Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 10580 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread) (2016 and beyond)
« Reply #50: September 16, 2016, 11:10:18 PM »
Just got the Iphone 7 and transitioned from 5C with no issues. Will report more later but the biggest surprise for me is that it comes with earphones that connect straight to the Lightning port. Yes, they plug right in. So yo don't have to use bluetooth earphones if you don't want.

It also came with a two-inch adapter for your older earphones that will allow you to plug into the Lightning port. And the sound and screen is fierce, especially coming from a 5C.

Congrats.  where did you get it?  What provider?  I pre-ordered from Verizon last week, ship date estimate is 9/30

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #51: September 17, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
Anyone update to iOS 10 yet? I'm interested to know if it's the inevitable update that will make my phone painfully slow, or if it's the next one.

I didn't have time this week and am doing it now via wired connection (usually seems faster that way). I was interested to note it downloaded iOS 10.0.1. Does that little ".1" suffix mean there's already been some sort of patch release?

iPad comes next later today. The one that I think will be the real adjustment will be the Apple Watch update. After nine months with that device I still feel like I don't necessarily have all the nuances of the old watchOS down pat yet.

Edited to add: No problems at all with the phone update (I did, of course, back up first just in case). iPad and watch are updating now. The watch gets the update through the phone via Bluetooth and it says it has one hour remaining.

Offline whytev

« Reply #52: September 17, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »
I didn't have time this week and am doing it now via wired connection (usually seems faster that way). I was interested to note it downloaded iOS 10.0.1. Does that little ".1" suffix mean there's already been some sort of patch release?

iPad comes next later today. The one that I think will be the real adjustment will be the Apple Watch update. After nine months with that device I still feel like I don't necessarily have all the nuances of the old watchOS down pat yet.

Edited to add: No problems at all with the phone update (I did, of course, back up first just in case). iPad and watch are updating now. The watch gets the update through the phone via Bluetooth and it says it has one hour remaining.

What phone do you have?

I know I sound 75 years old, but I can't think of any reason to have that watch that isn't athletic. Like if I were a runner I would want one, but I have no desire to text my friends with no keyboard. What do you use yours for?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #53: September 17, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
I have an iPhone 6, got it back when it was released (2014? I think so but I've lost track) because Verizon had a promo at the time where you could trade in an iPhone 4 (which I had then) and get $200 for it via a Verizon Wireless gift card. Since all the other outlets were offering $35 for that phone at the time, I figured it made sense to get the $200. I used it to pay the phone bill for the next few months.

Ms1995hoo gave me the Apple Watch last Christmas. It's very nice at the office for discreetly reading personal e-mail since using your phone at your desk for anything other than listening to music or podcasts is very much frowned upon at my office (we all do it, but doing it more than every once in a while is a good way to land in hot water). I use it frequently for that purpose, although I do not usually respond using the watch because I'm not going to sit there dictating an e-mail. I also do not have all my e-mail set to show up on the watch because that would get distracting—I set it so only the "VIP" accounts (family and our Caps ticket-share group) ding the watch.

The exercise tracker has actually proven pretty beneficial to me—I've lost seven pounds this year. I had lost more but I've gained some of it back in July and August due to the combination of driving to work and parking closer than I used to park due to the hot weather and my wife's office relocating closer to mine. The thing about the movement tracker is that I find I'm better about getting out and getting some exercise, even just going for a good walk, if I have something giving me a concrete goal and tracking what I do. It's easy to say "I need to get more exercise." Having the thing tracking it for me helps. In terms of the text-messaging, the person I send text messages to most often is Ms1995hoo and the message is usually simply to tell her when I'm leaving work so she knows when to meet me at the Metro stop. For that purpose, the pre-programmed "On my way" message is ideal—very easy to use the watch just to send that as I walk to the elevator. I use the timers and the alarm features pretty regularly as well.

Sure, there are other devices that do the same things, but my wife gave me this one for Christmas. It's not essential by any means, but it is a nice little device. It's always fun at the grocery store to use it to pay if there's an old lady waiting on line behind me. Invariably she's baffled when I just hold my wrist next to the credit-card reader for a second or two. (Interestingly, the Coke machine at the office accepts Apple Pay, so I use it there because it tends to eat dollar bills and not give you your soda, whereas if you pay with credit it's more reliable. But our office is moving next week, so that may soon become irrelevant.)

Offline whytev

« Reply #54: September 17, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »
I have an iPhone 6, got it back when it was released (2014? I think so but I've lost track) because Verizon had a promo at the time where you could trade in an iPhone 4 (which I had then) and get $200 for it via a Verizon Wireless gift card. Since all the other outlets were offering $35 for that phone at the time, I figured it made sense to get the $200. I used it to pay the phone bill for the next few months.

