Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 10752 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread) (2016 and beyond)
« Reply #75: September 12, 2018, 11:58:16 PM »
I have a two year old seven and it meets my needs. I’ll only get a new one if there’s a really good trade in deal.

Offline imref

« Reply #76: October 16, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
for those of you using Mojave with a non-retina display, you may have noticed that fonts in Chrome and Safari look awful.  Here's a fix:

https://www.howtogeek.com/358596/how-to-fix-blurry-fonts-on-macos-mojave-with-subpixel-antialiasing/

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #77: October 17, 2018, 08:58:15 AM »
I have a two year old seven and it meets my needs. I’ll only get a new one if there’s a really good trade in deal.

I have an 8 and don't plan to upgrade if this phone kaputs.

I don't like the facial recognition software for the 10 and will likely jump to Android phone next.

Plus, there's more flexibility with Android software, i.e. I can install my own OS.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #78: October 19, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
I have an 8 and don't plan to upgrade if this phone kaputs.

If I win either of the jackpots this weekend I’ll upgrade my 6s. Chances are I’ll still have my 6s next weekend. ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #79: October 19, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »
I caved and got a x to finally replace my old phone - I was skeptical, but the thing is fast as hell (at least until they push a few Os updates and gimp it)

Offline imref

« Reply #80: October 19, 2018, 10:16:20 PM »
We have four 7s now.  The kids are itching for upgrades.  Verizon is running a buy one get one free deal, assuming I could trade the 7s in for the full $300 credit, it would end up costing about $1,000 for the XRs ($799-300).  I can't justify that.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #82: March 09, 2019, 02:59:40 PM »
I generally leave my 6s in my car at work since they’re not allowed inside. But when it gets really cold I’ll bring it in and put it in a phone locker. Except I didn’t bring it in when we had that cold spell earlier this week. So my battery got zapped and no longer holds a charge. So I had to make a trip to  the Apple store at Fair Oaks mall this morning and fork over $49 for a battery replacement. While there I was really looking at the sign advertising the Xr for $449.

Offline imref

« Reply #83: March 09, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
I really like my XR. When I bought Best Buy had the lowest price.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #84: March 09, 2019, 06:03:02 PM »
I have an x and really like it - I plN on keeping it until 5g is ubiquitous

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #85: March 10, 2019, 09:07:58 AM »
I really like my XR. When I bought Best Buy had the lowest price.

I was really intrigued with that $449 price so I went to the Best Buy and Costco websites to see what kind of deals they were offering. They were both considerably higher so I went to the Apple website to see what's what. Turns out there was the dreaded asterisk next to the $449. That price is contingent on trading in an 8 and there is a sliding scale for lesser model iPhones.  The price for trading in a 6s was $549 which is still considerably better than Best Buy and Costco. But I really like the 6s especially with the new battery. :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #86: March 10, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »
I was really intrigued with that $449 price so I went to the Best Buy and Costco websites to see what kind of deals they were offering. They were both considerably higher so I went to the Apple website to see what's what. Turns out there was the dreaded asterisk next to the $449. That price is contingent on trading in an 8 and there is a sliding scale for lesser model iPhones.  The price for trading in a 6s was $549 which is still considerably better than Best Buy and Costco. But I really like the 6s especially with the new battery. :)
I have an iPhone X. What’s the Xr do versus the base model?  In any event I will likely hold onto it for a while.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #87: March 10, 2019, 09:25:59 AM »
I have an iPhone X. What’s the Xr do versus the base model?  In any event I will likely hold onto it for a while.

It’s a step down from the x/xs- worse screen and battery are the big differences

Offline imref

« Reply #88: March 10, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »
yeah, the X has a better screen and camera, the XR is very very slightly faster and comes in a variety of colors.  It's not an upgrade from the X.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #89: March 10, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
Thanks.

Offline imref

USSC just voted 5-4 to allow consumers to sue Apple on anti-trust grounds over Apple's restricting of iPhone apps to only those available via their App Store. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
USSC just voted 5-4 to allow consumers to sue Apple on anti-trust grounds over Apple's restricting of iPhone apps to only those available via their App Store. 

At this point they can just break up and kill off the App Store as it's own vertical.  I used to spend a lot of money on Apple products but I'm done with them now.  Buying direct from the Japs wholesale saves me from having to deal with their stupidity and bullcrap.

Offline Natsinpwc

I can’t wait until the class action suit and getting like 36 cents ten years from now.

Offline HalfSmokes

I can’t wait until the class action suit and getting like 36 cents ten years from now.

Either they have to allow competitors to establish app stores or they have to fight and hope they win, otherwise, this will just be a recurring issue with a new class for every new Ios product. Personally, I’d like to be able to buy a book in the kindle app or a video in the Amazon app

Offline imref

Either they have to allow competitors to establish app stores or they have to fight and hope they win, otherwise, this will just be a recurring issue with a new class for every new Ios product. Personally, I’d like to be able to buy a book in the kindle app or a video in the Amazon app

you can do that already on an iPhone.   What you can't do is download an app from outside of the App Store, but in-app purchases have been around for a while now.

Offline HalfSmokes

At this point they can just break up and kill off the App Store as it's own vertical.  I used to spend a lot of money on Apple products but I'm done with them now.  Buying direct from the Japs wholesale saves me from having to deal with their stupidity and bullcrap.

I’ll never buy another Mac unless something drastic changes, but I still think iPhone are just easier than android, and I’m past the point where customizing a phone is fun

Offline HalfSmokes

you can do that already on an iPhone.   What you can't do is download an app from outside of the App Store, but in-app purchases have been around for a while now.

Go to the kindle app and buy a book and see how that goes for you

Offline imref

Go to the kindle app and buy a book and see how that goes for you

Ah ok. I see what you mean. I assume amazon doesn’t want to pay apple a royalty so they don’t support in app purchases .  Today’s decision could allow amazon to make the app available through their own App Store and sell without paying Apple.

Offline HalfSmokes

Or just put a store in their app without giving apple 30% of sales

Offline imref

Or just put a store in their app without giving apple 30% of sales

Yep.