Author Topic: 2016 Arizona Fall League  (Read 3307 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
2016 Arizona Fall League
« Topic Start: August 31, 2016, 05:02:13 PM »
Nats sending 6 to the AFL this year:

P Ryan Brinley
P Nick Lee
P Austin Voth
3B Drew Ward
SS Osvaldo Abreu
Of Andrew Stevenson

Interesting group.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: 2016 Arizona Fall League
« Reply #1: August 31, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »
Ryan Brinkley is a RP who was an All Star in the Carolina League this year. Got the bump to AA and has gotten lit up. I have no scouting info on him right now. Maybe someone who has seen him pitch can lend some info and thoughts. 27th rd pick in the 2015 draft.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #2: August 31, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »
Brinley:
" Meanwhile, Brinley is a power arm at the back-end of games with a 92-94 FB, up to 95 at times, along with a hard and sharp breaking pitch" http://www.d1baseball.com/news/2015-conference-previews-southland/

Right-hander Ryan Brinley also got promoted to Harrisburg. He finished games for the P-Nats and earned a 0.65 ERA in 21 games. He had 10 saves and went 3-0. The 23-year-old has appeared in four games for the Senators and is learning how to deal with the Double-A level.

“He’s a really interesting kid,” said Keister. “He’s later round pick. He is really a good example of how good our scouts are. He was drafted last year and is already in Double-A. He led the league in saves. He’s fastball, changeup, and (his) breaking ball is still developing. Guys did not get good swings off of him. He could throw his fastball or changeup for strikes at any time in the count. He really deserves and earned his promotion.

“It will be an adjustment as a first year in full-season to get to Harrisburg, but one I think he’ll be fine with. He’s an exciting bullpen guy moving forward.”

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2016/07/whiting-and-brinley-display-why-they-earned-promotions-to-harrisburg.html

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #3: September 01, 2016, 12:46:57 AM »
Nats sending 6 to the AFL this year:

P Ryan Brinley
P Nick Lee
P Austin Voth
3B Drew Ward
SS Osvaldo Abreu
Of Andrew Stevenson

Interesting group.

I'm glad we have people with the energy to track this. Aside from Voth and Ward, I barely remember these names.

Offline whytev

« Reply #4: September 01, 2016, 01:58:51 AM »
I'm glad we have people with the energy to track this. Aside from Voth and Ward, I barely remember these names.

Stevenson is interesting.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: September 01, 2016, 08:58:25 AM »
I think Nikki Lee's mom used to hang out with Motley Crue, which explains the name.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #6: September 01, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »

Nick Lee is a RP who was on the 40-man this year and was DFA'd to make room for Koda. The org obviously likes him enough to use an AFL spot on a guy that could be gone this offseason... Stevenson was the 2nd round pick last year out of LSU. He's had a pretty good year. O. Abreu is a young SS with some batting stats, but Elvir and others have given us a brief scouting reports on Abreu that doesn't sound too great. Again, the org must think highly to give a guy in A-ball a chance in the AFL.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #7: September 01, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »
Nick Lee is a RP who was on the 40-man this year and was DFA'd to make room for Koda. The org obviously likes him enough to use an AFL spot on a guy that could be gone this offseason... Stevenson was the 2nd round pick last year out of LSU. He's had a pretty good year. O. Abreu is a young SS with some batting stats, but Elvir and others have given us a brief scouting reports on Abreu that doesn't sound too great. Again, the org must think highly to give a guy in A-ball a chance in the AFL.

Stevenson should be in the mix for a 2018 spot once Werth and Revere's contracts are done.

Doesn't have much power but he's ripped 38 bases and gotten on base at a .332 clip this year between high A and AA.

He's supposed to be a plus defender as well.   

Brandon, I know I quoted you but this was meant more for Welch.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #8: September 01, 2016, 09:59:54 AM »
Stevenson should be in the mix for a 2018 spot once Werth and Revere's contracts are done.

