Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)  (Read 26085 times)

Offline dracnal

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)
« Reply #150: April 25, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
I'll hop on houston's bandwagon, me and my sisters will be there in September and one wants to eat somewhere nice and good in Georgetown but not too wild food-wise because none of us are big foodies, any suggestions?

You can pretty much walk down M St. in Georgetown and just let your nose guide you, IMO. Lots of options.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #151: April 25, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
Thanks, gang, knew you guys would have some great advice, now I'm wasting my morning reading menus. Not sure we will have a car - in fact I doubt it (and the guy whose couch we're crashing on is blind).

Jaleo doesn't really scream "affordable" but if you're willing to spend Jaleo type money, I'd go to either Zayatinya or China Chilicano. They are both also Jose Andreas restaurants, both in the same neighborhood as Jaleo (China Chilicano might even be next door to Jaleo) but with much more interesting menus. Nothing wrong with Jaleo but the menu is pretty standard tapas.

Thip Kao near Columbia Heights for Laotian if you're feeling adventurous. Their prices are a bit high compared to Laotian places in the suburbs but the food and service are top notch and you'll find some pretty interesting menu items there-- traditional Laotian, the kinds of things that scare Americans (pig ear soup, blood sausage, tripe) plus plenty of more approachable items.
Thip Kao sounds really interesting - looking it up now! About Zaytinya, I am very interested in going there because I am Turkish, but there's one opening in Dallas in about 3 months. :)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #152: April 25, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
BTW skippy, last time I was in DC my favorite restaurant meal ended up being a casual sandwich chain, Jetties. After a hot and sweaty July walk down 3-4 miles of Rock Creek, a Jetties fresh summer tomato sandwich with some sprouts and mayo hit the spot so much I spent months thinking about it.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #153: April 25, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
BTW skippy, last time I was in DC my favorite restaurant meal ended up being a casual sandwich chain, Jetties. After a hot and sweaty July walk down 3-4 miles of Rock Creek, a Jetties fresh summer tomato sandwich with some sprouts and mayo hit the spot so much I spent months thinking about it.

Good info, thanks!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #154: April 25, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
Mission BBQ at Broad and Glenside is also pretty good, and Alexander's is probably my favorite for VA style bbq.  However, I'm partial to Eastern NC style barbecue (my mom's family is from there and I grew up going to authentic NC pig pickins) and make it myself since there are no great (some good, but not great) options for NC BBQ around.

A new Mission just opened up in Greenbriar shopping center in Chantilly.  I tried the ribs and they were very good - gave me 7 instead of the 6 ordered and they gave me 3 sides free as the cash register person couldn't figure out how to scratch a drink off the combo.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #155: April 25, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
everyone should just come to nashville for real bbq tbh

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #156: April 25, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »

Thanks for the room offer bro!

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #157: April 25, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
This reminds me. We were driving from Cincinnati to Louisville a few weeks ago and stumbled upon an excellent BBQ place. Was at Exit 55 in I 71. So about 55 miles from Louisville. Called Hog Wild Pig Crazy BBQ. Just a little place next to a Loves truck stop. The pulled pork sandwhiches were wonderful as well as the sides we tried. It was so good we stopped again on the way back. Highly recommend if you are ever in that next of the woods.

https://www.hogwildpigcrazybarbq.com

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #158: April 25, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »

Have you been to Bar-B-Cuties yet?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #159: April 25, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »
There are loads of folks here in NC that would disagree with you

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #160: April 25, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »

oh, i don't mean nashville has the best BBQ. It's just really damn good here. NC is legit, too. Memphis is a place I'll check out this summer. but nashville is the best place to visit where you have great BBQ but also enjoy a really cool city

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #161: April 25, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
Ewwww.  Too sour.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #162: April 25, 2017, 01:58:26 PM »
oh, i don't mean nashville has the best BBQ. It's just really damn good here. NC is legit, too. Memphis is a place I'll check out this summer. but nashville is the best place to visit where you have great BBQ but also enjoy a really cool city

