Author Topic: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning  (Read 91081 times)

Offline Rasta

Re: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning
« Reply #150: December 07, 2016, 06:03:12 PM »
Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP  16s16 seconds ago
Nats have handled C and CF cheap. That's good if they use the powder kept dry on closer. Given ownership's history, hard to expect.

Let's all realize that there are budget constraints on this team. It's clear that Rizzo was not going to have the funds to go after the big time free agents closers. Dusty said as much today in his presser.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #151: December 07, 2016, 06:03:15 PM »
What an overpay for a guy who's never even OPS'd over .800.

Very nice player. Solid bat, solid defense, instant upgrade in center field, but what an overpay. Two Top 100 prospects? Plus Dunning? Even if the White Sox toss in major salary considerations, I just don't like it. The Nationals have spent years doing well balancing the future and present but this trade tosses that out of the door. Giolito and Lopez are going to be absolutely dealing by 2018 and we're going to have a guy in his early 30's who is pretty good, not great. If Nats don't win big in the coming season or two then this trade is a complete failure.

I like Dunning a lot, but an overpay is an overpay even if the asset is really  I guess my opinion on Giolito and Lopez is probably higher than most.
Then why didn't gio take advatage of the opportunity given to him this upcoming season?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #152: December 07, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »
Just adding my two cents.

Don't like it.

Eaton is solid and has a great contract. Totally understand what he brings, and it is a positive.

But for 3 arms? One an elite prospect, one that is a top 50 guy that shown flashes of brilliance and has a fall back as a closer, and a 1dt round draft pick 6 months ago? Just way too much imo.

People have given up on Giolito way too fast. The organization started messing with his mechanics and his velocity and command suffered. That's common when you tinker with something. Especially with a kid. And then expect him to adjust at the big league level while bouncing back and forth. He's still very highly regarded and imo will be an very, very good starter in the league. Ace potential, but even if he doesn't reach it, he's still got the ability to be above average. Lopez is a late bloomer with two knockout pitches. If the chance get doesn't come along, he's a power reliever. These are two guys that could be big league starters by the all star break for good. I've never been a huge Dunning fan but he was a 1st rounder this year and was a top 50 draft prospect. He had real value.

I understand the idea of winning now and Eaton helps. Definitely seems like a panic move to me. Time will tell.

The changing his mechanics thing was a tweet from Keith Law. I've watched Giolito pitch prior to "mechanical changes" up close in ST and after the supposed "mechanical changes" yet it was watching him on TV. It's the same. I'm not a scout, or a player, or anything like that, but to my eyes, nothing has really changed. The James Paxton comparisons being made are polarizing.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #153: December 07, 2016, 06:03:56 PM »
If they don't get Jansen or Chapman after this POS trade, we are done.

God dang it Rizzo. You should sealed your fate out of town.

The only prayer we have his Dusty Baker, he is actually a good manager.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #154: December 07, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »

People have given up on Giolito way too fast. The organization started messing with his mechanics and his velocity and command suffered. That's common when you tinker with something. Especially with a kid. And then expect him to adjust at the big league level while bouncing back and forth. He's still very highly regarded and imo will be an very, very good starter in the league.

Agree with this on Giolito. I didn't follow baseball as closely this year but I couldn't believe how quickly people gave up.

Offline OvechkinsWodka

• chicks dig curly W's
« Reply #155: December 07, 2016, 06:04:45 PM »
I had hoped we could be a good team pass 2018. But with trading our future rotation for a cheap salary CF.
this team is gonna be trash after we lose Harper for nothing.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #156: December 07, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
View 2 new Tweets
Barry Svrluga ‏@barrysvrluga  42s43 seconds ago
Neither Jansen nor Chapman have Boras as representation, so the path to Ted Lerner isn't what it was with Scherzer, Soriano, Strasburg.

Again, it's clear Rizzo isn't allowed to spend as he wishes. Ken Rosenthal talking about it right now on MLB network.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #157: December 07, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP  16s16 seconds ago
Nats have handled C and CF cheap. That's good if they use the powder kept dry on closer. Given ownership's history, hard to expect.

They pull down/pay a closer and I'll forgive 'em for givin' away Gio and Lopez at the same time.    We kept the wrong Gio.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #158: December 07, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »
FWIW, Eaton was not on Cameron's top 50 trade value players this year even with the contract.  Giolito was #40. This was a mid-year article. 

Offline mk6lazarchick

« Reply #159: December 07, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »
Awful awful trade. Unless they are going after Jansen or Chapman, there is no point to this. Robles for Cutch was the move to make. Not decimate the entire pitching depth of your farm

Offline Rasta

« Reply #160: December 07, 2016, 06:07:13 PM »
From a White Sox beat writer.

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien  37s37 seconds ago
The White Sox got such a big package for Adam Eaton because he was in high demand by 3 teams.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #161: December 07, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
Cost seems high but I didn't watch enough baseball this year to sour on Giolito like everyone else has done.

He didn't show any promise at all...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #162: December 07, 2016, 06:07:54 PM »
From a White Sox beat writer.

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien  37s37 seconds ago
The White Sox got such a big package for Adam Eaton because he was in high demand by 3 teams.

Probably the Red Sox floatin' crap.     :)

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #163: December 07, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
all in baby all in  :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #165: December 07, 2016, 06:08:54 PM »
I think the idea is to move Eaton to a corner when Robles is here, do not forget I would not be shocked if Soto beats Robles to the majors.

I've never heard of Soto and don't follow the minors really so you'll have to fill me in on him, but I hope Rizzo knows what he's doing, first impression is we overpaid a bit.

At least this means no Espinosa in the lineup. Of course someone will probably get injured in the first week and back he'll be.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #166: December 07, 2016, 06:09:24 PM »
I'm going to wait to see how this all plays out. In just about every trade, on fan base freaks out. We'll see what it looks like in a couple of years. Maybe it turns out to be a great trade for the Nats, maybe it becomes another Colon trade.

Too soon to know.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #167: December 07, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »
I'm going to wait to see how this all plays out. In just about every trade, on fan base freaks out. We'll see what it looks like in a couple of years. Maybe it turns out to be a great trade for the Nats, maybe it becomes another Colon trade.

Too soon to know.

I don't have a couple years.    :old:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #168: December 07, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »
MLB TV just said they're expecting a news conference soon.

Offline OvechkinsWodka

• chicks dig curly W's
« Reply #169: December 07, 2016, 06:12:43 PM »
Rizzo somehow gets a pass on this because the cheap owners?? He just F'ed this franchise, this trade makes me depressed for the future of the Nats

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #170: December 07, 2016, 06:15:05 PM »
 :panic: :panic: :panic: DO SOMETHING RIZZO!!!   :panic: :panic: :panic:

:panic: :panic: :panic: NOT THAT RIZZO!!!  :panic: :panic: :panic:

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #171: December 07, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
It just feels strange to me that there are people who would be okay with acquiring Chris Sale at a position of non-need (14.8 bWAR over the previous 3 seasons) but are outraged with acquiring Adam Eaton at a position of HEAVY need (15.4 bWAR over the previous 3 seasons).

Especially when Sale would have cost Robles as well, and is under team control for fewer seasons at a higher price.

He's not perfect, but he's a pretty decent player who seems to tick the boxes most people here care about (gets Espinosa out of the lineup, makes contact).

Offline Rasta

« Reply #172: December 07, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
I don't have a couple years.    :old:

My dad passed away a few years ago and he desperately wanted to see a world series title in DC. He suffered through the miserable years when we didn't have a franchise.

When Cubs fans used to complain about their drought he used to always tell me that they should be grateful they have a team to watch. He loved baseball and missed the Senators so much.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #173: December 07, 2016, 06:15:51 PM »
Conference on NOW  ... MLB TV  ....  Dusty and Rizzo

Offline Rasta

« Reply #174: December 07, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
It just feels strange to me that there are people who would be okay with acquiring Chris Sale at a position of non-need (14.8 bWAR over the previous 3 seasons) but are outraged with acquiring Adam Eaton at a position of HEAVY need (15.4 bWAR over the previous 3 seasons).

Especially when Sale would have cost Robles as well, and is under team control for fewer seasons at a cheaper price.

He's not perfect, but he's a pretty decent player who seems to tick the boxes most people here care about (gets Espinosa out of the lineup, makes contact).

Agreed. Big prices but people undervalue Eaton.