Author Topic: Report: Wieters Nearing Deal with Nats  (Read 16702 times)

Online Mattionals

Re: Report: Wieters Nearing Deal with Nats
« Reply #175: February 24, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
Whereas Norris, Wieters, and Zimmerman all have the same split - weak against RHP, strong against LHP. So again - why does it make sense to keep a third catcher who can only "play" 1B? You're never planning to platoon Norris for Zimmerman, and if Zimmerman gets injured then Lind is already playing the fat half of the platoon at 1B.

Sisters in the past three seasons has actually been better as a lefty. It was way the other way before 2014. Anyway, I think the trade off is having three catchers and no MAT means that you "close your eyes and pray alarm Adam Dunn" with Lind in LF and sub Norris in at 1B when Zim needs a day off against a lefty. I for one think the Nats should hold onto Norris to see if he bounces back some, since they really won't get anything for him.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #176: February 24, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »
Sisters in the past three seasons has actually been better as a lefty. It was way the other way before 2014. Anyway, I think the trade off is having three catchers and no MAT means that you "close your eyes and pray alarm Adam Dunn" with Lind in LF and sub Norris in at 1B when Zim needs a day off against a lefty. I for one think the Nats should hold onto Norris to see if he bounces back some, since they really won't get anything for him.

We still have Heisey

Online Mattionals

« Reply #177: February 24, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
And Wieters has a nasty autocorrect to sisters, so there is that.

Offline whytev

« Reply #178: February 25, 2017, 01:50:08 AM »

Wieters OPSed .733 vs. RHP last year. Not awful for a catcher. .746 the year before.

Norris was a tire fire last year but he's always been better against LHP. .810 two years ago. If he bounces back (which I expect him to), that's a pretty solid platoon. Catchers don't play every day anyway.

Prediction: Rizzo caves and trades Severino for Robertson. Three catchers are carried all spring. Lobatón gets traded for a random AA arm a day or two before the season starts.

Prediction null and void if anyone gets hurt.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #179: February 25, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »
Not sure whether to put any stock into this comment but Loverro said something to the effect that there's a few guys on the team that are scratchin' their heads about this move.     It's an upstairs signing with no team input and no real slot for the guy (at least when he was signed).

Online Mattionals

« Reply #180: February 25, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
Not sure whether to put any stock into this comment but Loverro said something to the effect that there's a few guys on the team that are scratchin' their heads about this move.     It's an upstairs signing with no team input and no real slot for the guy (at least when he was signed).

The players play the game and shouldn't make decisions on personnel. It's Rizzo's job to build the team and convince the owners to let him make certain deals. I don't think at any point Rizzo would have said no to acquiring Wieters and the "ownership deals" haven't seemed to upset Rizzo over the years. I bet its more like Rizzo is always in the room with the owners, and the owners like Boras so Mike tells them how he evaluates said Boras player.

This screams of the "wow" comment or when Harper thought Zim should play If so he could play CF and keep Espinosa in the lineup because "Harper rationale".

Offline rileyn

« Reply #181: February 25, 2017, 12:22:26 PM »
Somebody tell Bryce to shut up and play.  You too, Jayson.  Win a playoff series and then we will start to value your opinion more.  Dude, where's my.......

Offline mitlen

« Reply #182: February 25, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »
Not just the "team".    The "team" to include Dusty and possibly Rizzo, i.e. a bromance signing.

Offline Optics

« Reply #183: February 25, 2017, 12:43:19 PM »
Somebody tell Bryce to shut up and play.  You too, Jayson.  Win a playoff series and then we will start to value your opinion more.  Dude, where's my.......

Agreed. Players play. Coaches coach. Managers manage.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #184: February 25, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »
Not just the "team".    The "team" to include Dusty and possibly Rizzo, i.e. a bromance signing.