Ms1995hoo gave me the Apple Watch last Christmas. It's very nice at the office for discreetly reading personal e-mail since using your phone at your desk for anything other than listening to music or podcasts is very much frowned upon at my office (we all do it, but doing it more than every once in a while is a good way to land in hot water). I use it frequently for that purpose, although I do not usually respond using the watch because I'm not going to sit there dictating an e-mail. I also do not have all my e-mail set to show up on the watch because that would get distracting—I set it so only the "VIP" accounts (family and our Caps ticket-share group) ding the watch.

The exercise tracker has actually proven pretty beneficial to me—I've lost seven pounds this year. I had lost more but I've gained some of it back in July and August due to the combination of driving to work and parking closer than I used to park due to the hot weather and my wife's office relocating closer to mine. The thing about the movement tracker is that I find I'm better about getting out and getting some exercise, even just going for a good walk, if I have something giving me a concrete goal and tracking what I do. It's easy to say "I need to get more exercise." Having the thing tracking it for me helps. In terms of the text-messaging, the person I send text messages to most often is Ms1995hoo and the message is usually simply to tell her when I'm leaving work so she knows when to meet me at the Metro stop. For that purpose, the pre-programmed "On my way" message is ideal—very easy to use the watch just to send that as I walk to the elevator. I use the timers and the alarm features pretty regularly as well.

Sure, there are other devices that do the same things, but my wife gave me this one for Christmas. It's not essential by any means, but it is a nice little device. It's always fun at the grocery store to use it to pay if there's an old lady waiting on line behind me. Invariably she's baffled when I just hold my wrist next to the credit-card reader for a second or two. (Interestingly, the Coke machine at the office accepts Apple Pay, so I use it there because it tends to eat dollar bills and not give you your soda, whereas if you pay with credit it's more reliable. But our office is moving next week, so that may soon become irrelevant.)

Sounds about right. You like it, but if it got stolen, you probably wouldn't run straight to the store to buy a new one.

Good for you on the weight loss. I dropped 8 myself, but then I bought a dog so now I think I have no choice but to get more exercise.

I have a 6s, so I guess it can handle the update if your 6 can. Thanks!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #55: September 17, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
One other thing that occurs to me is that the watch can be used to operate the iPhone camera. One obvious benefit of that is not having to buy one of those stupid stick things, and it also eliminates the need to use the self-timer or to hold your arm out like an idiot if you want to be in the photo. But a less-obvious benefit is that it makes it easier for me to use my iPhone to take pictures of our relatives' kids when we visit. The kids will normally make faces or not cooperate if they know I'm taking a picture. But with the watch, I just set my phone up somewhere and then I trigger the camera remotely when the kids may not be expecting it.

(In general I prefer my DSLR to the iPhone camera, of course, but it's way more obvious when dealing with kids!)

Online imref

« Reply #56: September 23, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »
Anyone noticing that the seven emits far more heat than the six or is it just me?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #57: September 23, 2016, 11:40:03 AM »
Isn't the apple mo to upgrade the outside and then let the internals catch up with the 's' cycle?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #58: September 29, 2016, 09:55:03 PM »
I got an e-mail from a legal industry mailing list that contained this pretty thorough analysis of Verizon's trade-in offer. I'm going to be out at Fair Oaks for a CLE tomorrow and I think I might at least go to the Verizon store to investigate. The point about never getting $650 again is a good point, but I've also considered upgrading and giving my current phone to Ms1995hoo.

Last year, I jumped into Verizon's Device Payment Program (formerly known as Edge) so that I could upgrade my personal iPhone every year without the hassle of selling my previous iPhone on eBay. It's like a car lease for people who want the latest and greatest though it's a much smaller monthly nut, there's no interest, and you get the new model every year instead of every 3-4 years. Also, unlike a car lease, changing your mind mid-lease is not a bad deal. You just pay off the iPhone interest free over 24 months instead of upgrading.

Long story short, I didn't pay much attention to the various deals out there because none applied to my personal 128 GB iPhone 6s on the Device Payment Program, and I planned to continue using my work 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus since it was paid off and rarely leaves my office.

But then my sister casually mentioned her nearly free 128 GB iPhone 7 that will cost her $4.16 per month for two years.

The carriers have some amazing deals on iPhones for those of you not on annual upgrade programs or who want to switch carriers. These deals end on September 30. Like me, I bet many of you in TechnoLawyer don't know about them.

