Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 10747 times)

Offline dracnal

Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #250: December 08, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »
FWIW, we are not upgrading clients with Macs to Big Sur until June, 2021. Apple's track record with usability, security, overall QoL isn't great until it's been around for a while. Now in total fairness, we'll usually wait for SP1 (or the annoyingly named Windows 10 equivalent) before unleashing new MS operating systems on our clients.

There are -always- early adopters who will -always- have short memories and four months down the line talk about the new thing in super glowing terms again. That's not platform specific. iOS, Windows and ChromeOS all have that going on, as well as Android's latest candyflavor of the month build, and iPhones.

Not saying you fit into that 2nd paragraph category, imref, but I'm definitely more comfortable with HS's timeline than I am with yours.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #251: December 08, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
I use Mac mini’s at home, the m1 seems meh. No external GPU support is a big miss

I recently bought an intel Mini. The two thunderbolt ports on the M1 is a real downgrade and for me probably a dealbreaker. I bought one knowing that I almost certainly wasn’t going to want the new silicon.

In general, the Mini is a great machine. But they went from a premium machine with the intel chip to an entry level one with the M1 chip.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #252: December 08, 2020, 05:04:10 PM »
I bought my MacBook Pro in 2014. It’s still running fine generally although the battery wears down quicker now of course. I don’t get notice of automatic updates anymore so haven’t updated the operating system in a while.  I assume that’s ok? 

I will probably wait a few years to get a new machine.  When do the M1 updated versions come out?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #253: December 08, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
I bought my MacBook Pro in 2014. It’s still running fine generally although the battery wears down quicker now of course. I don’t get notice of automatic updates anymore so haven’t updated the operating system in a while.  I assume that’s ok? 

I will probably wait a few years to get a new machine.  When do the M1 updated versions come out?

Avoid public WiFi hotspots or Guest networks. Not saying you'll be totally safe, but safer. As it stands, a six year old computer that's not fully patched on a public WiFi is like a kindergartner being offered free ice cream if he'll just climb in the back of the ice cream truck.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #254: December 08, 2020, 05:53:32 PM »
Avoid public WiFi hotspots or Guest networks. Not saying you'll be totally safe, but safer. As it stands, a six year old computer that's not fully patched on a public WiFi is like a kindergartner being offered free ice cream if he'll just climb in the back of the ice cream truck.
Thanks. Basically just use it at home so should be ok.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #255: December 08, 2020, 06:36:20 PM »
I use Mac mini’s at home, the m1 seems meh. No external GPU support is a big miss

I have a Mac mini that is essentially a brick now. 4 GB RAM and an actual hard disk instead of a SSD.

Online imref

« Reply #256: December 08, 2020, 06:37:43 PM »
FWIW, we are not upgrading clients with Macs to Big Sur until June, 2021. Apple's track record with usability, security, overall QoL isn't great until it's been around for a while. Now in total fairness, we'll usually wait for SP1 (or the annoyingly named Windows 10 equivalent) before unleashing new MS operating systems on our clients.

There are -always- early adopters who will -always- have short memories and four months down the line talk about the new thing in super glowing terms again. That's not platform specific. iOS, Windows and ChromeOS all have that going on, as well as Android's latest candyflavor of the month build, and iPhones.

Not saying you fit into that 2nd paragraph category, imref, but I'm definitely more comfortable with HS's timeline than I am with yours.

Normally I wait too, but I had to get a new laptop before the end of the year to replace my 2017 MBP and so I jumped at the chance to get an M1.

The 2017 MBP was on its third keyboard, and it needs to be replaced again.  The new MBPs have a much much better keyboard.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #257: December 09, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »
I'm still using the same, case, power supply, heatsink, and fans that I had 12 years ago.  modern board, CPU, m.2 SSDs, GPU, etc.

You can have my self-built when you pry it from my cold dead hands :lol:

But seriously - I am very interested to see where these new ARM chips take things.