I think Loverro is reaching. Same with Soriano. I don't think Rizzo ever settled on getting just Norris and is now overwhelmed with catching because the Lerner's bought Wieters.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #185: February 25, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »
I think Loverro is reaching. Same with Soriano. I don't think Rizzo ever settled on getting just Norris and is now overwhelmed with catching because the Lerner's bought Wieters.

I agree.    Thom was tossin' bullcrap (IMHO) but it was interesting at 0940 after helping coach basketball in a league of 9 year olds.    :)

Online Mattionals

« Reply #186: February 25, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
I agree.    Thom was tossin' bullcrap (IMHO) but it was interesting at 0940 after helping coach basketball in a league of 9 year olds.    :)

Wait, he coaches basketball? Can he actually make it on the court? Can he stand long enough to actually show anyone how to do anything?

At least he isn't holier than thou.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #187: February 25, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
Wait, he coaches basketball? Can he actually make it on the court? Can he stand long enough to actually show anyone how to do anything?

At least he isn't holier than thou.

:spit:   ....   I was coaching.    Finished the game and was sittin' in the truck listenin' to Loverro and Pollin.

BTW   I believe Thom was in FL.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #188: February 25, 2017, 01:49:14 PM »
So who is getting moved off the roster to make room for Weiters? Maybe I missed it already.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #189: February 25, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
So who is getting moved off the roster to make room for Weiters? Maybe I missed it already.

Jose Marmaduke-Diaz moved to the 60-day DL with a forearm strain.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #190: February 25, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
Jose Marmaduke-Diaz moved to the 60-day DL with a forearm strain.

How convenient. :P

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #191: February 25, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »

Thom wanted to trade Turner for a rental closer last year. I don't see why anyone thinks he's anything other than an old windbag

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #192: February 25, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »

I thought Bryce tweeted about getting Wieters early in the offseason, so I'm not buying it.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #193: February 25, 2017, 10:33:45 PM »
I thought Bryce tweeted about getting Wieters early in the offseason, so I'm not buying it.

Love it when I remember stuff:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/01/18/213782582/bryce-harper-hopes-matt-wieters-greg-holland-join-him-in-dc

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #195: February 25, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »
Felt like he was taking a shot a cheap ownership

Elements of both

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #196: February 26, 2017, 01:46:31 AM »
I'm actually not super against carrying three catchers. Norris, when not the worst player in the league is a great hitter against lefties, Wieters is average against righties but bad against lefties. You get some nice extra double switching chances having one on the bench. Norris played first before too, so that could be worked on now and used when Zim needs it. They could probably both do it if we worked on it in spring.

Having Norris/Lind as PH options late in a game would be dooooope.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #197: February 26, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »
I'm actually not super against carrying three catchers. Norris, when not the worst player in the league is a great hitter against lefties, Wieters is average against righties but bad against lefties. You get some nice extra double switching chances

Yes there is added flexibility having a third legitimate (vs. emergency) catcher, and not having Taylor on the roster would be an added bonus.   However, this would leave us with only one legitimate infielder on the bench. Dusty would not be able to pinch hit Drew in late innings or he'd be left with nobody to play second, third,  or short if Murphy, Rendon, or Turner had to leave the game.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #198: February 26, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
Yes there is added flexibility having a third legitimate (vs. emergency) catcher, and not having Taylor on the roster would be an added bonus.   However, this would leave us with only one legitimate infielder on the bench. Dusty would not be able to pinch hit Drew in late innings or he'd be left with nobody to play second, third,  or short if Murphy, Rendon, or Turner had to leave the game.

The bench without a third catcher would be Drew, Heisey, Lind, Taylor, and Lobaton. There is only Lind at 1B and Drew for the rest of the infield. Remove Taylor and add Norris and it's Lind and Norris at 1B with Drew as the other IF bat. I don't see a way that Difo also makes the roster instead of Taylor.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #199: February 26, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
I wouldn't bank on Taylor.  Difo has a chance to make the roster.  Goodwin has a shot as well, because he can spell Werth from the left side.