Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 10581 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

If you don't want to prop your Pro Display XDR up against a pile of books you have two options -- both will cost you more money. There's the Pro Stand which costs $999, the same cost as the last external display Apple sold -- which by the way came with a stand.
https://www.cnet.com/news/mac-pros-crazy-expensive-pro-display-xdr-doesnt-even-come-with-a-stand/

$999 for a stand :lmao:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Android issue...

I have Sprint and have been getting misc. pop-up ads on the phone for about a month.  Yesterday it started sending ads when I wake it up...with audio.  LOUD audio!

Any ideas as to what may be going on and how to stop it?

Offline dracnal

Android issue...

I have Sprint and have been getting misc. pop-up ads on the phone for about a month.  Yesterday it started sending ads when I wake it up...with audio.  LOUD audio!

Any ideas as to what may be going on and how to stop it?

Sounds like one of the apps you've got managed to install some unwanted adware. Go through the list of apps on the phone looking for ones you don't recognize and remove them. I don't think you can sort them by install/update date unfortunately, so you'll likely need to go through the whole list. If that still doesn't do it, it's probably worth a trip to the Sprint store to see if one of their bored sales people can figure it out.

And btw, that sounds miserable. Sorry to hear it happened.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Thanks...I'll browse the Apps...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Thanks...I'll browse the Apps...

Get an iPhone. I have a 6s and it works like a champ. You don't have to spend a $1k on an X because there are plenty of older models in circulation.

Offline HalfSmokes

Get an iPhone. I have a 6s and it works like a champ. You don't have to spend a $1k on an X because there are plenty of older models in circulation.

This, as annoying as it is that you can change the default email app or calendar, having a locked down os prevents crap like this

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Thanks a lot...that's like telling me I should become a Patriots fan if I want any hope of winning another Super Bowl...

Offline dracnal

Thanks a lot...that's like telling me I should become a Patriots fan if I want any hope of winning another Super Bowl...

To be fair, it would increase your odds significantly....

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread) (2016 and beyond)
« Reply #133: September 19, 2019, 02:57:50 PM »
iOS 13 is out.  I installed it without any issues on my XR.  So far the only noticeable changes are to the keyboard and to Maps.  Another big feature is Dark Mode.  I don't get Dark Mode.  It seems tougher on my 50-year old eyes than light mode.  Anyone prefer dark mode?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #134: September 19, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
To me dark mode is easier on the eyes- it’s one of the features that I always like about android

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #135: September 19, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
iOS 13 is out.  I installed it without any issues on my XR.  So far the only noticeable changes are to the keyboard and to Maps.  Another big feature is Dark Mode.  I don't get Dark Mode.  It seems tougher on my 50-year old eyes than light mode.  Anyone prefer dark mode?

I went with light.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136: September 19, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
Dark mode is great at night. less jarring to your eyes and less bright light so you can wind down for sleep. It also is good for not waking your partner if you read in bed.

I got the 11 pro and it's coming tomorrow. I am very excited about the camera. The night mode looks nothing short of amazing in the pics it takes in almost darkness. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #137: September 19, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »

I'm going to wait a week to download iOS 13 so the inevitable bugs can shake out first, but I think I'll likely go with dark mode. I find the white background seems to cause more eyestrain unless I'm wearing my blue-light-filtering glasses. Alternatively, I might try turning on the night shift feature for more hours than I currently do.

I'm not going to get a new phone (I have an iPhone X and see no reason to replace it), but I'll probably get a new iPad at some point. Mine is seven years old and the most recent iOS it runs is 10.3.4, meaning some apps no longer update and the device feels like it's considerably slower than it used to be.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138: September 19, 2019, 03:42:20 PM »
I'm going to wait a week to download iOS 13 so the inevitable bugs can shake out first, but I think I'll likely go with dark mode. I find the white background seems to cause more eyestrain unless I'm wearing my blue-light-filtering glasses. Alternatively, I might try turning on the night shift feature for more hours than I currently do.

I'm not going to get a new phone (I have an iPhone X and see no reason to replace it), but I'll probably get a new iPad at some point. Mine is seven years old and the most recent iOS it runs is 10.3.4, meaning some apps no longer update and the device feels like it's considerably slower than it used to be.

If you're going to wait, wait 10 days for them to release iOS 13.1. That one is already in beta and will take care of the kinks that is in the first version. They have already announced when they were releasing 13.1 before the original version was released, which they have never done before. I would skip 13.0 altogether. It's buggy.

Offline imref

« Reply #139: September 19, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »
i usually wait until the .1 release but felt like being adventurous this time. :)  So far no issues, except they added a "Shortcuts" , and that pushed all my other icons over one spot, so now my ridiculously anal positioning of app icons is all screwed up.  Took a few seconds to fix, but still. 

I tried dark mode, just can't get used to it.  Back to light.

Offline imref

Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #140: September 19, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »
13.1 now due to drop on 9/24

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #141: September 19, 2019, 08:03:26 PM »

Also when iPads get the update.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142: September 19, 2019, 08:04:23 PM »

Must have been quite buggy indeed.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143: September 23, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »
So I got the new phone and it’s overall a solid upgrade. The battery life is legit. It was able to last a whole day of traveling for me (which includes watching constant videos on the plane, music streaming or calls while in airports, etc...).  I normally can’t last the day without needing a top off. I was at 25 percent when I got home.

I’m still playing with the camera, but first impression of the night mode is that it’s incredible.

Here is a picture of my wife’s car with normal setting:

Here is same picture using the flash:

And here it is with night mode (no flash):

I like it better than the Android version of this because you can still tell it’s night from the picture. Instead of it just being over saturated.

This will totally change what pictures I can pull off.

Offline imref

« Reply #144: September 25, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
13.1 is out, as well as the iPad version

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #145: September 25, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »
13.1 is out, as well as the iPad version

My iPad isn’t grabbing it. Hmmhhhh.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #146: September 25, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »

Both of our iPads and the iPhone 6 we use as the shared/home phone were obsoleted on this update :(

Offline imref

« Reply #147: September 25, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »

I went into settings / general and forced an update from there.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #148: September 25, 2019, 08:02:58 PM »
I went into settings / general and forced an update from there.

Nothing happens.

Offline imref

« Reply #149: September 25, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »
Nothing happens.

you need to be on Wi-Fi, and plugged in IIRC