTE and only a small portion actually "go crazy", or maybe the majority won't show any CTE who knows but we can't say anything definitively until broader studies are done is all my point was.
Study is not biased. They just don't have brains from "healthy" players to study. See half smokes comment. If the rate is like 10 percent that is about 10 players on the field on any given Sunday. In the next ten years or so you will see football start to disappear at the high school level.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #139: August 04, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
Once the insurance companies catch on,  it's over.

Study is not biased. They just don't have brains from "healthy" players to study. See half smokes comment. If the rate is like 10 percent that is about 10 players on the field on any given Sunday. In the next ten years or so you will see football start to disappear at the high school level.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #140: August 04, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
Once the insurance companies catch on,  it's over.

States are already passing laws to excuse schools from liability. I think football dies among families with educated parents- I just don't see families having a conversation and it ending with the kid being allowed to play. It probably won't dent the NFL talent pool, but I wonder if the college game will suffer

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #141: August 04, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »
Larger picture here:  I legitimately think this is starting to kill the NFL.  There is no single rule change that has made me lose interest but I really have lost interest over the years.  The kickoff being moved to the 35 irked me the most and the "defenseless receiver" rule was ill-conceived from the beginning (defensive players can't change direction in a split-second to avoid an offensive player who is ducking his head).  I'm not making a statement specifically on whether rules for player safety are good or not.  I'm just saying that the way the game is changing is making it a worse product, and if you look at the NFL's ratings last season, people are starting to notice.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #143: August 06, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/04/jim-plunketts-painful-journey-my-life-sucks/

"But look at my 81 pound Super Bowl book...and I sure hope my grandson plays football."

So tired of these people who would most likely make the same career choice again, even if they knew the ultimate consequences, whining about their current lot in life...yet still clinging to those glory days.

Yes...football will freak you up.  You went to college and you don't know that?  Of course you do...but you suffer from the "It won't happen to me...it'll happen to the other guy" syndrome. 

Dress them all in inflatable sumo costumes and call a penalty for unnecessary roughness on every play.  That's where the sport is headed...(no pun intended)...the same direction as NASCAR...with rule changes made every day in an effort to save it.  Good luck...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144: August 06, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »
Cutler signs with the Dolphins.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #145: August 06, 2017, 01:59:10 PM »

I heard the rumor of that yesterday   ....   wow.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #146: August 06, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »

They must have ID'd a top first round draft pick...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #147: August 06, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »
They must have ID'd a top first round draft pick...

Colin Kaepernick in 3 - 2 - 1  ....

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #148: August 06, 2017, 09:44:40 PM »

I actually think he's going to do well there, he's been at his best with Gase and they've got some good weapons. 

But that didn't stop me from lol'ing at my Dolphin-fan son in law today  :rofl:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #149: August 07, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
I actually think he's going to do well there, he's been at his best with Gase and they've got some good weapons. 

But that didn't stop me from lol'ing at my Dolphin-fan son in law today  :rofl:
The problem with Cutler though, even when he was with Gase, is that the sum has always been less than the parts.  Cutler just doesn't have the toughness or the leadership ability to be a winning NFL quarterback.  He has made a career out of seducing GM's with his physical skills, some of which are off the charts.  Put Peyton Manning's brain in him and you have a guy who would have won several Super Bowls in his career but he just doesn't have what it takes between the ears.  He can't motivate himself to play through small injuries and he gets incredibly discouraged when his team is down.  Cutler is a far more physically talented quarterback than Tom Brady but watch Brady on the sidelines working his team up when they were down 28-3 in the Super Bowl.  That's the kind of leadership a quarterback has to have to win Super Bowls and Cutler will never have it.