Author Topic: NL Division Series: Nationals vs Dodgers, Game 5  (Read 101258 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Rizzo's Tommy Bahama loving ass is probably already on a plane to Arizona.

And a fat check waiting. Those jackasses gave La Russa big money. Imagine what Rizzo's going to get...

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Watch Schu stay put.

I don't doubt it. It's pretty likely we'll see the same goddamn lineup next year too, sans Ramos, and have to be okay with it.

Online Five Banners

Caps losing to Pittsburgh...again and this choke job has really cemented my give a damn being busted. I just don't care anymore.

Gave up on the Caps last season when they were clearly the best team in the East. Nats coaches and chokers are same old. Losers.

A couple of real money savers.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
And the worst part is Kelley, one of the bright spots this year and going forward, might have blown out his arm.

Offline nats2playoffs

Phil Wood says that Kelly is feeling better. Had lost feeling in his fingers.

Charlie & Dave & Phil Wood ripping Harper for getting failing to even shorten his lead off 1B, after nearly getting picked off, only to be actually picked off. They also ripped Sendley for not holding up Werth from being thrown out at home, when the ball arrived at home when he was only halfway there.

Werth struck out 3 times and took 2 walks. He's usually more dependable. 

Offline madj55

I had a fun 167 games with you folks.

Bless the game of baseball and the Washington Nationals.

Tonight sucked. Ready for Spring Training.
freak baseball and freak the Washington Nationals.

Offline stoneghost28

Ironically, the other choke artists started their season tonight.

How'd you forget to mention that it was an "overtime loss to the penguins," sooo perfect, it's almost impossible to believe it actually happened. What makes it so sickening is how predictable it is, how i come in ALWAYS sure the roof is going to cave in, then the slight glimmer of hope opens a 1 percent sliver of light, and then of course it's the cliche'd train running you down with the latest iteration of some spoiled rotten fan base that's gobbled up multiple titles for decades since the last time we've even sniffed a chance let alone won one.

It's so bad my wife is suggesting aggressively our 4 month old not take up DC sports fandom and I agree with her. Why inflict the -------- caps, wizards, redskins, and nats on him? Sporting relationships that offered nothing save pain and horror, and gallows humor at best for the entirety of my life save the redskins when I was in grade school.

It really sucks to have zero faith whatsoever in literally any of your favorite teams. It sucks. I envy the bizarre resiliency of people who inexplicably believe each year. I only believe that if the playoffs are made, they're made simply to insure that the pain of inevitable failure is amplified and exacerbated to the utmost.

Offline nats2playoffs

Werth killed this team in Game 5. Base running & 3 strikeouts.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Phil Wood said on the post game show that the Nats set a record for most strikeouts in a DS. That really killed us, especially tonight.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
The ten highest attendances ever at Nationals Park:

45,966   Friday 12th October 2012 vs Cardinals [NLDS Game 5]
45,274   Monday 1st April 2013 vs Marlins [season/home opener]
45,017   Wednesday 10th October 2012 vs Cardinals [NLDS Game 3]
44,685   Saturday 20th August 2011 vs Phillies
44,392   Thursday 11th October 2012 vs Cardinals [NLDS Game 4]
44,035   Friday 3rd October 2014 vs Giants [NLDS Game 1]
44,035   Saturday 4th October 2014 vs Giants [NLDS Game 2]
43,936   Thursday 13th October 2016 vs Dodgers [NLDS Game 5]
43,915   Friday 7th October 2016 vs Dodgers [NLDS Game 1]
43,826   Sunday 9th October 2016 vs Dodgers [NLDS Game 2]

---
Also - crowd still sounded pretty good in the late going (over the radio broadcast) - didn't sound like too many left to catch the last Metrorail.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Amazing. Kershaw's only other save was 10 years ago pitching against the nats gcl rookie team. The catcher was kenley Jansen. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Online Natsinpwc

Phil Wood said on the post game show that the Nats set a record for most strikeouts in a DS. That really killed us, especially tonight.
Lack of power also. Team lives off of HRs and didn't hit enough.

Offline Mighty Casey

no Natitude....only Ineptitude....we've endured the constant stream of K's throughout the season...this team thrives on diving for dogshyte....in three weeks, we'll finally hear the truth from M Rizzo (something he is incapable of telling during the season) about Harper (whose performance tanked severely after June) - some injury requiring medical attention; that Stras is done-ski, likely facing a second TJ procedure, how he still has great faith in his guys, things didn't go our way (like opposing pitches bouncing in the dirt to be swung at by our flailers), how good Espinosa is...yadda yadda yadda....what horse$hit....
The Nats must lead the leagues in squandered opportunity, inept base running and failure to play small ball...over and over and over and over...I've decided to not renew my 20 game package, and won't spend a nickel on these clowns next season...and have put away any Nats memorabilia, lest I accidentally wear it public and subject myself to ridicule and scorn.

