Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 10568 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

As an iPhone user it does annoy me- and they only started doing it after they created their own crappy competitor

Online 1995hoo

Today's decision doesn't go to the merits of the plaintiffs' case. It just means the lawsuit can go forward beyond the pleadings stage. Apple had moved to dismiss, I assume under Rule 12(b)(6), and the District Court granted that motion on the ground that the plaintiffs were indirect purchasers who can't sue under antitrust law. The Ninth Circuit reversed that decision and the Supreme Court now affirmed the Ninth Circuit's decision. It means the case will be remanded for discovery and trial, although the odds are it'll settle before it ever gets that far. All the Supreme Court held is that the lawsuit may proceed. Trying to quantify damages, if it ever gets that far, is likely to be brutally difficult and expensive (it'll be a battle of expert witnesses), which is all the more reason why these things usually settle.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I’ll never buy another Mac unless something drastic changes, but I still think iPhone are just easier than android, and I’m past the point where customizing a phone is fun

I have an iPhone but I’ve pretty much stripped it down to nothing but a way to text people when I’m not at a terminal and a quick way to share pictures. Once our new Volvo with a WiFi hotspot is delivered I won’t need either of those so I’m going to drop the “smart” phone altogether.

Will be a while before I phase out all of my Apple related hardware since I use a PowerMac for all of my recording and MacBook Pros for Serato and DJing but someday soon they’ll be replaced by no name super fast hardware running Ubuntu.

Offline HalfSmokes

Today's decision doesn't go to the merits of the plaintiffs' case. It just means the lawsuit can go forward beyond the pleadings stage. Apple had moved to dismiss, I assume under Rule 12(b)(6), and the District Court granted that motion on the ground that the plaintiffs were indirect purchasers who can't sue under antitrust law. The Ninth Circuit reversed that decision and the Supreme Court now affirmed the Ninth Circuit's decision. It means the case will be remanded for discovery and trial, although the odds are it'll settle before it ever gets that far. All the Supreme Court held is that the lawsuit may proceed. Trying to quantify damages, if it ever gets that far, is likely to be brutally difficult and expensive (it'll be a battle of expert witnesses), which is all the more reason why these things usually settle.

Certification is usually the highest hurdle to a class action. Settlement will be hard because Apple will want to bar future suits, but convincing a judge to cover future consumers using unreleased products could be tough

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I’ll never buy another Mac unless something drastic changes, but I still think iPhone are just easier than android, and I’m past the point where customizing a phone is fun

Idk, between work and personal I've gone through Lenovo, Dell, and MS Surface since my last MBP. The quality just isn't there, 3 years on average, with a lot of issues. Currently trying to decide between a Surface Laptop and MBA.

Tony enjoy your awful Android phones, same comment. The hardware quality just doesn't hold up. I did like going Nexus and OnePlus for a bit, but you have to sacrifice quality cameras which is hard for me with kids.

Offline HalfSmokes

I have a surface book, and couldn’t be happier with the build quality- it’s the first windows computer I’ve had where I would say the the build is comparable to apple

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Idk, between work and personal I've gone through Lenovo, Dell, and MS Surface since my last MBP. The quality just isn't there, 3 years on average, with a lot of issues. Currently trying to decide between a Surface Laptop and MBA.

Tony enjoy your awful Android phones, same comment. The hardware quality just doesn't hold up. I did like going Nexus and OnePlus for a bit, but you have to sacrifice quality cameras which is hard for me with kids.

I have a two year old MB Pro that is heading in for its second keyboard replacement, but otherwise has been fine.  I also have a seven year old MB Air that has had no issues save for needing a battery after about three years.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I think the place where Apple has clear superiority is in the tablet market. The iPad is far better than the android equivalents. I’ve tried the Samsung and Amazon variants and they don’t work nearly as well as the iPad. It’s not even close. I like the iPhone as well because it’s so easy. But the iPad is where Apple shines.

Offline HalfSmokes

Amazon does have the oasis- the first device I actually prefer to a real book

Online 1995hoo

Amazon does have the oasis- the first device I actually prefer to a real book

I've had a non-backlit Kindle (I think they now call it the "Kindle Keyboard" because it has a keyboard below the screen) since 2010, when my parents gave it to me for Christmas (gave my wife one as well). It's still running strong and I use it daily on the Metro except during weeks when I'm off work (like this week). For reading, the Kindle devices with the "e-ink" displays are outstanding, much better for your eyes than "tablets" like the Kindle Fire or the iPad or whatever. But if the book has a lot of graphics or illustrations or the like, the monochrome Kindle display isn't ideal and doesn't allow for easy zooming. I have the Kindle app installed on my iPhone and iPad and I downloaded the Song of Ice and Fire companion book (The World of Ice and Fire, a purported "in-world viewpoint" history of Westeros) to the iPad app instead of to my regular Kindle because there's so much artwork. Good choice for that book, though the text is definitely smaller.

