Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2017)  (Read 58368 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: MLB & Division Watching (2017)
« Reply #175: May 04, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »

You are also a Red Sox fan - likely with lots of Facebook friends who are also Red Sox fans.

Wrong, lived all over the place with the military so the majority of my facebook friends couldn't care less about the Sox, or about baseball actually, and yet they all know and want to see Fenway.     

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #176: May 04, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »

From a facilities point of view, it's a dump.  Trough toilets, no concourse, seats facing the wrong direction, obstructed views in high-priced seating areas, etc.  Dump.

from a facilities point of view, most historic places are dumps. From a baseball point of view, fenway looks great on TV, is popular with red sox fans and is always near the top of the league in ticket sales

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #177: May 04, 2017, 10:06:52 AM »
from a facilities point of view, most historic places are dumps. From a baseball point of view, fenway looks great on TV, is popular with red sox fans and is always near the top of the league in ticket sales

Actually no.  Not most.  We've got tons of buildings on the historic register and they aren't dumps.  They also aren't exempt from renovations that make actual improvements.  Fenway is a result of baseball's rigid thinking and senseless ties to bygone eras that aren't coming back.

Wrong, lived all over the place with the military so the majority of my facebook friends couldn't care less about the Sox, or about baseball actually, and yet they all know and want to see Fenway.     

I assumed incorrectly, then.  You do seem to have a tie to the Red Sox that you don't extend to other teams other than the Nats.  So that's a fascinating take.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #178: May 04, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »
Actually no.  Not most.  We've got tons of buildings on the historic register and they aren't dumps.  They also aren't exempt from renovations that make actual improvements.  Fenway is a result of baseball's rigid thinking and senseless ties to bygone eras that aren't coming back.

Fenway is a result of embracing history instead of tearing down something historical to build a multipurpose stadium, then tearing that down to build a single sport stadium that tries to pretend it's rooted in history all the while not costing the city hundreds of millions. If the tore down fenway, there would probably be a bland cookie cutter park surrounded by acres of parking lots in Braintree right now 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #179: May 04, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
Fenway is a result of embracing history instead of tearing down something historical to build a multipurpose stadium, then tearing that down to build a single sport stadium that tries to pretend it's rooted in history all the while not costing the city hundreds of millions. If the tore down fenway, there would probably be a bland cookie cutter park surrounded by acres of parking lots in Braintree right now 

Not if you built that new stadium on the same spot as the current Fenway.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #180: May 04, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »

I doubt the foot print there would get you a similar seating capacity

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #181: May 04, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
they looked into that when they were talking about a new Fenway back around the turn of the 00s.  The currrent footprint is 9 acres.  They had assembled and adjacent site with 15 acres, and were going to keep the current LF wall as part of the entrance promenade.  What sunk the deal was that the state stuck a lot of conditions on the bonds they were going to float to build some garages, infrastructure, and eminent domain, and no bank would finance the park with those conditions. Then Henry / Lucchino / Werner / Otten bought the team, brought Janet Marie Smith, and she said they could do a retrofit and upgrade to make it modern enough to last 50 more years. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #182: May 04, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »
I doubt the foot print there would get you a similar seating capacity

But we've gone over (ad nauseum) how attendance at parks are down anyway.  With so many options, the best thing for all clubs would be to reduce the seating capacity anyway.

they looked into that when they were talking about a new Fenway back around the turn of the 00s.  The currrent footprint is 9 acres.  They had assembled and adjacent site with 15 acres, and were going to keep the current LF wall as part of the entrance promenade.  What sunk the deal was that the state stuck a lot of conditions on the bonds they were going to float to build some garages, infrastructure, and eminent domain, and no bank would finance the park with those conditions. Then Henry / Lucchino / Werner / Otten bought the team, brought Janet Marie Smith, and she said they could do a retrofit and upgrade to make it modern enough to last 50 more years. 

Oh, I remember.  I still think it's short-sighted.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #183: May 04, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
The Sox seem to be fine with current capacity- mostly full in the regular season, easy sell out in the post season. If you gear capacity in ensure that you get regular season sell outs, most stadiums will look like the belong at high schools

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184: May 04, 2017, 12:09:56 PM »
Oh, I remember.  I still think it's short-sighted.

Maybe some of the Premier League fans will know, but did Henry do something similar with Anfield?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #185: May 04, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »

I assumed incorrectly, then.  You do seem to have a tie to the Red Sox that you don't extend to other teams other than the Nats.  So that's a fascinating take.

Born and raised in CT to a Red Sox loving dad (although all my friends were Yankees fans)

Offline dracnal

« Reply #186: May 04, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
The Sox ownership did something new last night -  a fan heard someone using racial slurs and reported it, security moved within general earshot and when it was repeated, they kick them out and issued a lifetime ban.

*edit: Modified this because it has happened once, so I can't say it's a new policy. Maybe it is, maybe it ain't.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #187: May 04, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »
The Sox ownership did something new last night -  a fan heard someone using racial slurs and reported it, security moved within general earshot and when it was repeated, they kick them out and issued a lifetime ban.

*edit: Modified this because it has happened once, so I can't say it's a new policy. Maybe it is, maybe it ain't.

Good, I wonder if just people who love to use the f bomb every other word could be kicked out too?  I cringe when I see kids subjected to that language for an extended period of time.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #188: May 04, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Good, I wonder if just people who love to use the f bomb every other word could be kicked out too?  I cringe when I see kids subjected to that language for an extended period of time.

Pretty sure they kick out fans that get reported and won't stop after being told to do so. I know they will kick them out at Nats Park. Don't know they'd get much support for lifetime bans for it, but I agree about cringing when kids are around.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #189: May 04, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »

My bad, Skippy.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #190: May 04, 2017, 04:50:28 PM »
My bad, Skippy.

(Image removed from quote.)

lol I'm guessing if you saw kids around you'd show a bit of restraint, no?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #191: May 04, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
Pretty sure they kick out fans that get reported and won't stop after being told to do so. I know they will kick them out at Nats Park. Don't know they'd get much support for lifetime bans for it, but I agree about cringing when kids are around.
No I wouldn't want a lifetime ban for that, just a wake up call that hey, swearing is NOT everyday language for a lot of people. 
Also, people are totally diluting the power of the f-bomb :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192: May 04, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »

I think this is the new policy. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #193: May 05, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
I think this is the new policy.

Yeah, I think it is as well, but there are too many people who live to point out issues with things people have said rather than comment on the substance of the issue, so I figure it's better to just clarify it's opinion rather than a known fact.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #195: May 05, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »
the article says police suspect it was fired a mile away into the air. 

It found her.    We were told there's nothing you can do about the bullets with your name on it.     The ones with "To whom it may conern" are being unlucky/wrong place/wrong time.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #196: May 05, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
It found her. We were told there's nothing you can do about the bullets with your name on it. The ones with "To whom it may conern" are being unlucky/wrong place/wrong time.
Sure, just like sitting in the same spot on the couch affects the teams play.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #197: May 05, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »
Sure, just like sitting in the same spot on the couch affects the teams play.

What's your point?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #198: May 05, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »
The bullet didn't have her all the way.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #199: May 05, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »
The Diamondbacks' Taijuan Walker bobblehead for Game of Thrones Night is freakin badassed.

we get a stupid t-shirt for our Game of Thrones night, booo.