Offline Mighty Casey

one spot-on statement from that referenced article....about mental effort...something this team has lacked for eons...only one or two players apply themselves mentally...the rest just wander onto the field and scratch their overpaid arses....

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I was sitting in 302 so had a great view of the exodus that wasn't. I have no idea how so many avoided Metro. If 2K fans left for the last train, I'd be surprised.

That said, traffic out of the area was hellish.

The Metro sucks cheer was throaty and anger-tinged.

The ten highest attendances ever at Nationals Park:

45,966   Friday 12th October 2012 vs Cardinals [NLDS Game 5]
45,274   Monday 1st April 2013 vs Marlins [season/home opener]
45,017   Wednesday 10th October 2012 vs Cardinals [NLDS Game 3]
44,685   Saturday 20th August 2011 vs Phillies
44,392   Thursday 11th October 2012 vs Cardinals [NLDS Game 4]
44,035   Friday 3rd October 2014 vs Giants [NLDS Game 1]
44,035   Saturday 4th October 2014 vs Giants [NLDS Game 2]
43,936   Thursday 13th October 2016 vs Dodgers [NLDS Game 5]
43,915   Friday 7th October 2016 vs Dodgers [NLDS Game 1]
43,826   Sunday 9th October 2016 vs Dodgers [NLDS Game 2]

---
Also - crowd still sounded pretty good in the late going (over the radio broadcast) - didn't sound like too many left to catch the last Metrorail.

Online Five Banners

Lack of power also. Team lives off of HRs and didn't hit enough.

Exactly. Another reason why you need plate discipline and a manager that is adept at plans which manufacture runs. The bunts and lack thereof were telling in terms of prep and approach. And yeah, when it's proven that you need power and a number of bats that fit the bill and move at the trade deadline for an affordable price (Bruce and Lucroy come to mind) and you do nothing, this is not unexpected.

As with the Caps, the trade deadline futility is almost always left a move or short with assurances that the team didn't want to mortgage the future, yet other teams  still make moves of consequence without hamstringing this future. Yes to ask for both teams: is the future ever now? Just gets more more relevant as when does appear to get extended but never come close to opening all the way once playoff readiness matters.

Offline tzinc

this isn't Dusty's fault

this team over performed this year and I attribute that to him this team just isn't that strong

the problem is a lack of professional hitters and a decent back up starter

Rizzo is going to have to take a shot at some point

re-signing Stras looks like a huge mistake right now that will be a Werth like money sucking hole

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Amazing. Kershaw's only other save was 10 years ago pitching against the nats gcl rookie team. The catcher was kenley Jansen.

And that Nats GCL team was coached by Bob Henley. Go figure.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
And that Nats GCL team was coached by Bob Henley. Go figure.

Jesus.

Online Five Banners

I was sitting in 302 so had a great view of the exodus that wasn't. I have no idea how so many avoided Metro. If 2K fans left for the last train, I'd be surprised.

Was the same in 2014. As with the Caps, the problem isn't the fan's enthusiasm, except in that it can be exploited Leonsis-style as he leaves the same minders of the store in place way beyond their expiration date.

Offline OldChelsea

[...]I've decided to not renew my 20 game package, and won't spend a nickel on these clowns next season...and have put away any Nats memorabilia, lest I accidentally wear it public and subject myself to ridicule and scorn.

...don't let the door hit ya...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
A game for the true baseball fans. A great read:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-mlb-playoffs-just-played-to-their-base/

Disagree totally, the 7th inning pitching carousel made me hate baseball for a minute. 

Offline OldChelsea

Disagree totally, the 7th inning pitching carousel made me hate baseball for a minute. 

Last night's match seemed to be a contest of which manager could overmanage more. And that seventh inning was indeed dire (Charlie/Dave made a point of saying it took a total of 1hr 6min to play).

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Pain, pain, and more pain. Will take a few days for the bruises to fade.

Nats played the second half with only two starting pitchers. That's a problem. Gio is a likable number six -- no, number seven -- MLB starter. Lopez and Giolito were not ready, and Ross, when healthy, is a number 5 rotation pitcher. Needs work...maybe a half-season in AAA?

Nats need a CF so Espinosa can take his good glove and his strikeouts to the bench. Turner to 2B. Drew needs to be re-signed as backup 2B and 3B.

Catcher? Ah, if only Ramos had not been hurt, but, if healthy, he would have signed somewhere else anyway. Maybe Nats can carry a good-defense but weak-hitting catcher if Turner is at SS and ??? in CF.

Ugh.