Author Topic: MLB.tv in-market streaming!  (Read 4181 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: MLB.tv in-market streaming!
« Reply #50: January 14, 2019, 02:34:40 PM »
That would be fantastic, but it seems like MASN is controlling local streaming.
Assuming there isn't a specific exception for the Nats and MASN, MLB is the one controlling it.  MASN just hasn't chose to pay the price to lease those rights from mlb to provide in market streaming.

To further the too good to be true scenario....  If MLB gives these rights to all the teams to do what they want, the Nats could choose a very customer friendly accessible option to sell it to Amazon to stream for free or free to Prime members.   A lot of clubs wouldn't go in that direction because they value their relationship with their broadcast partner, and that would definitely hurt them.  But I have to think the Nats wouldn't have that motivation at all, and would be happy sticking it to MASN. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #51: January 14, 2019, 02:40:44 PM »
I don’t think that language applies to streaming. MLB has made a point numerous times to say that the clubs and rsns do not have the rights to stream locally.  For example, mlb stepped in and clarified that in the Fox rsn auction

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/bidding-fox-rsns-muddled-amazon-digital.html

Regardless of whether or not RSNs have the rights, they are the ones choosing not to stream in market- right not it’s purely an RSN decision

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #52: January 14, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
Regardless of whether or not RSNs have the rights, they are the ones choosing not to stream in market- right not it’s purely an RSN decision
Right, as of previous seasons they could have chosen to lease those back from MLB as other teams have done.

But the key change is that MLB is considering either giving these rights to the teams.  Theoretically, it would be the Nats who would choose to sell those to MASN to try to monetize, or to sell the streaming rights to the highest bidder (ie, Amazon).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #53: December 07, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »
If I read this right, MASN would be able to offer its own streaming option.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/mlb-local-digital-streaming-rights.amp

Major League Baseball will allow each of its 30 teams to sell their own streaming deals in local markets ahead of the 2020 season in a move that will eventually open the door for digital platforms such as Amazon to air more games.

Teams will be subject to their existing deals with regional sports networks before they can break out live streaming rights, Sports Business Journal reported on Monday. The league controlled streaming rights for all teams prior to the change, which was first announced at the MLB owners' meeting last month.

“The biggest single change was the return of certain in-market digital rights — the rights that have essentially become substitutional with broadcast rights — those rights will return to the clubs,” MLB Commissioner Robert Manfred said in November, according to Yahoo Sports.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #54: December 07, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/mlb-local-digital-streaming-rights.amp

Major League Baseball will allow each of its 30 teams...."

So the question is - will Angelos "allow" Nats games to be streamed????  I'm guessing no.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #55: December 07, 2019, 11:41:16 AM »
So the question is - will Angelos "allow" Nats games to be streamed????  I'm guessing no.

if it will be profitable for him I don't see why not.  At a minimum it would be nice to be able to watch the games on my phone if I get MASN with my cable subscription.  With FiOS, I can only do that when I'm on the home Wi-Fi network but not outside of the home.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #56: December 07, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
if it will be profitable for him I don't see why not.  At a minimum it would be nice to be able to watch the games on my phone if I get MASN with my cable subscription.  With FiOS, I can only do that when I'm on the home Wi-Fi network but not outside of the home.

Angelos has a severe case of LDS so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him nix it out of spite.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #57: December 07, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
Angelos has a severe case of LDS so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him nix it out of spite.
He's a Mormon?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #58: December 07, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
He's a Mormon?

You turning over a new leaf, highlighting instead of deleting? :mg:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #59: December 07, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »
You turning over a new leaf, highlighting instead of deleting? :mg:
I'm working on witty reparte in case I need it at a cocktail party.  I just started my training, so it is only at the level of an 8 year old.  You stink!