Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 10754 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #175: October 08, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
What's an app?

have you installed it yet? I usually wait a bit and see what others think.

I haven't.  We're still running some work apps that are 32-bit.

Offline imref

« Reply #176: October 10, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
just installed Catalina on my MacBook Pro and tried to use Sidecar to connect it to my iPad.  Sidecar allows you extend your Mac desktop to the iPad.  Alas, I've entered the world of DCFan, Sidecar isn't supported on my 5th generation iPad.  It only works on newer models that support Apple Pencil.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #177: October 11, 2019, 07:49:06 AM »
just installed Catalina on my MacBook Pro and tried to use Sidecar to connect it to my iPad.  Sidecar allows you extend your Mac desktop to the iPad.  Alas, I've entered the world of DCFan, Sidecar isn't supported on my 5th generation iPad.  It only works on newer models that support Apple Pencil.

Welcome to the world of the obsolete and outdated. :)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #178: October 15, 2019, 07:18:20 PM »
13.1.3 is ready to install.

Offline imref

« Reply #179: October 15, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »
just updated Catalina as well.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Rotten Apple
« Reply #180: November 09, 2019, 10:49:48 AM »
Has anyone been comparing the different Apple IPhone models ?   We are looking at upgrades to old IPhone models and the array of choices are worse than trying to buy new furniture or a new car.

One factor is it appears Apple is going to comple touch screen instead of a home button at the bottom.
Another factor is increased memory for what seems like a better picture or video taking ability.

Has anyone else looked the the difference between IPhone 11, IPhone 11 Pro, IPhone XR, IPhone X, or IPhone 8 ?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Rotten Apple
« Reply #181: November 09, 2019, 11:16:37 AM »
Has anyone been comparing the different Apple IPhone models ?   We are looking at upgrades to old IPhone models and the array of choices are worse than trying to buy new furniture or a new car.

Another option is to buy from Amazon or Costco where you could buy new, older model iPhones. You are not limited to buying the latest and greatest model. I think even Verizon offers older models for sale.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #182: November 09, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »
The on/off button was never at the bottom on the iPhone. It's always been at the top or on the right side. Are you perhaps thinking of the home button (the round button below the screen on older models)? I have an iPhone X and I got used to not having a home button after about two days. You just swipe up from the bottom instead. When I help my wife with her phone I find that button annoying. I like having the whole front of the phone taken up by the screen because you get a bigger display without having to get a bigger phone. The iPhone X is about as big a phone as I'd want because anything larger feels too big for one-handed operation and doesn't fit well in my pockets.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #183: November 09, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
Sorry - you're right, I meant the Home Button

The on/off button was never at the bottom on the iPhone. It's always been at the top or on the right side. Are you perhaps thinking of the home button (the round button below the screen on older models)? I have an iPhone X and I got used to not having a home button after about two days. You just swipe up from the bottom instead. When I help my wife with her phone I find that button annoying. I like having the whole front of the phone taken up by the screen because you get a bigger display without having to get a bigger phone. The iPhone X is about as big a phone as I'd want because anything larger feels too big for one-handed operation and doesn't fit well in my pockets.

Offline imref

« Reply #184: November 09, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »
I switched from a seven to a xr and haven’t missed the home button.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #185: November 09, 2019, 11:47:49 AM »
I switched from a seven to a xr and haven’t missed the home button.
I switched from a 5 to an X. Just took a week or so to adjust.  The most annoying thing is not being able to use the headphones while charging. I believe they charge an arm and a leg for the Bluetooth  earphones. Son just upgraded to an 11 Pro. For the camera. No feedback yet.

Offline imref

« Reply #186: November 09, 2019, 12:38:56 PM »
I switched from a 5 to an X. Just took a week or so to adjust.  The most annoying thing is not being able to use the headphones while charging. I believe they charge an arm and a leg for the Bluetooth  earphones. Son just upgraded to an 11 Pro. For the camera. No feedback yet.