Verizon

Verizon has the best deal by far. I couldn't believe it at first. If you upgrade to an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, and trade in your iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, or 6s Plus, Verizon will give you a $650 credit. An iPhone 5, 5s, 5c, and 5 SE gets you a $400 credit.

I've sold a lot of iPhones on eBay. Even if you have the highest end previous generation iPhone, you will never get anywhere close to $650 for it. This is an epic deal for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users and a good deal for 6s and 6s Plus users who want the new iPhone 7 or 7 Plus.

A perfect storm makes this deal even better. With the iPhone 7, Apple doubled the storage versus past years. This means the base model iPhone 7 that costs $650 comes with 32 GB, not 16 GB. If you can live with 32 GB, this means you get a free iPhone 7. If not, the 128 GB iPhone 7 will cost you just $100. If you're a Plus user, you'll pay $100 for the 32 GB iPhone 7 Plus or $200 for the 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus. Add another $100 to these prices if you need the 256 GB model.

There are two catches.

First, the iPhone you trade in needs to be in good condition. My sister's iPhone 6 has a cracked screen but this deal is so good that she's paying for a repair because the $650 credit from Verizon is significantly higher than the repair will cost.

Second, Verizon won't send you a check for $650. Instead, you'll receive a $27.08 credit every month for 24 months. However, you need not shell out $650-$950 for your new iPhone 7 or 7 Plus but can instead pay it monthly.

Sure it's always better to get cash up front but as I noted above, you will not get close to $650 on eBay and even less from the various trade-in websites. With interest rates so low, you won't make back the difference unless you know of an undervalued stock that's a sure thing — in which case please email me the ticker symbol!

Why not keep the iPhone you have? That's a perfectly good decision in most cases but not when Verizon is willing to give you such a remarkable deal.

Let's do some math using my situation. I'm no longer keeping my work 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus. I'm taking advantage of this deal and upgrading to a 128 GB iPhone 7 in matte black. This means I get a $650 credit on a $750 iPhone so I'll pay $100.

My monthly nut for the iPhone 7 will be $4.16 — just like my sister.1

What About the Other Carriers?

Don't ask me why traditionally stingy Verizon has the best deal but the other carriers have some good deals of their own though not quite as good:

Sprint: Sprint started this price war and looks on the surface like it offers the same deal as Verizon. However, it doesn't list the credit per iPhone model. This lack of transparency suggests that you'll get a $650 credit only for a 128 GB iPhone 6s Plus but it can't hurt to ask. Sprint is coy about when this deal will end, using the old "while supplies last" line.

T-Mobile: This deal is less generous than Verizon's but at least T-Mobile lists the credits. You'll receive $550 for an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus, $450 for an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, or $350 for an iPhone 5, 5s, 5c, or 5 SE. Except for the iPhone SE, these are better deals than what you would get on eBay. This deal ends on September 30.

AT&T: If you switch from another carrier to AT&T, you'll get a Visa card with up to $650 on it. However, AT&T doesn't list the credit per iPhone model. Also, while you get cash up front, existing AT&T customers cannot take advantage of this deal. It's unclear when this deal expires.

Apple: The iPhone maker has long accepted trade-ins and has an annual upgrade program of its own. While I would prefer to buy my iPhone from Apple instead of Verizon, Apple's annual upgrade program requires the purchase of insurance (Apple Care), which adds $5.37 per month to the cost of the iPhone. Also, Apple notoriously pays below market for trade-ins and doesn't have a deal like any of the above.

Today's Lunchtime Project?

As someone who has bought every iPhone except the iPhone 4, trust me when I say I've never seen a deal as good as Verizon's — and it ends on Friday. Sprint and T-Mobile might also have good deals though you'll need to investigate — perhaps a good use of your lunch break today.

1 As an aside, I'm also trading in my personal 128 GB iPhone 6s for a 128 GB iPhone 7 in jet black through Verizon's Device Payment program. No deal here but my monthly lease payment will decrease thanks to Apple's doubling of storage — my iPhone 6s cost $850 a year ago but my iPhone 7 with the same 128 GB of storage costs $750.

