Author Topic: MLB.tv in-market streaming!  (Read 4182 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

MLB.tv in-market streaming!
« Topic Start: February 03, 2017, 08:09:10 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but apparently MLB is moving towards allowing live streaming for in-market games. Currently those games are blacked out for subscribers. This could be huge as I know many people, myself included, continue to subscribe to cable primarily for live baseball. Oh, but wait...Angelos is trying to screw things up :evil:   From MLB.com:

• The Commissioner also announced that MLB has reached agreements with 27 of the 30 regional sports networks to allow live in-market streaming of games. Negotiations with the Dodgers, Orioles and Nationals continue.

Hoping this comes through :pray:

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: MLB.tv in-market streaming!
« Reply #1: February 03, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but apparently MLB is moving towards allowing live streaming for in-market games. Currently those games are blacked out for subscribers. This could be huge as I know many people, myself included, continue to subscribe to cable primarily for live baseball. Oh, but wait...Angelos is trying to screw things up :evil:   From MLB.com:

Hoping this comes through :pray:
I think this refers to streaming from the local cable outlets.  For instance comcast chicago will stream games they already air in chicago.  Rather than them lifting the MLB tv local blackout.  So you would still need your local cable subscription.  As noted, MASN is an outlier.  MASN will likely instead have Phil Wood read the balls and strikes while reminiscing about old DC baseball.  And of course frequent references to the Blos.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2: February 03, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »
I think this refers to streaming from the local cable outlets.  For instance comcast chicago will stream games they already air in chicago.  Rather than them lifting the MLB tv local blackout.  So you would still need your local cable subscription.  As noted, MASN is an outlier.  MASN will likely instead have Phil Wood read the balls and strikes while reminiscing about old DC baseball.  And of course frequent references to the Blos.
:funny:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #3: February 03, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »

Hmm. I was thinking about MLB requiring people to pay for their streaming, like they do now for out-of-market games., but maybe you're right. crap, knowing MASN, they'll never stream anything. They can't even get video clips for Phil Wood's show. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #4: February 03, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
Shrug. I'd pay MASN $20 a month for six months if I could get out of cable. Even $30.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: February 03, 2017, 08:23:08 PM »
Shrug. I'd pay MASN $20 a month for six months if I could get out of cable. Even $30.
I would pay $50 a month to see the Nats Talk show over and over again.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: February 03, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »
Hmm. I was thinking about MLB requiring people to pay for their streaming, like they do now for out-of-market games., but maybe you're right. crap, knowing MASN, they'll never stream anything. They can't even get video clips for Phil Wood's show. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
MASN is a mess.  Have a friend who lives in Santa Barbara and he does not get Dodgers games because of the TV deal they have out there.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #7: February 03, 2017, 09:55:26 PM »
I would pay $50 a month to see the Nats Talk show over and over again.

Online Five Banners

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: February 05, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »

:lmao:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: February 05, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »
Thank you. Thank you.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #11: February 09, 2017, 04:52:34 AM »
MASN is a mess.  Have a friend who lives in Santa Barbara and he does not get Dodgers games because of the TV deal they have out there.

There's ways around this.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: February 09, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
There's ways around this.
I'm sure there are but it's stupid.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #13: February 09, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »
In Australlia there is no "in market" i get everything.. but i also can't just roll dpown to the park and watch

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #14: February 10, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
In Australlia there is no "in market" i get everything.. but i also can't just roll dpown to the park and watch
Local mlb.tv blackouts have nothing to do with getting people to the park.  They have everything to do with protecting the local TV contracts and ensuring that you are spending $100 a month on cable and equipment to the local cable company to get your local games.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #15: February 10, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »
Yea but you also get giant poisonous spiders, lethal snakes, and great white sharks!

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #16: February 12, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »
Yea but you also get giant poisonous spiders, lethal snakes, and great white sharks!

I went shark cage diving in South Australia recently, one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. to be underwater and about 5 yards from a great white is pretty hard to describe.

Snakes and spiders are manageble

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #17: February 12, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
I went shark cage diving in South Australia recently, one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. to be underwater and about 5 yards from a great white is pretty hard to describe.

Nope

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: February 12, 2017, 07:01:14 PM »

OMG. The only place I want to see a shark is on TV.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #19: February 12, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »

Where's Bernadina these days?

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #20: February 12, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »

My now ex-partner has the photos, I should have some though.. I shall work out how and post them. Sop much fun and it's pretty safe.. had one hit the cage still no real concern

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #21: February 12, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
It's all fun and games until someone gets eaten.

My now ex-partner has the photos, I should have some though.. I shall work out how and post them. Sop much fun and it's pretty safe.. had one hit the cage still no real concern

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #24: December 14, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
So ESPN just bought local TV rights to half of the MLB franchises with their Fox purchase.  They also just purchased MLBAM, so they own out of market MLB streaming.  MLB has kept local streaming rights to themselves so far.  To purchase all those RSNs when they know all too well that they are a dying business model, ESPN must have a master plan that completely changes how we watch our local games.

I have a feeling that ESPN's counter move to losing their revenue stream of being force bundled to everything is to be the one and only place to go to watch sports including local sports.  Could their long game be to buy national in market streaming rights to all teams and sell directly to the customer vs going through cable and bundle everything through ESPN?