Author Topic: Should expanded rosters rule be changed?  (Read 782 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Should expanded rosters rule be changed?
« Topic Start: September 06, 2016, 09:36:35 PM »
ESPN announcers the other night were complaining about how the September roster expansion makes for an unfair advantage for some teams w/ better AAA pitching, while making games longer b/c managers like Dusty won't hesitate to play match-ups.

Thoughts?

Me, I like the fact that you can call up reinforcements in general in order to reduce the potential for late season injury and in general to give the regular 25 more opportunity for breathers just before heading into the post season. I don't see the relief pitching thing getting abused, either. I just don't.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Should expanded rosters rule be changed?
« Reply #1: September 06, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »
I don't see any negatives.

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
« Reply #2: September 06, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
Announcers seem to like shorter games, not longer. Oddly enough.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: September 06, 2016, 10:17:32 PM »
I'm fine with it. It'd be good to limit the between-the-action time wasted, but otherwise, I'm good.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #4: September 07, 2016, 12:34:06 AM »
I remember someone talking about how they should be expanded in April too, because guys are still getting stretched out and into the grind or something. Thought that was interesting.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: September 07, 2016, 06:42:27 AM »
I like that they expand enough that teams usually  have an extra spot if they just want to reward a guy for a good aaa season even if they aren't going to be a major leaguer

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #6: September 07, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »
Expanded rosters also serve as an audition for many minor-leaguers. This is a chance for teams and fans to see what players have to offer. I've seen some suggestions that you can only have so many players "active" for a given game, even with the larger roster, and I'd be okay with that.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: September 07, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
Maybe 26 players active out of your 40 man roster per game.  You can deactivate the 4 rotation guys not scheduled, which can be split among bullpen, pinch runners, and field players plus 3d a catchers.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #8: September 07, 2016, 09:46:51 PM »
Maybe 26 players active out of your 40 man roster per game.  You can deactivate the 4 rotation guys not scheduled, which can be split among bullpen, pinch runners, and field players plus 3d a catchers.

Would not speed up the game much. Constant bullpen matching up. Maybe if the BP guys didn't get warm up pitches or something.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #9: September 08, 2016, 01:37:34 AM »
I was thinking have a 28 man active roster during September... but everyone that gets called up still gets paid on days they're not "up". Would give teams roster flexibility without being able to use 7 relievers to get 2 outs.