Author Topic: MLB.tv in-market streaming!  (Read 4159 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: MLB.tv in-market streaming!
« Reply #25: December 14, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
I wonder how much sports had to do with the Fox purchase- that aspect really hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks to masn, the nats will probably be the last hold out

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #26: December 14, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »
I wonder how much sports had to do with the Fox purchase- that aspect really hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks to masn, the nats will probably be the last hold out
I have read before that MLB owns all rights to local streaming including in-market local games.  The MLB could theoretically agree to sell those rights to ESPN and there wouldn't be anything MASN could do about it.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #27: November 30, 2018, 08:38:01 AM »
A couple interesting articles in the last couple weeks about in market streaming.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2018/11/14/mlb-local-streaming-talks-heat-up.html
https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/mlbs-in-market-streaming-deals-have-expired-and-the-league-is-once-again-clashing-with-rsns-about-new-deals.html

The current in market agreements with NBC and Fox that allows in market streaming through authenticated apps expired.   One thing I didn't know is that the RSNs have been paying MLB for these rights and MLB now wants more money.   It sounds like MLB is planning a re-work of the whole framework and maybe the possibility of stand alone streaming will be on the table.  Hopefully that includes Nationals games.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #28: November 30, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
BLUF me: Can I stream Nats games in the DC Metro area yet?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: November 30, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »
No

Online Slateman

« Reply #30: November 30, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »
godfreakingdamnit

Literally, the only reason I have cable is for local sports now.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #31: November 30, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »
BLUF me: Can I stream Nats games in the DC Metro area yet?
With a VPN.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: November 30, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »
godfreakingdamnit

Sling gives you fox and csn- you only need cable for masn

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #33: November 30, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
godfreakingdamnit

With the whole league in limbo, there's a least a little hope this year for a league wide solution!

Online Slateman

« Reply #34: November 30, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
With a VPN.

That I know, but VPNs tend to limit bandwidth.

Sling gives you fox and csn- you only need cable for masn
So I need another streaming service ....

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: November 30, 2018, 09:14:29 AM »
There is no streaming service for masn in market

Online Slateman

« Reply #36: November 30, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »
There is no streaming service for masn in market

Ghey. Thanks Obama/Trump/Clinton/Angelos

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #37: November 30, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »

Also, there are illegal streams posted on Reddit. I've heard they work pretty well.

I've also hear the VPN trick works fine too.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #38: November 30, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »

Unlocator is a better option than VPN.  It basically does some DNS magic to trick the service into thinking you are somewhere else.  It doesn't reroute any traffic or anything like that.

MLB.tv single team is about 85/season, and unlocator is $5/month and I cancel after baseball season.

You can set Apple TV's DNS to the Unlocator servers and not mess with any of your in house internet.  Or you can set it at the router and have everything go through Unlocator's DNS.  Roku doesn't have this setting, so you have to set it at the router.  Amazon Fire TV doesn't work with this or any VPN because the Android app does gps locating.

I found Unlocator DNS a little glitchy at times for using for whole house internet.  ie, DNS lookups would fail briefly.   So I set up a second wifi router that I use to connect devices that I watch Nats games on and the main router in unaffected.   Once setup this way, everything is hands off and glitch free.

Online Slateman

« Reply #39: November 30, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »
Also, there are illegal streams posted on Reddit. I've heard they work pretty well.

Yea, I know, I just don't like doing it that way.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #40: November 30, 2018, 09:27:03 AM »
And you could probably ethically justify this by saying "hey, I'm paying MLB."

Is there a guide to setting this at the router online you can point me to?

Unlocator is a better option than VPN.  It basically does some DNS magic to trick the service into thinking you are somewhere else.  It doesn't reroute any traffic or anything like that.

MLB.tv single team is about 85/season, and unlocator is $5/month and I cancel after baseball season.

You can set Apple TV's DNS to the Unlocator servers and not mess with any of your in house internet.  Or you can set it at the router and have everything go through Unlocator's DNS.  Roku doesn't have this setting, so you have to set it at the router.  Amazon Fire TV doesn't work with this or any VPN because the Android app does gps locating.

