Author Topic: Report: Wieters Nearing Deal with Nats  (Read 16806 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Report: Wieters Nearing Deal with Nats
« Reply #50: February 21, 2017, 12:19:19 PM »
Everyone says the Lerners are cheap. And then when they sign someone they overpaid. It's not my money. Not keeping them from signing anyone else this year. Worry about next year next year.

Amen.  :thumbs:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #51: February 21, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
FanGraphs hates it:

"So, after spending a few months not spending money to upgrade their bullpen or their worst-in-the-league group of reserves, the Nationals found $21 million to give to a catcher who isn’t significantly better than the catcher they already had....

"I’m pretty sure $21M could get you Joe Blanton and Angel Pagan with enough money left over to finance Joe Blanton and Angel Pagan bobblehead dolls for everyone who comes to some random game in July."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/nationals-sign-matt-wieters-for-some-reason/

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #52: February 21, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »
I'm disappointed that no one here has pointed out the most important part of this trade: Matt Wieters looks a lot better than Derek Norris in jeans.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #53: February 21, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »
Depends on if this means Severino can be moved for Robertson.

Now there are some rumors that it may be Norris on the move.  :shock:

If that works, that's some serious GM-jujitsu by Rizzo.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #54: February 21, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
FanGraphs hates it:

"So, after spending a few months not spending money to upgrade their bullpen or their worst-in-the-league group of reserves, the Nationals found $21 million to give to a catcher who isn’t significantly better than the catcher they already had....

"I’m pretty sure $21M could get you Joe Blanton and Angel Pagan with enough money left over to finance Joe Blanton and Angel Pagan bobblehead dolls for everyone who comes to some random game in July."

Odd article. They repeatedly mention the Nats failure to upgrade the bench while making reference to "useful left-handed 1B/LF types" still on the market.

It's almost as if they didn't get the memo about Adam Lind.

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #55: February 21, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »

For Robertson? Done and done. No take backs!

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #56: February 21, 2017, 12:42:37 PM »

If salary was the issue, I'm not sure how signing a guy that is maybe a small upgrade for $7M a year helps, but I don't know crap.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #57: February 21, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
FanGraphs hates it:

Why does this have to be a one or the other type of deal and that any subsequent additions are not possible?

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #58: February 21, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »
Why does this have to be a one or the other type of deal and that any subsequent additions are not possible?

Because ST has already started and we still haven't heard of any moves to be made (or ones that have been made), outside of failed attempts... so... I have no reason to expect anything otherwise.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #59: February 21, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »
Because ST has already started and we still haven't heard of any moves to be made (or ones that have been made), outside of failed attempts... so... I have no reason to expect anything otherwise.

What are you dense? ST has already started and we picked up Wieters.  Murphy was a late addition last year and look how that turned out.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #60: February 21, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »
I'm disappointed that no one here has pointed out the most important part of this trade: Matt Wieters looks a lot better than Derek Norris in jeans.
I did point out earlier in this thread how ugly Norris is.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #61: February 21, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »
If salary was the issue, I'm not sure how signing a guy that is maybe a small upgrade for $7M a year helps, but I don't know crap.
You know as much as any of the rest of us do.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #62: February 21, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
Rizzo will leave to a better ownership situation as soon as he can.

Good for him, I wonder how he'd deal with the d-rays financial constraints

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #63: February 21, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »

Maybe the guy leaking stuff about ownership was looking for excuses after a terrible offseason?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #64: February 21, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
Deal is done.  http://foxsports1340am.com/washington-nationals-sign-matt-wieters-2-year-deal/

Norris is due to make something like $5 million next year.  He's probably pretty worthless as far as trade bait. I don't see the point of carrying three catchers to have Norris pinch hit when we've got Lind.  So my guess is that Loboton is done.

The Nats have to clear a 40 man slot for Weiters as well.

Offline Expos

« Reply #65: February 21, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »

CF- Adam Eaton
SS- Trae Turner
2B- Daniel Murphy
RF- Bryce Harper
3B- Anthony Rendon
C- Matt Weiters
LF- Jayson Werth
1B- Ryan Zimmerman

Bench:
1B- Adam Lind
2B- Stephen Drew
C- Jose Lobaton
OF- Chris Heisey
OF- Michael Taylor

*Daniel Norris / Pedro Severino

Good luck league. If Harper gets back to MVP form
 Wow.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #66: February 21, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
Good for him, I wonder how he'd deal with the d-rays financial constraints

If you had the same salary, I wonder how many GMs would take a more volatile front office situation with a better chance at a World Series title over the opposite? Probably not too many. Your chances are always slim, and who knows - maybe Rizzo would prefer drafting, developing, trading them as they get expensive. Those seem to be his strengths over pandering to the expensive veterans.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #67: February 21, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »
Rizzo will leave to a better ownership situation as soon as he can.

Yeah, this is the final nail in the coffin. Mark bails out Scott again. Bad move that reeks of desperation and "well, let's just do something."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #68: February 21, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »
Unless a catcher is going to Chicago for Robertson, as some baseball sources have suggested.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-white-sox-ready-to-trade-david-robertson-to-nationals/efwt39gndmxl16rnhvf1v2trw

Yeah, this is the final nail in the coffin. Mark bails out Scott again. Bad move that reeks of desperation and "well, let's just do something."

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #69: February 21, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
Yeah, this is the final nail in the coffin. Mark bails out Scott again.

We may want to wait on the Rizzo long game here. There have been a lot of reports about the White Sox waiting on the Robertson talks until the Wieters thing was settled.

$21 million + Norris/Severino for Robertson + Wieters is a big win for me.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #70: February 21, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
We may want to wait on the Rizzo long game here. There have been a lot of reports about the White Sox waiting on the Robertson talks until the Wieters thing was settled.

$21 million + Norris/Severino for Robertson + Wieters is a big win for me.

Just posted this on the closer watch:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-white-sox-ready-to-trade-david-robertson-to-nationals/efwt39gndmxl16rnhvf1v2trw

also:

Jayson StarkVerified account
‏@jaysonst

A team that has been talking with the White Sox says they've been waiting for Nats to sign Wieters to rekindle David Robertson trade talks

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #71: February 21, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
If you had the same salary, I wonder how many GMs would take a more volatile front office situation with a better chance at a World Series title over the opposite? Probably not too many. Your chances are always slim, and who knows - maybe Rizzo would prefer drafting, developing, trading them as they get expensive. Those seem to be his strengths over pandering to the expensive veterans.

Of course, by their nature, stable situations with the ability to win rarely open

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #72: February 21, 2017, 01:19:14 PM »
e
Let me be more direct:  You can't tie up three roster spots on guys who only catch or play first base.
Why not? Lind can pretty much only play first base. Lobaton can only catch. Norris can do either and provides a bench bat against LHP. Who else are you going to keep on the bench? Michael Taylor?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #73: February 21, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
Of course, by their nature, stable situations with the ability to win rarely open

Right, would certainly depend on the situation. Look at Beane, Moore, Huntington for example.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #74: February 21, 2017, 01:21:09 PM »
10 million in 2017, 11 in 2018.