Online imref

« Reply #258: December 17, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »
So the Apple M1 laptops have an issue with external monitors.  About 50% of the time, when you wake the laptop from sleep, it no longer sees that the external monitor is attached.  The only recourse is to unplug the HDMI or USB-C cable and plug it back in, which is a PITA if the monitor is plugged into a USB-C hub.  Argh...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #259: December 17, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
So the Apple M1 laptops have an issue with external monitors.  About 50% of the time, when you wake the laptop from sleep, it no longer sees that the external monitor is attached.  The only recourse is to unplug the HDMI or USB-C cable and plug it back in, which is a PITA if the monitor is plugged into a USB-C hub.  Argh...

once again proving the point that buying an apple product in the first year after a major redesign is a bad idea

Online imref

« Reply #260: December 17, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »
once again proving the point that buying an apple product in the first year after a major redesign is a bad idea

Yeah, this is annoying, but I'm enjoying the speed of the M1.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #261: December 17, 2020, 05:25:03 PM »

Would it be easier to disconnect the hub from the computer, instead of the monitor from the hub? I'm not sure how the form factor and your desk layout are arranged, but USB C stuff generally reconnects pretty fast.

Online imref

« Reply #262: December 17, 2020, 05:46:04 PM »
Would it be easier to disconnect the hub from the computer, instead of the monitor from the hub? I'm not sure how the form factor and your desk layout are arranged, but USB C stuff generally reconnects pretty fast.

The MBP has two USB-C ports. I have a hub plugged into one of them, plugged into the hub is my headset dongle, Time Machine external backup drive, and the monitor (via HDMI).

Unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI cable does nothing.  So I have to unplug the hub.  But, before doing that, I have to stop any active backup and unmount the USB external drive.  Very much a PITA.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #263: December 17, 2020, 05:54:06 PM »
The MBP has two USB-C ports. I have a hub plugged into one of them, plugged into the hub is my headset dongle, Time Machine external backup drive, and the monitor (via HDMI).

Unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI cable does nothing.  So I have to unplug the hub.  But, before doing that, I have to stop any active backup and unmount the USB external drive.  Very much a PITA.

Does the MBP have an HDMI port? If it does, try it for a few days to see if the problem persists that way. If it doesn't have an HDMI port, maybe pick up a cheap HDMI to USB-C adapter? Simplifying the setup is always a primary tool in troubleshooting.

If it doesn't have problems directly connected, then my guess is the hub is depowering the HDMI connection and the monitor is missing the signal that says 'wake up, you have juice.' Ruling the hub out would certainly help simplify stuff. Any time you're dealing with a powered hub, Windows, Mac, whatever, power saving mode can cause headaches.

Online imref

« Reply #264: January 18, 2021, 01:45:10 PM »
Apple's next MacBook Pro M1 iterations will come in 14" and 16", will get rid of the annoyingly awful Touch Bar, will bring back MagSafe, and will have more USB ports.  Amazingly, they seem to have listened to customer complaints.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #265: January 19, 2021, 10:05:54 AM »
This is interesting: iOS 14 lets you adjust a setting so that you can double- or triple-tap on the back of your iPhone to do various things. It's in the "Accessibility" menu in the Settings app.

https://www.creativebloq.com/news/apple-logo-iphone-tap

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #266: January 19, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »
will bring back MagSafe

They got rid of MagSafe?  How stupid do you have to be to make that call?  I'm an unabashed PC fanboy and even I'll admit that was one of the best things Apple ever came up with.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #267: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 AM »
They got rid of MagSafe?  How stupid do you have to be to make that call?  I'm an unabashed PC fanboy and even I'll admit that was one of the best things Apple ever came up with.

They moved to USB C to be more universal- the one decision they make in favor of standards is the stupidest one they could have chosen

Online imref

« Reply #268: January 19, 2021, 01:15:29 PM »
They moved to USB C to be more universal- the one decision they make in favor of standards is the stupidest one they could have chosen

Yep. I miss MagSafe.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #269: January 27, 2021, 08:43:36 PM »
14.4 do it quick says Apple.

Online imref

« Reply #270: January 27, 2021, 09:22:00 PM »
14.4 do it quick says Apple.

Installed this morning.