I found Unlocator DNS a little glitchy at times for using for whole house internet.  ie, DNS lookups would fail briefly.   So I set up a second wifi router that I use to connect devices that I watch Nats games on and the main router in unaffected.   Once setup this way, everything is hands off and glitch free.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #41: November 30, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »
https://unlocator.com/setup/

I can help walk you through any of these setups.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #42: November 30, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
And you could probably ethically justify this by saying "hey, I'm paying MLB."

Is there a guide to setting this at the router online you can point me to?

And not giving any money to MASN/Angelos as a bonus!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #43: November 30, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
I'll take a look. Thanks.

https://unlocator.com/setup/

I can help walk you through any of these setups.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: November 30, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »

I used Reddit the other night for hockey. Seemed to work ok on my PC. Tried casting to the tv but didn’t work. I suppose generally you need to be careful and make sure not to click on ads and such. They have advice there on how to avoid problems.

I might use it this year as an alternative to MLB tv.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #45: November 30, 2018, 10:45:07 AM »

Thanks for posting this.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #46: January 14, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
Lots of movement in this area this off season.

I've read some articles saying mlb will sell in market streaming this year and not renew the agreements with the teams to lease it back that expired at the end of this year.

Now this article says they are considering giving these rights to the teams to sell
https://thestreamable.com/guides/live-tv-streaming/news/mlb-may-give-teams-in-marketing-streaming-rights

Theoretically, this could allow the Nats to directly sell their games to fans and allow fans to watch games without subscribing to MASN.  Probably too good to be true, but the MLB has always held on to the streaming rights, and giving them to the teams would mean the Nats could do this whether MASN liked it or not. 
https://nypost.com/2018/12/17/mlb-eyes-giving-teams-streaming-rights-challenging-pay-tv-model/

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #47: January 14, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
MASN has the rights to stream the games locally, from the original contract:

through cable, satellite, over-the-air television, or such other technology as may then be generally allowed by Major League Baseball; hereinafter "telecast"

However, MASN has not just the right but the obligation to broadcast the games. If every other club allows streaming except the Nats and Os that would seem to be a breach of that obligation. (TCR=MASN)

TCR shall have the sole and exclusive right and the obligation to telecast, using commercially reasonable efforts, all Available Games of the Orioles and the Nationals and all ancillary programming related to the Orioles and the Nationals throughout the Television Territory through the medium of the RSN as described in this Agreement.

While looking that up I found this item that not only do the Nats choose their broadcast team, they pay them. So while Bob and FP are officially employed by MASN they are truly working for the Nats.

The Orioles and the Nationals each shall have the right to approve the RSN's selection of the game announcers for their respective telecasts. Such approval may not unreasonably be withheld. Notwithstanding the preceding two sentences, the Nationals and the Orioles shall have the right to employ their game announcers at their expense

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #48: January 14, 2019, 01:28:18 PM »
MASN has the rights to stream the games locally, from the original contract:

However, MASN has not just the right but the obligation to broadcast the games. If every other club allows streaming except the Nats and Os that would seem to be a breach of that obligation. (TCR=MASN)

While looking that up I found this item that not only do the Nats choose their broadcast team, they pay them. So while Bob and FP are officially employed by MASN they are truly working for the Nats.

I don’t think that language applies to streaming. MLB has made a point numerous times to say that the clubs and rsns do not have the rights to stream locally.  For example, mlb stepped in and clarified that in the Fox rsn auction

Beyond that, this auction apparently didn’t start well overall, with some bidders believing the purchase of these networks would include teams’ digital rights beyond in-market streaming deals (they do not; MLB holds digital rights and uses them for out-of-market services like MLB.tv, plus sublets them to RSNs for in-market streaming with cable authentication in cases where those deals apply).

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/bidding-fox-rsns-muddled-amazon-digital.html

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #49: January 14, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »
I don’t think that language applies to streaming. MLB has made a point numerous times to say that the clubs and rsns do not have the rights to stream locally.  For example, mlb stepped in and clarified that in the Fox rsn auction

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/bidding-fox-rsns-muddled-amazon-digital.html

That would be fantastic, but it seems like MASN is controlling local streaming.