Doesn't have much power but he's ripped 38 bases and gotten on base at a .332 clip this year between high A and AA.

He's supposed to be a plus defender as well.   

Brandon, I know I quoted you but this was meant more for Welch.

Stevenson has struggled in AA, which is making that OBP look nice so impressive, but I'm expecting a turnaround in the AFL and next season.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: September 01, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »
Abreu played in a few spring training games, raw but looks like he could be something.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #10: September 01, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
Ryan Brinkley is a RP who was an All Star in the Carolina League this year. Got the bump to AA and has gotten lit up. I have no scouting info on him right now. Maybe someone who has seen him pitch can lend some info and thoughts. 27th rd pick in the 2015 draft.

He's back at Potomac and got rocked a couple nights back.  I still haven't seen him actually pitch to hitters, only once in the bullpen.  Not enough to go on from that.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #11: September 01, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »
I just think it's interesting to see the guys they picked for the AFL. This is usually the cream of the crop. The Nats aren't sending any of their top 5 (not that I was expecting Giolito, Lopez, or Fedde to go). Robles is interesting. They are sending two guys that played in A ball, but not Robles, which means (to me anyways) that he's not nearly on the fast track some have believed. Will be interesting to see if he starts in Hagerstown or Potomac next season.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #12: September 01, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
I just think it's interesting to see the guys they picked for the AFL. This is usually the cream of the crop. The Nats aren't sending any of their top 5 (not that I was expecting Giolito, Lopez, or Fedde to go). Robles is interesting. They are sending two guys that played in A ball, but not Robles, which means (to me anyways) that he's not nearly on the fast track some have believed. Will be interesting to see if he starts in Hagerstown or Potomac next season.

2015's group was blah, too.

Difo, Ward, Bacus, De Los Santos, Kieboom, Simms and Lee, I believe.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #13: September 01, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »
I am planning on attending the Rafter vs. Devil Dogs game on October 19 in Glendale

Online imref

« Reply #14: September 01, 2016, 10:30:03 PM »
I am planning on attending the Rafter vs. Devil Dogs game on October 19 in Glendale

Do the devil dogs play the ho hos?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #15: September 02, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
??

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: September 02, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
No. They play the ring dings.

Online imref

« Reply #17: September 02, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »
No. They play the ring dings.

And the Suzy-Q's

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: September 02, 2016, 12:10:09 PM »
And the Suzy-Q's
I think they may be in another division.

Online imref

« Reply #19: September 02, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
Three divisions: drake's, hostess, and little Debbie?

I'm craving a yodel now

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: September 02, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »
Three divisions: drake's, hostess, and little Debbie?

I'm craving a yodel now
Mom used to pack a ring ding every day for me in my lunch. Could go for one now.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #21: September 02, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
Ho Hos were the best

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #22: September 02, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
Stevenson has struggled in AA, which is making that OBP look nice so impressive, but I'm expecting a turnaround in the AFL and next season.

He's already had a significant turnaround. He started off really slow in AA, but here are his pre- and post-all-star stat lines:

Pre All-star break: .183 AVG/.210 OBP/.183 SLG/.393 OPS

Offline RD

« Reply #23: September 02, 2016, 06:56:23 PM »

I don't think it's a surprise. He's 19 and this is his first full season of minor league ball. The most games he's ever played in a season. With some struggles at Potomac, no way they push him against better talent for even more games this year.

He'll definitely start at Potomac next year. No reason to push him back down to Hagerstown, when they didn't even do it this year while he struggled. I think we'll see him at least get a taste of the AFL next year on a taxi squad, if not a full blown invite.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #24: September 02, 2016, 07:02:27 PM »
I don't think it's a surprise. He's 19 and this is his first full season of minor league ball. The most games he's ever played in a season. With some struggles at Potomac, no way they push him against better talent for even more games this year.

Yeah, very true. I just think it's interesting that Stevenson is the top prospect they are sending, when other teams do send top talent. As mentioned by others, that's not really the Nats way though. Instructionals are probably more important to them.