Author Topic: Lerners are Cheap - 2017  (Read 27024 times)

Offline rbw5t

Re: Lerners are Cheap - 2017
« Reply #375: August 11, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »
Bob Carpenter‏ @scorebook_bob  27m27 minutes ago
To make things perfectly clear:  no one from the MASN Nationals TV crew left Nationals Park during tonight's rain delay.

Yeah, they left after the delay, when the game had been postponed, over an hour before the team told the fans.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #376: August 11, 2017, 10:57:56 PM »
Zukerman has the story.
http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2017/08/series-opener-postponed-split-doubleheader-on-sunday.html

The rain arrived shortly after 7 p.m., with heavy rain and lightning descending on the area around 7:45 p.m. Given the slow movement of the storm approaching from the west, the odds of conditions improving enough to play in a timely manner were minimal, though the rain briefly diminished to a drizzle after 9 p.m. before picking up again.
By then, the decision to postpone apparently had already been made, with players from both teams seen leaving their clubhouses in street clothes, grounds crew members seen removing equipment from the field and reporters who cover the Giants summoned to interview manager Bruce Bochy. An official announcement didn’t come from the Nationals (via their Twitter account) until 9:47 p.m. The message was not conveyed on the scoreboard until 9:52 p.m., at which point the few fans who still remained booed.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #377: August 12, 2017, 12:18:33 AM »
Zukerman has the story.
http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2017/08/series-opener-postponed-split-doubleheader-on-sunday.html

The rain arrived shortly after 7 p.m., with heavy rain and lightning descending on the area around 7:45 p.m. Given the slow movement of the storm approaching from the west, the odds of conditions improving enough to play in a timely manner were minimal, though the rain briefly diminished to a drizzle after 9 p.m. before picking up again.
By then, the decision to postpone apparently had already been made, with players from both teams seen leaving their clubhouses in street clothes, grounds crew members seen removing equipment from the field and reporters who cover the Giants summoned to interview manager Bruce Bochy. An official announcement didn’t come from the Nationals (via their Twitter account) until 9:47 p.m. The message was not conveyed on the scoreboard until 9:52 p.m., at which point the few fans who still remained booed.

Disgraceful :smh:

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #378: August 12, 2017, 03:51:57 AM »
Reading the reports on Twitter it is possible that both the Giants reporter and the MASN staff are correct in their statements. The report from @PavlovicNBCS was that the "Nationals TV announcers" had left. In addition to the Giants TV and MASN the Nats employ an in house TV crew. Since the Nats players, grounds crew, and concessions managers knew of the cancelation it is likely that their TV production staff knew as well. Strange that the Nats seem to have been informed by MLB of the decision prior to the Giants and stranger that they reportedly didn't immediately pass that info along.

I'm seeing some of the same Nats fans who get invited to the team's exclusive pre-season events defending the hour delay in announcing the postponement. Great to see that move paying off for the chief of revenue.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #379: August 12, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »
I can't believe people think this happened so they could sell a few more beers.  It happened because, aside from baseball matters, this is a dysfunctional organization.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #380: August 12, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »
I can't believe people think this happened so they could sell a few more beers.  It happened because, aside from baseball matters, this is a dysfunctional organization.

And people wonder why Washington fans aren't gung-ho. They get treated like pawns.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #381: August 12, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »

This. I bet the guy in charge of operations will be looking for a new job after this season. But I do find the conspiracy theories entertaining.

Offline Briggs

« Reply #382: August 12, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
This is a Natinal move!

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #383: August 12, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »
It really is mind-boggling how badly we handle rain delays.  I got into a conversation with a Braves fan on Twitter during the non-rain delay a month ago or so after he had accused the Nats of gamesmanship.  After I assured him it wasn't gamesmanship, but rather blatant incompetence, he questioned how a professional organization could be so inept.  I had no answer for him.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #384: August 12, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
This. I bet the guy in charge of operations will be looking for a new job after this season. But I do find the conspiracy theories entertaining.
they may be dysfunctional. But they also sold more beers and food. Just coincidence I suppose. They should give everyone who went to the game $20 worth of free food and drink.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #385: August 12, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
Reading the reports on Twitter it is possible that both the Giants reporter and the MASN staff are correct in their statements. The report from @PavlovicNBCS was that the "Nationals TV announcers" had left. In addition to the Giants TV and MASN the Nats employ an in house TV crew. Since the Nats players, grounds crew, and concessions managers knew of the cancelation it is likely that their TV production staff knew as well. Strange that the Nats seem to have been informed by MLB of the decision prior to the Giants and stranger that they reportedly didn't immediately pass that info along.

