Author Topic: Partnering WNFF with a Blog/Website (2017)  (Read 3281 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Partnering WNFF with a Blog/Website (2017)
« Topic Start: February 20, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »
A run down of the blogs covering the Nats this spring, that includes a mention of WNFF: http://www.talknats.com/2017/02/20/nats-blogs-to-watch-this-spring/

We've kicked around the idea of our own blog before ( http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30599.0 ) , but with The Chief interested in a partnership with other blogs, it seems like a good idea for discussion again.  Look at the old thread if you want to see ground covered, also to see Blue911 in top form, and post your thoughts here - JCA

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #1: February 20, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »
This would allow for Talk Nats to keep the game day threads running the same as always while mimicking a site like WNFF that gets triple the number of page clicks per visit and more than double the number of minutes spent per visit by having a half dozen or more different topics up for discussion at any given time.

They need a politics forum.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: February 27, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »
For what it's worth I'm always open to discussing partnerships with other sites.  Appreciate the mention.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #3: March 01, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »
For what it's worth I'm always open to discussing partnerships with other sites.  Appreciate the mention.

WNFF and Talk Nats would not be a great match because both sites are already very popular and there is no reason to mess with a good thing. What both sites could do is minor tweaks to copy what works with the other site. I'd like for Talk Nats to separate topical threads from game day threads so that conversations on a particular subject can continue for multiple days. WNFF could create another Group of boards (like Community) and create boards for individual bloggers to post long form entries. Then invite some of the independent bloggers to use WNFF as their host site, adding to the WNFF content and providing a lot more clicks than some of the lesser known blogs receive.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #4: March 01, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »
Not sure I understand what is meant by posting long form entries.

WNFF and Talk Nats would not be a great match because both sites are already very popular and there is no reason to mess with a good thing. What both sites could do is minor tweaks to copy what works with the other site. I'd like for Talk Nats to separate topical threads from game day threads so that conversations on a particular subject can continue for multiple days. WNFF could create another Group of boards (like Community) and create boards for individual bloggers to post long form entries. Then invite some of the independent bloggers to use WNFF as their host site, adding to the WNFF content and providing a lot more clicks than some of the lesser known blogs receive.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #5: March 01, 2017, 08:38:59 PM »

I was wondering the same thing.    Glad you brought it up.   I was thinking that a lot of long form entries are posted with links to the story/article.    I wonder if PB wants to give us a thread/forum for bloggers and their entries as a point of origin (WNFF).     If we become a point for original pieces, that could be a good thing.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: March 01, 2017, 08:41:18 PM »

I imagine he means posts of 1000 words or greater. More like blog posts or columns than forum posts. Maybe as an additional venue for folks to expound on their thoughts but not clutter up the boards?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: March 01, 2017, 08:47:05 PM »
I imagine he means posts of 1000 words or greater. More like blog posts or columns than forum posts. Maybe as an additional venue for folks to expound on their thoughts but not clutter up the boards?

Yep, there are guys writing thousand word articles on a regular basis but who don't get a ton of traffic on their sites. It would be interesting to have a blogger's corner here so that those guys can continue to produce analytical content and get a lot more page views and comments.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: March 01, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
Yep, there are guys writing thousand word articles on a regular basis but who don't get a ton of traffic on their sites. It would be interesting to have a blogger's corner here so that those guys can continue to produce analytical content and get a lot more page views and comments.

I like that idea.    What would your thoughts be about mods/Chief's ability to monitor content?    How would bloggers feel about having their articles moved or deleted because of content?

(add on)  ....   I'm just asking Chief to make some "rules"/parameters about content.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: March 01, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »
I like that idea.    What would your thoughts be about mods/Chief's ability to monitor content?    How would bloggers feel about having their articles moved or deleted because of content?

(add on)  ....   I'm just asking Chief to make some "rules"/parameters about content.

Since NatoftheLivingDead stopped blogging I doubt if there has been a single article on any of the Nats related blogs that would require censoring. Which is unfortunate.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: March 01, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »
Since NatoftheLivingDead stopped blogging I doubt if there has been a single article on any of the Nats related blogs that would require censoring. Which is unfortunate.

I'm not for "censoring" but I'd like to know I'm reading a baseball blog before I get into it.

PS   I wonder if Chief or one of the mods could break this out into a separate discussion.    I think it has legs of its own.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: March 02, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »
Actually, PB, it might be a really powerful site if we did merge.  Take a look at Sons of Sam Horn's .com website and .net message board.  They complement each other pretty well.  You might draw even more traffic if the combination became more widely cited as a go to for Nats (the ExxonMobil, not the SearsKMart, of fan sites).  Who knows, maybe some folks like Evol and Brian from Nats farm might decide to add in what they have. 

At various times, Squab, Houston, and a few others have kicked around with The Chief the idea of opening a companion blog to WNFF.  It's labor-intensive.  The idea of merging with a well-run blog, with its own staffing of the blog area, might be a quick jump start to this.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Partnering WNFF with a Blog/Website
« Reply #12: March 02, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »
No way man. I don't want to be associated with anyone. We stand on our own.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Partnering WNFF with a Blog/Website (2017)
« Reply #13: March 02, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
If you want to see an old discussion of a WNFF blog, http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30599.0

Offline mitlen

« Reply #14: March 02, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
I assume the "spin off"/blog would be more than 2 sentences.     (Sorry, had to do it.)

I'm not sure how it can be done but I really like the idea of WNFF providing a platform for serious baseball bloggers.    I don't necessarily mean just stat driven entries.   Comedy has its place as well.      A place for original content that can be encouraged and accessed through WNFF.     Expand our brand   ....    I'm not into "censoring" but I hope an editorial board or some such entity can be established to determine what is WNFF baseball worthy.    I mean, we got standards   ....   most of time.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #15: March 02, 2017, 09:59:58 AM »
I'll pass this along to the guy who runs Talk Nats, but my guess is that the response will be a polite version of what Slateman wrote.

Blogs like Nationals Prospects and Nationals Arms Race have fantastic content but not the hit rate of WNFF. Those would be the ones that would make for a great pairing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: March 02, 2017, 10:03:48 AM »
What I'm thinking is one URL, or two - a .com and a .net - lots of linky-linkies to hot topics and new posts, some graphic graphics, and very little redundancy or repetition ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: March 02, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »
I'll pass this along to the guy who runs Talk Nats, but my guess is that the response will be a polite version of what Slateman wrote.

Blogs like Nationals Prospects and Nationals Arms Race have fantastic content but not the hit rate of WNFF. Those would be the ones that would make for a great pairing.

Thanks PB  ...   I agree with what one of our posters mentioned as well   ...   it could be a place where "local talent" such as you, blue, etc. could do essays/blogs/extended comments/POV, etc. on the Nats.