Online imref

« Reply #59: September 29, 2016, 10:12:22 PM »
Thanks for posting 1995.  I've had Verizon for about a week now, so far i haven't noticed any improvement as far as network coverage compared with Sprint.  I will say I've been impressed with their customer service (i had to call them quickly for a question about returning our old phones and i got through to a live, and helpful, human being in less than a minute).  The My Verizon app clearly shows bandwidth usage and allowed me to turn on 'safe' mode that prevents additional charges if we use up our 20 GB per month for our 14 phones (12 GB plus 2 GB bonus per phone).  The billing has been very straightforward as well.  I do need to call them tomorrow as we activated our 4th phone today (had to wait for a case to arrive as I didn't want my son carrying it to school without a case), and it still only shows 12 GB plus 6 GB in 'bonus' bandwidth.  We also all got 128 GB phones.   The old phones (two 6s and two 5s's go back to them tomorrow.  They provide return boxes with shipping labels, the process is pretty painless.

The only other real difference I've noticed is the HD voice when calling another Verizon phone, the quality is much improved compared to calling other phones or landlines.

I 'think' the Verizon trade in deal only applies if you order on-line, but you'll have to see what they say as you are an existing customer.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #60: September 30, 2016, 07:25:05 AM »

I 'think' the Verizon trade in deal only applies if you order on-line, but you'll have to see what they say as you are an existing customer.

I know that was the case last go-round (whenever the iPhone 6 was released), but it can't hurt to inquire since the mall is right across the street here!

Edited on Saturday morning to add: I tried to do this last night. Couldn't. Their website provided no option that I could find to sign up for monthly device payments. I had no interest in paying the full price of the iPhone 7 up front, so I said no thanks. Now they have an offer where they'll give you $550 for the trade, but you still have to do monthly device payments. Maybe I'll inquire at the Verizon store near home. Maybe not.

Online imref

Amazon video is FINALL coming to Apple TV, but probably not until 3Q

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/5/15552954/amazon-video-apple-tv-app-jeff-bezos-tim-cook

Online imref

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #63: September 12, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »
New iPhones were released today. Anyone getting one? I still have a 6.  :oldy:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #64: September 12, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »
I lost my iPhone 5 in the Pacific Ocean a few weeks ago so just got a x. It’s fine. Good for me cause I was out of storage before and the battery was almost gone.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #65: September 12, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
I lost my iPhone 5 in the Pacific Ocean a few weeks ago so just got a x. It’s fine. Good for me cause I was out of storage before and the battery was almost gone.

Lost accidentally on purpose? :mg:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #66: September 12, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
I have an x- my wife and I are on three year cycles which seems to work

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: September 12, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
Lost accidentally on purpose? :mg:
It was an accident.  But was time. Was glad I didn’t lose a new one for sure. The saddest thing was it had a Philadelphia Eagles case. I hope someone found that and gave it the care it deserved.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68: September 12, 2018, 05:28:01 PM »
I have an X. I love it and the upgrade is meh. I can't decide if I want to upgrade to the huge XS Max or just sit on what I have. The coolest part of the new phone is honestly the snappier camera and the ability to change the depth of field after you take the picture.

I am definitely getting the Watch though. I sold my series 1 in anticipation. The speed bump and the bigger face did it for me.   

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #69: September 12, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »
I have a X and I feel no need to upgrade. I wouldn’t much want anything bigger than the X, either, as it fits well in my back pocket, front pocket, or shirt pocket, as needs dictate, and it fits perfectly in the car’s cupholder.

Doubt I’ll get the new Watch either. Mine is still working fine other than some days the battery seems to drain more quickly for no apparent reason.

I’d consider an iPad upgrade because mine dates to 2012 and is getting slower and can’t run iOS 11 (forget 12). If they introduce a version with Face ID I might go for that.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: September 12, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »
I have a X and I feel no need to upgrade. I wouldn’t much want anything bigger than the X, either, as it fits well in my back pocket, front pocket, or shirt pocket, as needs dictate, and it fits perfectly in the car’s cupholder.

Doubt I’ll get the new Watch either. Mine is still working fine other than some days the battery seems to drain more quickly for no apparent reason.

I’d consider an iPad upgrade because mine dates to 2012 and is getting slower and can’t run iOS 11 (forget 12). If they introduce a version with Face ID I might go for that.

Which watch do you have?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: September 12, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »
I stopped wearing watch years ago since my cell phone keeps the time. Why would I want to get an Apple Watch.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #72: September 12, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »
Which Watch do you have?

Beats me. Model A1554. Had it since Christmas 2015.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #73: September 12, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
Which watch do you have?

I'd get one but we can't wear those kind of watches at work.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #74: September 12, 2018, 07:49:17 PM »

I have the 8 plus and like it. Adjusting to the phone's size took some time, but I'm liking it. I will never, ever buy an X, mainly for the facial recognition nonsense. After this phone, I'll consider buying an Android.

Also, these new Xs go up to 6.5 inches? Who needs a phone that big? You might as well get an iPad.