A lot of the books I read are several hundred pages or more (current one I'm reading is about 737 pages), so carrying the Kindle is a lot more convenient than carrying the full-size book. It's nice to be able to sync it to the app, too, so that if I go somewhere I might have to wait around but I don't want to carry my Kindle (say, I go to the airport to pick up my wife) I can still read my book. The man in front of us at Caps games is always reading via the Kindle app on his phone during intermission.

Regarding Apple versus others, we have an older generation Apple TV we were given one Christmas, and we also have a Fire TV Cube and two Fire TV Sticks. Just got a new TV downstairs and I'm thinking I may put an Apple TV 4K down there (we are thinking about dropping DirecTV in favor of Vue later this summer even though it means no more Nats games—we'd save $80 a month!). The Fire devices are nice and voice-control is useful, but their app store is quite clunky (insofar as I can tell, it doesn't allow searching) and there seem to be fewer apps than what the Apple TV has from what I can tell via research (ours doesn't support downloading TV apps).

Offline HalfSmokes

Apple TV has Zwift, so that’s my go to - all of the boxes seem comparable- we have a mix of apple and amazon. Our fire stick is laggy, but for the price, that’s expected

Online 1995hoo

I'm keeping my eye on Apple's website to see if there are any refurbished Apple TV 4K units any time soon. Only a $20 discount or so compared to new, but the car needed brake pads and rotors yesterday, plus a new front right brake caliper.  :hang:

Offline HalfSmokes

I was skeptical about 4K- but it seems like as big a leap as sd to hd now that I have it

Offline Natsinpwc

I was skeptical about 4K- but it seems like as big a leap as sd to hd now that I have it
But the TV has to be 4K ready?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
But the TV has to be 4K ready?

And the programs have to be broadcast in 4K...now sure how many are...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I think the place where Apple has clear superiority is in the tablet market. The iPad is far better than the android equivalents. I’ve tried the Samsung and Amazon variants and they don’t work nearly as well as the iPad. It’s not even close. I like the iPhone as well because it’s so easy. But the iPad is where Apple shines.

Love my iPad.

Online 1995hoo

I agree with this, although the only 4K content I've seen at home is via YouTube on the new TV or video I've filmed on my iPhone. (Downside of the latter: files too big to e-mail!) Of course, we've only had the TV since May 3. DirecTV supposedly has some 4K programming, but I believe the boxes we have are not compatible. I have to wonder how close it really is to 4K anyway, as I assume they must compress the heck out of the broadcast to beam it to the satellites and back down. It sure seems like streaming 4K, assuming your ISP doesn't impose any data limits, is probably the way to go.

I'd love to watch the Masters in 4K. Hopefully by next year I'll be able to do so.

Offline imref

Amazon Prime has a bunch of 4K content, The Grand Tour looks especially good.

Online 1995hoo

Amazon Prime has a bunch of 4K content, The Grand Tour looks especially good.

Can you watch any of that stuff without a Prime membership? We aren't Prime members. I asked my parents about Prime Video because they're members and they said they haven't watched any of it. I might like to sample some of it to see whether it's something we'd use. (The shipping discount isn't enough to motivate us to subscribe because we don't order that frequently and when we do, stuff usually comes quickly enough anyway.)

Right now Ms1995hoo is the biggest user of our Fire Sticks because she watches a lot of British programming via Acorn TV and a lot of PBS Passport.

Offline imref

Can you watch any of that stuff without a Prime membership? We aren't Prime members. I asked my parents about Prime Video because they're members and they said they haven't watched any of it. I might like to sample some of it to see whether it's something we'd use. (The shipping discount isn't enough to motivate us to subscribe because we don't order that frequently and when we do, stuff usually comes quickly enough anyway.)

Right now Ms1995hoo is the biggest user of our Fire Sticks because she watches a lot of British programming via Acorn TV and a lot of PBS Passport.

I don't know if you can rent 4K movies, but the shows are only available to prime customers.  Outside of the GT I haven't found anything else to watch.

Offline HalfSmokes

And the programs have to be broadcast in 4K...now sure how many are...

A lot of streaming content is, amazo

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Netflix has lots of 4K content. Check out Chef’s table in 4K. It’s pretty amazing. Amazon has a lot as well.

Offline Natsinpwc

Love my iPad.
Love my MacBook. Have had for about 5 years now with no issues. Someday will get an iPad. Wouldnt use it much now.

Offline imref

Love my MacBook. Have had for about 5 years now with no issues. Someday will get an iPad. Wouldnt use it much now.

I have both.  I use the iPad for watching movies on planes, and when I'm on vacation and don't feel like taking a laptop.  Otherwise it collects dust.

Offline Natsinpwc

I have both.  I use the iPad for watching movies on planes, and when I'm on vacation and don't feel like taking a laptop.  Otherwise it collects dust.
We are at daughters house much of the time. They have assorted tablets including iPads. The phone seems adequate for most vacations for me. I’m nervous enough about losing the phone without having a tablet to worry about when away from home.