Author Topic: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning  (Read 92825 times)

Offline Mattionals

Re: Eaton for Giolito Lopez and Dunning
« Reply #150: December 07, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »
Just adding my two cents.

Don't like it.

Eaton is solid and has a great contract. Totally understand what he brings, and it is a positive.

But for 3 arms? One an elite prospect, one that is a top 50 guy that shown flashes of brilliance and has a fall back as a closer, and a 1dt round draft pick 6 months ago? Just way too much imo.

People have given up on Giolito way too fast. The organization started messing with his mechanics and his velocity and command suffered. That's common when you tinker with something. Especially with a kid. And then expect him to adjust at the big league level while bouncing back and forth. He's still very highly regarded and imo will be an very, very good starter in the league. Ace potential, but even if he doesn't reach it, he's still got the ability to be above average. Lopez is a late bloomer with two knockout pitches. If the chance get doesn't come along, he's a power reliever. These are two guys that could be big league starters by the all star break for good. I've never been a huge Dunning fan but he was a 1st rounder this year and was a top 50 draft prospect. He had real value.

I understand the idea of winning now and Eaton helps. Definitely seems like a panic move to me. Time will tell.

The changing his mechanics thing was a tweet from Keith Law. I've watched Giolito pitch prior to "mechanical changes" up close in ST and after the supposed "mechanical changes" yet it was watching him on TV. It's the same. I'm not a scout, or a player, or anything like that, but to my eyes, nothing has really changed. The James Paxton comparisons being made are polarizing.