Author Topic: Deaths of Famous People (2017)  (Read 38756 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Deaths of Famous People (2017)
« Reply #500: November 22, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »

:shock: Did you know Cassidy in kindergarten or did you babysit him?
Skippy is confused. She actually had a crush on Danny Bonaduce.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #501: November 25, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
Bethesda guitarist Tommy Keene, 59.

By Harrison Smith November 24 at 6:06 PM

Tommy Keene, a power-pop guitarist and singer whose wistful, warmly melodic rock songs placed him at the fore of the District’s local music scene in the 1980s, when he seemed poised to reach a national audience that eluded him throughout his four-decade career, died Nov. 22 at home in Los Angeles. He was 59.

His partner, Michael Lundsgaard, said Mr. Keene died in his sleep. The cause is not yet known.

A native of Bethesda, Md., Mr. Keene developed a jangling, arpeggiated guitar style while playing with local bands the Rage and the Razz, honing a sound that melded the gentle melodies of early Beatles records with the hard-driving guitar rock of the Who.

Describing himself as a “cynical romantic,” he recorded a dozen solo albums that were generally well received by critics but reached only a small, deeply devoted group of listeners, leading the Phoenix New Times to christen him “the patron saint of neglected and overlooked power-pop stars.”

“He finds himself between rock and the hard place,” Washington Post music critic Richard Harrington wrote in 1984. “His music is almost too commercial for those who support alternative music styles, and not calculated enough for those who control the nation’s airwaves.”

etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/tommy-keene-power-pop-songwriter-and-star-of-80s-dc-music-scene-dies-at-59/2017/11/24/ed373d1c-d12b-11e7-9d3a-bcbe2af58c3a_story.html?utm_term=.095cb4f4d167

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #503: November 30, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
Gomer Pyle   (Jim Nabors)

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/30/567509586/jim-nabors-who-played-affable-klutz-gomer-pyle-dies-at-87
Saw him driving around a few times in his Rolls Royce in Honolulu in the 80s. Smiling and waving at everyone. Seems like a nice guy.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #504: December 04, 2017, 04:39:32 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/john-b-anderson-fiery-third-party-candidate-in-1980-presidential-race-dies-at-95/2017/12/04/dd25dfda-d92a-11e7-b1a8-62589434a581_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-moretopstories2_ob-anderson-305pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.18d9fad1010b

Flashback to another time in my life.  I was one of a group at college who coordinated his campaign there.  My function was arranging for groups of canvassers to go up to New Hampshire to knock on doors for his campaign.  We'd go up on Friday night, help put together material for the next day's canvas, then meet buses coming up from Boston and elsewhere to lead canvases of various neighborhoods.  We came with a hundred votes or so of finishing 3d behind Reagan and Bush (we were beat by Howard Baker).  Big buzz was the weekend before the primary when Reagan had his "I'm paying for this microphone, Mr. Green" moment when the various candidates ambush Poppy Bush at what was supposed to be his 1 on 1 debate vs. Reagan.  I forget how many crashes we had that weekend driving up in a snow storm (nothing serious).  That Sunday was the US - Finland hockey game for the gold after the Miracle on Ice, and I remember leafleting in a Salem parking lot asking folks for the score as they walked out of a TV retailer.

In any event, the next Tuesday was the Massachusetts and Vermont primaries.  We thought those were our best states.  Anderson was scheduled to speak at Yale the day after those primaries, and we kept getting calls to keep on scheduling a bigger event.  Well, Anderson led in both primaries most of the night so got tremendous coverage (I remember drinking at Rudy's watching returns).  Turns out he lost both narrowly, but the buzz was huge.  Tons of media, overflow crowd at Battelle Chapel.  I ended up having to give up my seat to go out and arrange phones in the dorm next door so that all the media could call in stories on his reception and also set up a speaker so he could talk impromptu for the overflow.  A bunch of us then filmed a commercial for him that was supposed to show in his home state, Illinois. I doubt they used footage of me because my photogray lens darkened up and made me look like a drug dealer with my Afro (picture that, if you've seen me). 

More stories follow - giving Poppy Bush a great moment when I was confrontational in a question at a rally before the CT primary, writing position papers and leaflets for eastern Connecticut, another on TV moment timely shouting "On Wisconsin" (our last hope as an R) after the CT primary, signature drives to get him on the ballot, spending most of my summer split in Boston between working for him and working for a Congressional candidate in a D primary that Barney Frank eventually won, then stupidly not deciding to take the Fall of 1980 off to run the Massachusetts office (I was asked too late).  Back on campus, gradually watching his support erode, getting outsmarted by Carter's campaign (which handed out rosters at a football game with literature on the back), representing Anderson at a debate against a guy who later became acting AG and another guy who was Mario Cuomo's chief of staff, and finally nearly nailing the 1980 results the Sunday night before the election.  I had skills back then.

I still have a John Anderson poster from that campaign as well as a hat, several pins, and a mug from his kick off event. 

Sorry to see him go.  Stood up to the NRA at a debate they sponsored, opposed the MX missile, supported a gas tax in exchange for a social security tax reduction, co-sponsored with Mo Udall the legislation that set aside ANWR.  A really good guy and the end of the Ripon Republicans.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #505: December 04, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »

Thought about ya when I heard the news.     Nice historical write-up.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #506: December 04, 2017, 06:52:53 PM »
Thought about ya when I heard the news.     Nice historical write-up.

Hey stranger!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #507: December 04, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
Hey stranger!

I've been lookin' for my keys.        :old:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #508: December 05, 2017, 02:11:35 AM »
I sold drugs a couple years earlier.  I can easily picture you as a drug dealer.

. I doubt they used footage of me because my photogray lens darkened up and made me look like a drug dealer with my Afro (picture that, if you've seen me).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #509: December 05, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »
I got to know the Congressional District around New Haven pretty well.  4 years later, I took a week or so from work to campaign for Gary Hart.  Several of the folks from the Carter campaign were working for Hart, and I swapped stories with the coordinator who put together the roster / leaflet handout.  Smart.  I ran a lit drop the weekend before the primary (students from NY and NJ bused up for that), citing in about 100 locations around the CD, while still assuring we had full phone banks.  We won that primary despite having the whole state apparatus lined up behind Mondale.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #510: December 12, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »
San Francisco mayor and civil rights activist Ed Lee died unexpectedly overnight. He was 65. Cause of death has not been released.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #511: December 18, 2017, 08:52:05 PM »
20 years ago today: Chris Farley. RIP.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #513: December 22, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »
Dick Enberg.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21842570/dick-enberg-beloved-broadcaster-dies-age-82

I was at the Kapalua golf course grill back in 1980-ish, and he was the only other customer there at the time.  Didn't know he was this old...but then again, I was only 28-ish myself.  Seemed like a nice guy...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #514: December 22, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »
Dick Enberg.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21842570/dick-enberg-beloved-broadcaster-dies-age-82

I thought he's on the short list of the best national guys ever.  To some extent, I think he was overlooked in LA because he was up against the institution of Vin Scully.  I thought he was very good at college BB, and that was his 3d or 4th sport. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #515: December 22, 2017, 09:54:11 AM »
Dick Enberg.

"Oh my."

He and Jim Simpson were two of my favorites on NBC.    Of course, there was always "The Masters" on CBS.