I'm seeing some of the same Nats fans who get invited to the team's exclusive pre-season events defending the hour delay in announcing the postponement. Great to see that move paying off for the chief of revenue.
But Carp said he didn't leave. A liar in addition to a Cards fan.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #386: August 12, 2017, 10:24:50 AM »
Strange that the Nats seem to have been informed by MLB of the decision prior to the Giants and stranger that they reportedly didn't immediately pass that info along.
Isn't it the Nats' decision, not MLB's?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #387: August 12, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
There was a game we went a few years ago where they were calling for storms and wind and flooding. The local tv was telling people to stay home  I had driven to work and had a friend driving down from PA meeting me. He kept checking with me and told him no cancellation so we went. Wife thought I was crazy. Weather broke briefly before the game and finally they called it right around starting time. But not before we had some beers and food. This stuff is not coincidence. Rich guys always want to make more money.

When I was at Wrigley last week talked to an usher and mentioned no charging station there. He said they had one last year sponsored by Amtrak but Amtrak pulled out so they closed it down. He basically said the owners don't do anything in the park that doesn't generat revenue. I think most of us would leave a charging station there and eat the cost for a year or two. But not rich guys and not when the consumers keep consuming.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #388: August 12, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
Isn't it the Nats' decision, not MLB's?

Apparently MLB had the call last night since this is the Giants only visit to DC this year.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #389: August 12, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
Apparently MLB had the call last night since this is the Giants only visit to DC this year.
Ah.  I'm going to have to find a list of rules on this.  It seems stupidly convoluted, especially when teams like the Nationals continue to prove that MLB should always make the decision.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #390: August 12, 2017, 10:34:37 AM »
And they conveniently forgot to pass on the decision?  I am sure they sat down with MLB throughout. Easy decision. Radar looked bad all through the night and conditions look good Sunday. They could also play a regular doubleheader and start it at like 12 or 12:30 but of course they might lose a little revenue that way.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #391: August 12, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
Ah.  I'm going to have to find a list of rules on this.  It seems stupidly convoluted, especially when teams like the Nationals continue to prove that MLB should always make the decision.
Ok. But who is MLB. The MLB reps at the game are the umpires. MLB can look at radar and such in NY but they are not there. I am sure even when MLB supposedly makes the decision the teams have major input.  Like, let's wait a little longer and maybe it will break.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #392: August 12, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
But Carp said he didn't leave. A liar in addition to a Cards fan.

I believe the MASN crew that they didn't know. I think that it was the Nats in house TV staff that left.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #393: August 12, 2017, 10:42:37 AM »
And they conveniently forgot to pass on the decision?  I am sure they sat down with MLB throughout. Easy decision. Radar looked bad all through the night and conditions look good Sunday. They could also play a regular doubleheader and start it at like 12 or 12:30 but of course they might lose a little revenue that way.
From what I'm reading, the only way jurisdiction of this decision gets passed on to MLB is if the lineup cards had already been turned in.  Since that usually happens about 5 minutes before the start of the game, I'm thinking this was the Nats' decision but it's certainly possible I'm wrong about this.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #394: August 12, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »

I think they probably do it for revenue, but if I think about it how would a regular doubleheader work? I gave my tickets to last nights game to a friend. I still have tickets to the Sunday afternoon game. So if they had a traditional doubleheader, who would sit in my seats?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #395: August 12, 2017, 10:44:52 AM »
Charlie Slowes is currently tweeting that it's not unusual for the players to be informed first and that the Giants told their broadcasters before any official announcement of the delay

https://mobile.twitter.com/charlieslowes/status/896377653082681345 (and some subtweets)

"There is a process to making the announcement by MLB. Players are first to know when game is ppd. Giants had reporters to clubhouse next"

"That's even before Sunday's game times were set. Both teams then left. This is not that unusual.  Announcement could have come sooner."

"Giants broadcasters were notified by their club before announcement."

I keep refreshing to see if he'll tweet more.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #396: August 12, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
From what I'm reading, the only way jurisdiction of this decision gets passed on to MLB is if the lineup cards had already been turned in.  Since that usually happens about 5 minutes before the start of the game, I'm thinking this was the Nats' decision but it's certainly possible I'm wrong about this.

If one team is in contention and it's the visiting team's final visit for the season, then it is MLB's decision.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #397: August 12, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
If one team is in contention and it's the visiting team's final visit for the season, then it is MLB's decision.
Gotcha.  Do you know of any place that has all these procedures in one spot?  I'd be curious to know more about it.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #398: August 12, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »
I think they probably do it for revenue, but if I think about it how would a regular doubleheader work? I gave my tickets to last nights game to a friend. I still have tickets to the Sunday afternoon game. So if they had a traditional doubleheader, who would sit in my seats?
I don;t remember since it has been so long since they have played a regular doubleheader.  Somehow they were able to figure it out in the old days.  I think the ticket holders for the regular game had precedence. And then those with rain checks could get a ticket for that game or any other.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #399: August 12, 2017, 10:50:52 AM »

If they have a traditional DH then the tickets to the rained out game would be a rain check that you would need to redeem for any game. The would then be redeemed for what's available and would not effect tickets already sold.