Author Topic: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning  (Read 91130 times)

Offline Truconfidence

Re: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning
« Reply #75: December 07, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
Well, that's a bold trade.  I like Eaton, but that's a lot to give up.  With that price, he has to play CF and play it well while hitting a lot.  If this team ends up short on starting pitching any time in the next 3 years, you better hope Eaton's really, really good. 

Most importantly, you better hope Strasburg and Ross aren't f'ed.  I'm not sold on that fact for either.  This also almost certainly means Gio Gonzalez is going nowhere.
Unless he gets hurt, i dont think he will forget how to hit. His career stats are the model of consistency.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #76: December 07, 2016, 05:30:52 PM »
"Let's Watch Adam Eaton Save 12 Runs" (with lots of video GIFs)

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #77: December 07, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Most importantly, you better hope Strasburg and Ross aren't f'ed.  I'm not sold on that fact for either.  This also almost certainly means Gio Gonzalez is going nowhere.

Mat Latos 2017!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #78: December 07, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »
Love Eaton but man our starting pitching depth is now non-existent. Really couldn't afford to lose both Giolito and Lopez.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #79: December 07, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »
I think the Nats may have been worried about little Gio. Crazy about the drop in velo and his curve was nowhere near as sharp as it had been in years past. It will be very interesting to watch him from here on out. Lopez is the one I wish wasn't in there.

Agreed. Giolito was a mistake they have correctly realized and passed along to Chicago, so there's that. Lopez looked very promising, but you have to give to get. We needed someone like Eaton and have the money now to get a FA closer. Better lineup and probably no great loss in future rotations. Riz is in!

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #80: December 07, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
You're short a w there.

I want Coleme :shrug: hope one of those guys wasn't a dealbreaker for the Rays

Offline whytev

« Reply #81: December 07, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »
The problem with the Meyer deal was .... Rizzo gave up on Span way too soon.  In retrospect anyway, we'd be a good deal better off now if we'd kept him/

No. Span shows why that trade was genius in 2014, and we suffered from bad luck in 2015. It happens. We lost Rendon that year also.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #82: December 07, 2016, 05:32:48 PM »
A 280 career high hitter
World Series here we come
you know who else was around a high .280 career hitter before last year? Daniel Murphy.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #83: December 07, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan  3m3 minutes ago
The Nationals were down on Lucas Giolito, and the entire industry knew it. Put Giolito together with Don Cooper, and good things can happen.

Barry Svrluga ‏@barrysvrluga  28s29 seconds ago
Jeff and I were just talking about this, and it might be the deal's biggest takeaway. Internally, some Nats officials had soured on Giolito.

Very interested to know what exactly happened. That's a big shift in one year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #84: December 07, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
This is awesome...Rizzo fleeced the Sox by giving them AAAA talent. AND, now we can rid ourselves of Danny...

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #85: December 07, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »
Rizzo is going for it, and seriously you can't blame him.. I do not like this deal but i can understand it

Offline whytev

« Reply #86: December 07, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »
I want Coleme :shrug: hope one of those guys wasn't a dealbreaker for the Rays

Nah let's get him. Bargain contracts!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #87: December 07, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »
Unless he gets hurt, i dont think he will forget how to hit. His career stats are the model of consistency.

I would have said the same thing about Werth, whose OPS was .860 or over for 4 consecutive years before coming here and OPSing .718 while looking lost his first year.  Now's not the time for counting chickens, as relatively safe an assumption as it seems to do so.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #88: December 07, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
This is awesome...Rizzo fleeced the Sox by giving them AAAA talent. AND, now we can rid ourselves of Danny...
I saw something in Lopez. Really wish we could have excluded him unless we were getting someone like Sale. Eaton is very good but we overpaid.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #89: December 07, 2016, 05:35:27 PM »
Huh, where have they signed, UMD?

Chapman is probably NYY-bound and has been for a while, and Jansen looks like Miami. Fowler spurned us last year, why would he suddenly be OK coming here?

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #90: December 07, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »
I expect we'll look back on this deal and be very satisfied.  Let's get a closer.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #91: December 07, 2016, 05:36:31 PM »
David Cameron ‏@DCameronFG  48s49 seconds ago
2014-2016 WAR
Andrew McCutchen: +13.3
Adam Eaton: +12.7

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #92: December 07, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
I think the Nats may have been worried about little Gio. Crazy about the drop in velo and his curve was nowhere near as sharp as it had been in years past. It will be very interesting to watch him from here on out. Lopez is the one I wish wasn't in there.
The drop in velocity was especially disturbing given his arm was supposedly Ok. And that fastball was straight. Let's face it. He did not look very good when he had a chance. Doesn't mean he will be a busy but he doesn't look like a star. Losing Lopez is tough.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #93: December 07, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
Love Eaton but man our starting pitching depth is now non-existent. Really couldn't afford to lose both Giolito and Lopez.

If 2 of our starters are hurt, we ain't going anywhere anyways. I'm still amazed Cleveland got to the World Series without Brantley, Carrasco and Salazar.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #94: December 07, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »
I would be fine with Danny on the bench. Late inning defense. And someone to take a HBP when you need it.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #95: December 07, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »
Chapman is probably NYY-bound and has been for a while, and Jansen looks like Miami. Fowler spurned us last year, why would he suddenly be OK coming here?

"Probably"

So, cash is still king. Hell, they still may sign one! Your "it worked in The Show" comment is fair for most of ZDK's trades, but I don't see how it applies to FA that the Nats have/are trying for.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #96: December 07, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »
I would be fine with Danny on the bench. Late inning defense. And someone to take a HBP when you need it.

Except he's a complete douche who makes a fuss if you try to put him in that role.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #97: December 07, 2016, 05:39:11 PM »

the rotation 1-5 is still top 6 in basbeall and now we should be able to hit.. I am so sick of being close but no cigar. freak it why not go for it

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #98: December 07, 2016, 05:40:02 PM »
David Cameron ‏@DCameronFG  48s49 seconds ago
2014-2016 WAR
Andrew McCutchen: +13.3
Adam Eaton: +12.7

What have you done for me lately. As in, last year.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #99: December 07, 2016, 05:40:09 PM »
A 280 career high hitter
World Series here we come

.284, which isn't bad, and OBP over .350 every year. He did hit .300 his rookie year if you are obsessed with AVG, although you should read some other stats.

This is a step in the right direction for our lineup for sure. You get rid of another low average, high K hitter from the infield, add Eaton, move Turner to SS. Lineup steadily looking more like a more consistent lineup which pays off in the playoffs.

Cost seems high but I didn't watch enough baseball this year to sour on Giolito like everyone else has done.