Author Topic: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning  (Read 92509 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning
« Reply #200: December 07, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
The lineup is still problematic, but I agree with your reasoning.

The trade isn't the best, but it makes sense given where the Nats are.

Rendon needs to really step it up.  He should be hitting 3rd with Murphy protecting Harper and hitting 5th.  Move Werth to 6th.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #201: December 07, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
Hate speech

He's Canadian.   They don't hate.    :couch:    Though lookin' at the startin' lineup reveals a lot of beige.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #202: December 07, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
The only major problem to me is that the Nats' lineup is still kind of soft even after the trade.  Zimmerman and Rendon at the corners might have been exciting four years ago, but now it doesn't exactly inspire confidence given how injury prone those two are.  I feel like the Nats need some kind of corner IF depth.

Offline whytev

« Reply #203: December 07, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »
Please, for the love of all that is good in the universe, don't start this stupid rhetoric.

Your tongue-in-cheek detector needs calibration.

Offline whytev

« Reply #204: December 07, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »
Rendon needs to really step it up.  He should be hitting 3rd with Murphy protecting Harper and hitting 5th.  Move Werth to 6th.

Yes the comeback player of the year better straighten out.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #205: December 07, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »
I am a White Sox fan. Adam Eaton is one of my favorite players in all of MLB. He plays great defense. He has more power than you'd think for a CF/lead-off type. I do not know that he is worth Giolito AND Lopez, but who knows. Maybe Rizzo has inside information on their health or something.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #206: December 07, 2016, 06:31:08 PM »
Your tongue-in-cheek detector needs calibration.

True dat.     We just had a trying election.   Bear with us for awhile.    :)

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #207: December 07, 2016, 06:32:59 PM »
I guess the Lerners told rizzo he better do something because this was a somewhat desperate trade. That's a lot for JUST Eaton.

If he gets Jansen or chapman, then it signals in it to win it. Otherwise this is a terrible deal and the white sox got more value from this than the Sale trade.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #208: December 07, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »
Rizzo doesn't like Giolito.

I am a White Sox fan. Adam Eaton is one of my favorite players in all of MLB. He plays great defense. He has more power than you'd think for a CF/lead-off type. I do not know that he is worth Giolito AND Lopez, but who knows. Maybe Rizzo has inside information on their health or something.

Offline whytev

« Reply #209: December 07, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »

You only need a radar gun to worry about Giolito.

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #210: December 07, 2016, 06:36:52 PM »

Execs are saying the white sox did better in eaton trade than the sale trade. So yes, it supports your point.

This is so typical. Come up short on a great opportunity to get a guy who is rarely available and then overreact and make an overpay desperation move anyway. This is so pointless without a closer. Oh well, guess it's a win that rizzo didn't do the overpay on a potentially declining player like McCutchen.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #211: December 07, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »
True dat.     We just had a trying election.   Bear with us for awhile.    :)

I'm seeing it on twitter. People gotta relax about this kind of stuff.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #212: December 07, 2016, 06:38:26 PM »
FWIW, in any trade, history will be the judge of it. The rest is speculation.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #213: December 07, 2016, 06:38:57 PM »
You only need a radar gun to worry about Giolito.

We'll know for sure by this time next year. Young guy, still working back from TJS, wears down. Scouts still saw those velos in ST and earlier in the year. These velo and spin rate numbers come from a very small sample size.

Offline mk6lazarchick

« Reply #214: December 07, 2016, 06:39:11 PM »
Execs are saying the white sox did better in eaton trade than the sale trade. So yes, it supports your point.

This is so typical. Come up short on a great opportunity to get a guy who is rarely available and then overreact and make an overpay desperation move anyway. This is so pointless without a closer. Oh well, guess it's a win that rizzo didn't do the overpay on a potentially declining player like McCutchen.

Sorry but Cutch would have been a better move than this

Offline mitlen

« Reply #215: December 07, 2016, 06:40:09 PM »
I'm seeing it on twitter. People gotta relax about this kind of stuff.

I can't speak for others but I'm (and I think most in here) relaxed.     However, ya can't miss it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #216: December 07, 2016, 06:40:52 PM »
Except Giolito isn't going to amount to anything, and Eaton is under control for five years, for a fraction of what Cutch would have cost. So they gave up one almost-major-league-ready pitcher and an okay prospect.

I guess the Lerners told rizzo he better do something because this was a somewhat desperate trade. That's a lot for JUST Eaton.

If he gets Jansen or chapman, then it signals in it to win it. Otherwise this is a terrible deal and the white sox got more value from this than the Sale trade.

Offline sph274

« Reply #217: December 07, 2016, 06:41:02 PM »
The fortunes of this team ride on harper. Without am mvp season from him we are a nlds/nlcs team. Without him we will be mediocre

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #218: December 07, 2016, 06:41:23 PM »
Except Giolito isn't going to amount to anything, and Eaton is under control for five years, for a fraction of what Cutch would have cost. So they gave up one almost-major-league-ready pitching and a meh prospect.

All of this.  I love this trade...

AND WE GET RID OF DANNY!

Offline Hogie

« Reply #219: December 07, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »
Don't make excuses for Giolito. He's just freaking garbage.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #220: December 07, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »
Where in here do you see anyone making excuses for Giolito? :shrug:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #221: December 07, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »

:spit:    The Hogie's in the house.

Offline RD

« Reply #222: December 07, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »
The changing his mechanics thing was a tweet from Keith Law. I've watched Giolito pitch prior to "mechanical changes" up close in ST and after the supposed "mechanical changes" yet it was watching him on TV. It's the same. I'm not a scout, or a player, or anything like that, but to my eyes, nothing has really changed. The James Paxton comparisons being made are polarizing.

Point taken. My comments aren't based on comparing Giolito from his big league stint to his AA stint or even earlier. It's a generalization about mechanical changes. Fwiw, I doubt Law would lie about something like that and, I read about that at the beginning of the year here. I don't know if that was from Law or not but I see no reason to question a simple.comment like that.

Anyway, mechanical.changes mid season are hard for the player. You may not be able to see the changes. Some players struggle with it. You work on things in the pen between starts but once you get into the games a lot of times you revert back to your "old" mechanics. It's tough mentally. You can be there telling yourself what to work on (get on top of the ball, stay back, stay closed, etc etc) but your body doesn't do it. It's a tough adjustment for a veteran, let alone a 22 year old. Especially with kids, they might say at times, my "old" way got.me here and revert to that in certain spots. Thinking about all kinds of things on the mound is never good for velocity or control.

I'm not saying this certainly happened with Giolito. I'm saying it has happened to many payers thst go through mechanical work, especially mid season. It happens. It's definitely a possibility for Gio. Especially when you find out he was working on things.

Anyway, my feelings aren't just because Giolito was moved. Straight up would've been much easier to swallow. Lopez too? And Dunning? It's the grouping of the trip I don't like. Just too much talent and ability there for a solid player.

If someone they see the savings on Eaton as a way to get Chapman, it'll make it easier to take though. Not counting on that one however.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #223: December 07, 2016, 06:44:13 PM »
All of this.  I love this trade...

AND WE GET RID OF DANNY!

Hey, read Mitlen's posts....don't get too excited yet.... :hang:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #224: December 07, 2016, 06:46:32 PM »
Hey, read Mitlen's posts....don't get too excited yet.... :hang:

Huh?