Charleston :shrug:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #163: April 25, 2017, 02:14:02 PM »
Charleston :shrug:

Another great destination! But less to do than Nashville. Smaller, more chill vibe - I love it and love the beach, so it's a different kind of experience. You go to Nashville for excitement, great food, great bars, great music, etc. Charleston you go for great food, great vibe, great weather, beach, etc. Both are awesome!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #164: April 25, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »
Thip Kao near Columbia Heights for Laotian if you're feeling adventurous. Their prices are a bit high compared to Laotian places in the suburbs but the food and service are top notch and you'll find some pretty interesting menu items there-- traditional Laotian, the kinds of things that scare Americans (pig ear soup, blood sausage, tripe) plus plenty of more approachable items.
Fermented snake heads!! I have never seen that before :shock:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #165: April 25, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »
Another great destination! But less to do than Nashville. Smaller, more chill vibe - I love it and love the beach, so it's a different kind of experience. You go to Nashville for excitement, great food, great bars, great music, etc. Charleston you go for great food, great vibe, great weather, beach, etc. Both are awesome!

It's hotter than the hubs of hell in Charleston...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #166: April 25, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »
I'll hop on houston's bandwagon, me and my sisters will be there in September and one wants to eat somewhere nice and good in Georgetown but not too wild food-wise because none of us are big foodies, any suggestions?

Out of curiosity, why Georgetown? I can give you a ton of suggestions in other neighborhoods but these days Georgetown is a little down-at-the-heels.

Fermented snake heads!! I have never seen that before :shock:

Believe it or not, they've "Americanized" their menu a fair bit since opening, since there is not a huge Laotian community in the city itself and if they wanted to be able to pay their Columbia Heights level rents, they needed to have some choices for the less adventurous diners living in the neighborhood.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #167: April 25, 2017, 04:35:53 PM »

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #168: April 25, 2017, 04:45:23 PM »
Out of curiosity, why Georgetown? I can give you a ton of suggestions in other neighborhoods but these days Georgetown is a little down-at-the-heels.

My sister, she just has it in her head we have to go to Georgetown but if you've got other recommendations I'd be glad for them, maybe my other sister and I could sway her!

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #169: April 25, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
My sister, she just has it in her head we have to go to Georgetown but if you've got other recommendations I'd be glad for them, maybe my other sister and I could sway her!

Farmers Fishers Bakers is probably the best thing going on in Georgetown these days http://www.farmersfishersbakers.com/
Although Tony and Joe's does a good seafood-heavy brunch on Sundays http://www.tonyandjoes.com/
In general, though, Georgetown is too many people, too little parking and a lot of chain stores. It's just very meh in general.

There is a Matchbox near U Street and another in Chinatown, both of which are more fun neighborhoods than Georgetown. Chinatown is "shinier" than U Street, U Street is funkier/more ecclectic.  http://www.matchboxrestaurants.com/

Ted's Bulletin is great, can't go wrong http://www.tedsbulletin.com/

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #170: April 25, 2017, 05:23:48 PM »
There's a Matchbox in Dallas. Good pizza, good onion rings.

Ted's Bulletin is fun, a little bit silly. Went there last time I visited the Nats. They have a housemade Pop Tarts menu.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #172: April 26, 2017, 09:41:34 AM »

I think this warrants more than just an etcetera...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #173: April 26, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
Tail-up Goat
Okay, capital gang, it's that time of year again, the time for me to ask...where should I eat on my DC weekend visit?? Affordable, interesting preferred. Right now the list includes Rasika West End and maybe Jaleo or maybe not. Plus Nats Park, of course.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #174: April 26, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »
I don't care if it's a chain, their gorgonzola sliders with fried onions are the crap.  And the spicy meatball pizza is garlicky even by my standards.
There's a Matchbox in Dallas. Good pizza, good onion rings.

Ted's Bulletin is fun, a little bit silly. Went there last time I visited the Nats. They have a housemade Pop Tarts menu.