Author Topic: Report: Wieters Nearing Deal with Nats  (Read 16808 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Report: Wieters Nearing Deal with Nats
« Reply #101: February 21, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »
Gotta be Severino, right?

Severino and MAT would suit me...though I do like Severino...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #102: February 21, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »

Severino probably has options as well. Right?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #103: February 21, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »

A decent prospect and a turd - doubt the White Sox go for it.

Severino probably has options as well. Right?

Yes. He's, unfortunately, one of our only prospects with trade value, so his name is likely to be brought up in deals.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #104: February 21, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
The Sox need to eat some of Robertsons 25 M over the next 2 years or nothing will happen.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #105: February 21, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
The Sox need to eat some of Robertsons 25 M over the next 2 years or nothing will happen.

This. I guess if they eat a lot of it, I'd be okay trading Pedro and an arm.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #106: February 21, 2017, 04:18:14 PM »
The White Sox aren't eating a dime of it; that's what this is all about, dumping salary.  That's why we can get him for near nothing - and by that I mean we don't give up Severino, we give them Norris.   I think it's a deal we need to do.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #107: February 21, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
What about one of the surplus catchers for Betances who is an unhappy camper  now.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #108: February 21, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »
Strengthens the lineup and only cost us Lerners $. Fine by me. They needed somebody a little better than Lobaton and Norris. Gives them a small chip to trade too (preferably Lobaton.) :thumbs:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #109: February 21, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »
The White Sox are more desperate for talent than for money...I think if they can't trade Robertson now for a quality return they are more than happy to wait until the trade deadline and pay him in the meantime.

They've shown a willingness to wait and trade with Sale and Quintana.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #110: February 21, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »
Pretty sure that Wieters is an easy out at this point.

We know these will stay: Drew, Heisey, Lind

In theory, the team could just roll with Lobaton and Norris as bench pieces, sending Severino and Taylor down to Triple A. Turner's ability to play CF gives you some short term flexibility, in that for a few games, you can play Drew at SS and Turner in CF. If it's long term, you put someone on the DL and call up a player from Triple A.

If Norris can find his bat again, he's definitely a guy you want to get some starts to against LHP, as well as make for a nice pinch hitter. Drew and Lind are pretty poor against LHP, so you don't want to leave Heisey and Taylor/Difo as the remaining pinch hitter. Norris provides a good option. Plus, we know at some point, Zimmerman will go on the DL. Be nice to have a platoon of Lind/Norris to start at first base.

I'm in this. That said I would like to use a catcher for a closer. Ah well let the rollercoaster continue

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #111: February 21, 2017, 06:11:12 PM »
If the Nats returned them $20M, wouldn't that help them buy some talent now or in the near future?

The White Sox are more desperate for talent than for money...I think if they can't trade Robertson now for a quality return they are more than happy to wait until the trade deadline and pay him in the meantime.

They've shown a willingness to wait and trade with Sale and Quintana.

Offline whytev

« Reply #112: February 21, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
e
Let me be more direct:  You can't tie up three roster spots on guys who only catch or play first base.

5 you mean.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #113: February 21, 2017, 07:04:21 PM »
What about one of the surplus catchers for Betances who is an unhappy camper  now.

:lmao:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #114: February 21, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »

Severino was likely the key piece for Robertson and that is why it didn't get legs until now.  The Sox were waiting for us to cave...

Offline Optics

« Reply #115: February 21, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
I liked Severino. Would hate to lose him, but we do need a Closer.

Offline whytev

« Reply #116: February 21, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
I liked Severino. Would hate to lose him, but we do need a Closer.

If that's what it takes, fine.  Hope Kieboom and Reetz work out.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #117: February 21, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »
I am happy they got Matt Wieters. I think it helps the team. I am also an O's fan too and I will say, he is a poor pitch framer, it will be interesting how he does with the staff this year. I am sure Dusty will help him.

Now...I just pray when we got Robertson that Rizzo doesn't give up the farm for him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #118: February 22, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
Severino was likely the key piece for Robertson and that is why it didn't get legs until now.  The Sox were waiting for us to cave...
I think Lobaton or Norris has to be involved.  Moving Severino doesn't clear the logjam on the 25 man roster.  I don't see them going with a bench with 2 catchers when they have Lind and Murphy who can play 1st (the only other position for Wieters and Norris).  Also, that would make Heisey the only rostered OF backup.  Yes, Turner could fill in for a game or so, and you have a shorter DL now which makes any expected injury absence of more than 3 games a candidate for the DL (10 days now, right?), but I would think it would limit the roster flexibility.  Maybe you could offer Lobaton AND Severino, or Norris AND Severino, but then that strips roster depth.

As for who gets cut, are there any 60 day DL candidates?

Offline 3bside

« Reply #119: February 22, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
Norris still has options, so if they can't trade him, they could start him in Syracuse (although that would make a very unhappy player).  I'm hoping Goodwin has a good camp and makes the team as a backup outfielder.  It helps that he's a lefty, as has can platoon with Werth.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #120: February 22, 2017, 08:47:34 AM »
I don't understand what's going on exactly.

So the White Sox are reportedly willing to trade Robertson for Severino, and not only that, but eat some of the salary as well? And we are holding this up because we don't want to trade Severino?

The Severino of the career .632 OPS in over 1500 minor league PA? The Severino who OPSd .653 in AAA last year, with an ISO of .066 and just 15 extra base hits in 317 PA? Andrew Stevenson had the same number of extra base hits in 40 fewer PA at AA last season and he might not even hit enough to be a starter despite playing plus-plus CF.

I mean...

Isn't there a 75% chance we're just trading a good defensive backup C?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #121: February 22, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »
Norris still has options, so if they can't trade him, they could start him in Syracuse (although that would make a very unhappy player).  I'm hoping Goodwin has a good camp and makes the team as a backup outfielder.  It helps that he's a lefty, as has can platoon with Werth.

I thought this was probably untrue because Norris could reject an assignment due to service time, but he amazingly doesn't have 5 years year. That would be some cold-blooded stuff, and probably can't happen in the real world. They'd probably trade Lobaton.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #122: February 22, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
Someone must see something in him. :shrug:

I don't understand what's going on exactly.

So the White Sox are reportedly willing to trade Robertson for Severino, and not only that, but eat some of the salary as well? And we are holding this up because we don't want to trade Severino?

The Severino of the career .632 OPS in over 1500 minor league PA? The Severino who OPSd .653 in AAA last year, with an ISO of .066 and just 15 extra base hits in 317 PA? Andrew Stevenson had the same number of extra base hits in 40 fewer PA at AA last season and he might not even hit enough to be a starter despite playing plus-plus CF.

I mean...

(Image removed from quote.)

Isn't there a 75% chance we're just trading a good defensive backup C?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #123: February 22, 2017, 09:34:37 AM »
Someone must see something in him. :shrug:

I know I see something in him...an adequate backup C. :)

He's probably another Jose Lobaton.

I'm just lashing out. I'm pretty sure Rizzo is just staring down the White Sox to make them eat more of Robertson's salary.  But if we AGAIN do not acquire a competent closer, this time because we don't trade a nice backup C, I'm going to explode.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #124: February 22, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »

:lmao: :lmao: