Author Topic: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning  (Read 91112 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning
« Reply #125: December 07, 2016, 05:52:38 PM »
God damn you Rizzo. Or should we blame the Lerners for not paying money for someone like Fowler and saving our prospects which we will undoubtedly need.
If the Nats can advance past the first round and make a run at the big prize in either of the next two years, maybe you sit back and say this trade is win-win.

I just hate trades where if you don't win right away it has potential to be a deal you regret for years. If Nats have another '13/'15 season or continue first round struggles, it'll be uncomfortable watching Giolito and Lopez dealing for the White Sox because the Nats hit the panic button after their age 22 seasons.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #126: December 07, 2016, 05:53:28 PM »
I honest to god have no idea what Rizzo just did. Maybe he wants to work for the White Sox.

I was just talking smack to an Orioles fan about their GM. Jesus. I got nothing.

We are F*cked.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #127: December 07, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »
yup.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
22s
On #Nationals: Ownership will splurge for a Werth or Scherzer, but overall constraints make contracts like Eaton's that much more attractive

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #128: December 07, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »
Even Bryce in disbelief.
The team has totally given up on the strategy of balancing future and present.

I am as frustrated as anyone the Nats have not made it out of the first round, but the problem has been a slumping offense. Hoping Eaton gets a couple timely hits in October doesn't seem worth two top 100 arms.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #129: December 07, 2016, 05:54:38 PM »
If the Nats can advance past the first round and make a run at the big prize in either of the next two years, maybe you sit back and say this trade is win-win.

I just hate trades where if you don't win right away it has potential to be a deal you regret for years. If Nats have another '13/'15 season or continue first round struggles, it'll be uncomfortable watching Giolito and Lopez dealing for the White Sox because the Nats hit the panic button after their age 22 seasons.
QFT. I just hate losing both guys. One I could deal with but both :hang: Would have almost rather dealt both Fedde/Voth/+ in substitution.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #130: December 07, 2016, 05:54:48 PM »
I've always liked Eaton from afar but this trade makes no freaking sense. It cleared out our pitching depth.

If Voth couldn't make any appearances towards the end of season, they're probably down on him. Cole is a long-reliever at best. Fedde I don't know anything about but he seems to be the only notable prospect there left.

And we need pitching depth when you have almost $400MM locked up in two pitchers, one with constant injuries and one getting older and more home run prone year by year. Not to mention Gio. Or am I to believe Rizzo is going to sign another FA pitcher for a ton of buckaroos?

Eaton's good and locked up for five years I believe, why would you not then include Robles? That's enough time to draft or trade for an heir apparent to Eaton. Unless Robles is going to be balls to the wall good, what the hell?

I'm with Slate on this one which feels weird. I don't know why we were against Fowler. I'd rather have him at a non-exorbitant price and keep depth than trade all that. I'm especially going to miss Lopez, I loved his curveball and think he's going to be a good starter.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #131: December 07, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
So many whiners in here, lol.

Read the Cameron article. TINSTAAPP, for real. Spin rate down. Velocity down. Curveball spin rate down. Never had the insane K numbers since A ball. Giolito comes with a bit too much concern here to feel comfortable. Lopez was the big loss in my eyes because his ceiling could have been legit number 1 with a floor being a big league closer.

Nats get a really good, cost controlled piece for 5 years, giving them some wiggle room in 2018 when Harper leaves. I think this is a good deal. As much as I hope there is news that Chapman or Jansen is coming here, I realize that Colome is much more likely. I alos love the idea of spending money on Holland and someone like Uehara as well.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #132: December 07, 2016, 05:55:58 PM »
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
On other hand, one #Nationals player sent me this text: "WTF?!?!" Team still needs closer. Likely out on big two. Melancon, Davis off board.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #133: December 07, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »

Eaton has a better chance of helping us in the next two years than little gio and lopez do. Rizzo wants to win now and he just upgraded the roster to do so. I don't see why people are panicking.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #134: December 07, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »

One of the biggest problems with this trade is that the Nats aren't trading a pile of low-minors guys who wouldn't have contributed to their 2-year window.  They traded at least 2 guys who would almost certainly have been on the MLB roster, possibly both in the rotation, in the second year of that window.  Unless you think right now Giolito's hurt or a confirmed bust, Lopez isn't a starter or a closer in the next 2 years, or both conditions are true, this is an overpay.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #135: December 07, 2016, 05:56:33 PM »
This Sale trade doesn't sit well with me, for some reason.

[jump cut]

I don't know, hopefully I'm wrong about this gut feeling if we do make the trade. I'd MUCH rather get Adam Eaton for the same prospect package.

Still feel this way. Also really happy that Rizzo seems to be realizing the value of position players over #TINSTAAPP. Remember when Seattle had potential aces in Taijuan Walker and Danny Hultzen?

Here are the top pitching prospects on Baseball America's 2010 top 100:

2. Stephen Strasburg
5. Brian Matusz
9. Neftali Feliz
14. Madison Bumgarner
17. Martin Perez
18. Jeremy Hellickson
22. Aroldis Chapman
23. Tyler Matzek
24. Casey Kelly
25. Kyle Drabek

Of course it's possible that we end up regretting the losses of Giolito and Lopez, but it's pretty unlikely we'll regret it on the Strasburg/Bumgarner level. Heading into 2010 Strasburg was a once in a lifetime prospect and Bumgarner had already been successful in the majors at age 19. The *most likely* outcome is that Giolito becomes a kind of okay pitcher, and Lopez becomes a really good reliever, and that one or both has arm troubles.

I'm really happy to get out of this without giving up Robles, who may be farther away but seems to be the one out of all of them that no one has questions about (and is a position player to boot).

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #136: December 07, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »
Also, I tweeted to Jeff Passan with his Don Cooper tweet. Why Don Cooper is so highly regarded and Mike Maddux isn't is beyond me.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #137: December 07, 2016, 05:57:11 PM »
Eh, we'll make up the prospects when we trade Harper :stir:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #138: December 07, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
At least Gio's surgery was paid off.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #139: December 07, 2016, 05:58:01 PM »
Welp were definitely all in

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #140: December 07, 2016, 05:58:04 PM »
That lineup is gonna be really good the next couple of years. If it pays off in a parade, it will be worth it.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #141: December 07, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »
QFT. I just hate losing both guys. One I could deal with but both :hang: Would have almost rather dealt both Fedde/Voth/+ in substitution.
I totally expect Eaton to slot in as a very solid center fielder and post a good slash line while getting a 5+ WAR but I just don't think it's worth it. We just paid $100,000 for a $75,000 car.

Hopefully he continues his consistent uptick in quality of play past few season, gets a couple hits in October, and you, myself, and other doubters look silly come a couple seasons from now.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #142: December 07, 2016, 05:58:40 PM »
Nice to see SF is still obsessed with prospects.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #143: December 07, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »
Unless you think right now Giolito's hurt or a confirmed bust, Lopez isn't a starter in the long run, or both, this is an overpay.

I think this is the opinion of many, but I guess we'll know once Don Cooper teaches Giolito the cutter :) Happy they're going to the AL Central where I won't have to hear about them ever again. I forgot Zimmermann was ever even on the team this year!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #144: December 07, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »
Any rotation that requires Gio Gonzalez to be a playoff starter is not a good one. This sucks. The rotation has tons of question marks from an injury and performance perspective. Not good enough to compete for a WS.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #145: December 07, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
Welp were definitely all in

All in meaning trading our best players for a non-elite player?

My god, today is the worse day ever to be a Nats fan. I am embarassed.

Offline RD

« Reply #146: December 07, 2016, 05:59:31 PM »
Just adding my two cents.

Don't like it.

Eaton is solid and has a great contract. Totally understand what he brings, and it is a positive.

But for 3 arms? One an elite prospect, one that is a top 50 guy that shown flashes of brilliance and has a fall back as a closer, and a 1dt round draft pick 6 months ago? Just way too much imo.

People have given up on Giolito way too fast. The organization started messing with his mechanics and his velocity and command suffered. That's common when you tinker with something. Especially with a kid. And then expect him to adjust at the big league level while bouncing back and forth. He's still very highly regarded and imo will be an very, very good starter in the league. Ace potential, but even if he doesn't reach it, he's still got the ability to be above average. Lopez is a late bloomer with two knockout pitches. If the chance get doesn't come along, he's a power reliever. These are two guys that could be big league starters by the all star break for good. I've never been a huge Dunning fan but he was a 1st rounder this year and was a top 50 draft prospect. He had real value.

I understand the idea of winning now and Eaton helps. Definitely seems like a panic move to me. Time will tell.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #147: December 07, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
I totally expect Eaton to slot in as a very solid center fielder and post a good slash line while getting a 5+ WAR but I just don't think it's worth it. We just paid $100,000 for a $75,000 car.

Hopefully he continues his consistent uptick in quality of play past few season, gets a couple hits in October, and you, myself, and other doubters look silly come a couple seasons from now.

If he posts five seasons of 5+ WAR, that's totally worth it,

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #148: December 07, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
Sign Chapman or Jansen or this is all a waste

Adam Kilgore @AdamKilgoreWP
28s
Nats have handled C and CF cheap. That's good if they use the powder kept dry on closer. Given ownership's history, hard to expect.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #149: December 07, 2016, 06:02:51 PM »
I've always liked Eaton from afar but this trade makes no freaking sense. It cleared out our pitching depth.

If Voth couldn't make any appearances towards the end of season, they're probably down on him. Cole is a long-reliever at best. Fedde I don't know anything about but he seems to be the only notable prospect there left.

And we need pitching depth when you have almost $400MM locked up in two pitchers, one with constant injuries and one getting older and more home run prone year by year. Not to mention Gio. Or am I to believe Rizzo is going to sign another FA pitcher for a ton of buckaroos?

Eaton's good and locked up for five years I believe, why would you not then include Robles? That's enough time to draft or trade for an heir apparent to Eaton. Unless Robles is going to be balls to the wall good, what the hell?

I'm with Slate on this one which feels weird. I don't know why we were against Fowler. I'd rather have him at a non-exorbitant price and keep depth than trade all that. I'm especially going to miss Lopez, I loved his curveball and think he's going to be a good starter.
I think the idea is to move Eaton to a corner when Robles is here, do not forget I would not be shocked if Soto beats Robles to the majors.