Anker makes low cost decent quality BT headphones. I don’t miss the cord.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #187: November 09, 2019, 12:41:27 PM »
Anker makes low cost decent quality BT headphones. I don’t miss the cord.
I will pass that on to my son. I can live without them.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #188: November 09, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »

I have one and the camera is great, but if you’re not in the Apple ecosystem, the Pixel 3’s camera seems pretty comparable. As stupid as they look (and I do feel like an idiot using them), the AirPods are really good (I listen to podcasts and audiobooks- so no comment on the sound quality) - they pair flawlessly and the phone instantly recognizes them every time - I had a pair of ankers and the time it took to pair each time was annoying

Offline dracnal

« Reply #189: November 09, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »
I have one and the camera is great, but if you’re not in the Apple ecosystem, the Pixel 3’s camera seems pretty comparable. As stupid as they look (and I do feel like an idiot using them), the AirPods are really good (I listen to podcasts and audiobooks- so no comment on the sound quality) - they pair flawlessly and the phone instantly recognizes them every time - I had a pair of ankers and the time it took to pair each time was annoying

I have heard consistently good reviews from tech saavy friends on the Pixels. They universally love them.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #190: December 30, 2019, 08:25:05 AM »

One factor is it appears Apple is going to comple touch screen instead of a home button at the bottom.
Another factor is increased memory for what seems like a better picture or video taking ability.

Has anyone else looked the the difference between IPhone 11, IPhone 11 Pro, IPhone XR, IPhone X, or IPhone 8 ?

I just bought a CPO iPhone 7 128gb in "great condition" from Verizon.  $233.19 with taxes and activation fee.

Offline imref

« Reply #191: December 30, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
I bought an XR earlier this year and so far love it, especially the battery life.  But....the back is made of glass and I shattered it a couple of weeks ago even though I've got an otter box clear silicone case on it.  The glass is still intact, and the cost of replacing it is $399 (it's not a DIY job).  So, I'm going to just let it be until it's time for a replacement.  I'm guessing there won't be much of a trade-in value but I'm now getting $20 a month from Verizon toward the cost of a new device.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #192: December 30, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
I bought an XR earlier this year and so far love it, especially the battery life.  But....the back is made of glass and I shattered it a couple of weeks ago even though I've got an otter box clear silicone case on it.  The glass is still intact, and the cost of replacing it is $399 (it's not a DIY job).  So, I'm going to just let it be until it's time for a replacement.  I'm guessing there won't be much of a trade-in value but I'm now getting $20 a month from Verizon toward the cost of a new device.

I have apple care plus I use apple branded cases- I figure of anything goes wrong, either under warranty or a defective case, also under warranty- either way, it's apple.  I've gotten one drop on my x repared with no copay that way (I did have to escalate but it worked)

Offline imref

« Reply #193: December 30, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
I have apple care plus I use apple branded cases- I figure of anything goes wrong, either under warranty or a defective case, also under warranty- either way, it's apple.  I've gotten one drop on my x repared with no copay that way (I did have to escalate but it worked)

I looked at Apple Care, but for the Xr AppleCare+ was $149 with a $99 deductible for accidental damage.  Since this is the first ever of any of our family's phones that has ever been damaged, I figure I'm still way ahead given we've gone through at least 10 phones in the last seven years.  My family are still using their 7s and have no complaints, though they all required a battery replacement after three years. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #194: January 17, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
Costco has iPads on sale so I treated myself to a new one. 7th gen 10.2 inch. Nice step up from the mini.

Offline imref

« Reply #195: January 17, 2020, 05:39:08 PM »
Costco has iPads on sale so I treated myself to a new one. 7th gen 10.2 inch. Nice step up from the mini.

Apple announced yesterday that the 7th gen 10.2 iPad is now obsolete.

:poke:

Just kidding

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #196: January 17, 2020, 05:40:59 PM »
Apple announced yesterday that the 7th gen 10.2 iPad is now obsolete.

:poke:

Just kidding

That was good. I gasped on that. :crackup:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #197: January 17, 2020, 05:42:58 PM »
That was good. I gasped on that. :crackup:
It’s ok. You’re on Medicare.

Offline imref

« Reply #198: January 17, 2020, 05:46:25 PM »