Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Jose Marmolejos  (Read 5944 times)

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Follow the Prospects: Jose Marmolejos
« Topic Start: August 05, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »
First baseman in Harrisburg. Turned 23 this year.

Just got them bump after posting a .286/.381/.495 line in Potomac. Posted a .310/.363/.485 line last season in Hagerstown.

Anyone know anything about him? I've seen him post good numbers last couple season but now he's in AA and has 6 hits in his first three games I'm starting to wonder if he's a legit prospect.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Follow the Prospects: Jose Marmolejos
« Reply #1: August 05, 2016, 02:30:38 PM »

Just got them bump after posting a .286/.381/.495 line in Potomac. Posted a .310/.363/.485 line last season in Hagerstown.

Anyone know anything about him? I've seen him post good numbers last couple season but now he's in AA and has 6 hits in his first three games I'm starting to wonder if he's a legit prospect.

I've seen him a few times in Potomac.  Nice lefty swing with good pull-side HR power and gap power the other way.  He didn't seem to chase bad pitches, which is good.  He's definitely nothing but a first baseman, although he's fine athletically there (I wasn't overly impressed with his actual technique in the field, but it wasn't awful either).  He's listed at 6'1"/185 but plays a bit bigger than that - he seems to have very long arms.  If he gets a little stronger, he could end up with a lot of power.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #2: August 05, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »

nice!

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #3: August 05, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »
I'd change it to Marmolejos-Diaz, as that's his full name. I'll try and find more scouting reports. Thanks for yours, Elvir!

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #4: August 05, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »
2015 Nationals' Minor League Player of the Year

Marmolejos, 22, had a breakout season at Class A Hagerstown. He was signed by one of the Nationals’ top Dominican scouts, Modesto Ulloa, in 2011. Marmolejos led the South Atlantic League in hits (145), was second in batting average (.310) and third in on-base-plus-slugging percentage (.848) in a team-high 124 games. He led all Nationals minor leaguers in hits, doubles, RBI, slugging percentage and average.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2015/09/26/jose-marmolejos-austin-voth-and-austen-williams-earn-nationals-minor-league-awards/

“So what he ended up doing - and worked really hard on it - was being able to hit the ball to all parts of the field,” Gingrich said. “In his maturity, he developed some power and he (now) generates unbelievable backspin. So the stronger and bigger he gets, and (the more) mature as a hitter, there’s going to be more power in the bat. And there’ll be power to all fields: left-center, center and right.”

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2015/12/nats-prospect-watch-jose-marmolejos-diaz.html

HR video:

Baseball America editor-in-chief John Manuel said his publication likes what they see from him offensively, but want to see more of his bat at higher levels and see if he can improve his defense a bit at first base.

Nationals-Helmets-in-Rack-Sidebar.jpg“The reason that he didn’t rank as high for us was there is some links to the swing according to our reports,” Manuel said. “Definitely had a great year. I think it was the age No. 1 (that kept him out of our top 10). No. 2 there are some links in the swing that I think our reports are really have to see him challenged by better fastballs at upper levels. He cheats little bit on fastballs, everybody does. How will he do when he sees fastballs with better command and more in the zone?”

Marmolejos displayed power to all fields for Hagerstown and it will be exciting to see what he can do from his 6-foot-1, 185-lb. frame can do in 2016, especially after some experience in the Dominican Winter League this offseason with Tigres del Licey.

“There is a lot to like about the bat and the way the ball comes off the bat,” Manuel said. “The other question for us is where is he going to play. Doesn’t really have a ton of experience at first base, and our reports are he is pretty below average defensively and doesn’t really run great in the outfield. There were some real questions about just where he profiles, where he fits. He might wind up being a tweener.”

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2016/02/nats-prospect-watch-jose-marmolejos.html

Not seeing him ranked anywhere, outside of a honorable mention or so. If he adds a little more power, he could jump a bit. Sounds like he's got to work on his 1B defensive skills, as well.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #5: August 05, 2016, 02:51:43 PM »
I'd change it to Marmolejos-Diaz, as that's his full name. I'll try and find more scouting reports. Thanks for yours, Elvir!

No worries.  I'd keep it at Marmolejos, by the way - that's how he's announced in the stadium and what's on his shirt.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #6: August 05, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
No worries.  I'd keep it at Marmolejos, by the way - that's how he's announced in the stadium and what's on his shirt.

Yea, Diaz is his mother's maiden name. You never really go by that in public.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #7: August 15, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »

Yeah, good point. I wasn't sure if that was the case or not. Thanks!

The Orange is still wrecking shop! Got his first AA HR 2 nights ago!

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #8: August 15, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »
Really gonna keep an eye on this one. Seems like a bonfided hitter just not for huge HR numbers but a ton of doubles and RBIs

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #9: September 30, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »
Player of the Year for the Nats again:

Chelsea Janes Verified account
‏@chelsea_janes

Nats name 1B Jose Marmalejos Minor League PoY for 2nd straight season. Lopez is pitcher of the year, Rafael Bautista gets Bob Boone Award.

Offline whytev

« Reply #10: September 30, 2016, 05:54:16 PM »

All the Latinos from certain countries have this.

Ramos is Wilson Ramos Campos, for example.

Fun fact: The Alou brothers are supposed to be Rojas brothers. When they came up, someone just used the final name shown and they didn't speak enough English to argue.

Offline whytev

« Reply #11: September 30, 2016, 05:55:07 PM »
Really gonna keep an eye on this one. Seems like a bonfided hitter just not for huge HR numbers but a ton of doubles and RBIs

Nice to at least dream about a post Zimmerman 1B who is home-grown rather than expensive.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: October 21, 2016, 02:20:06 PM »
Call him up

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: February 24, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
pinging Slate

Online Slateman

« Reply #14: February 24, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
Yea, never heard of her

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #15: February 24, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
 :hysterical:

Offline imref

« Reply #16: February 24, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »
Yea, never heard of her

Two-time organizational player of the year.

#NANF!

Online Slateman

« Reply #17: February 24, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »

#NANF!
Fake news

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #18: February 24, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »

#NANF!

Fact!

Offline imref

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #20: April 07, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
On the 60 Day DL.

Posted a .750 OPS last year in 30 games in AA after a strong showing in A. He turned 24 earlier this year. If he could come back and earn his way into Syracuse this season I'd like to think he could eventually be a decent AAAA first base bat in a pinch.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #21: April 07, 2017, 12:51:57 PM »
I'd like to think he could eventually be a decent AAAA first base bat in a pinch.

Jose Marmolejos is spanish for Clint Robinson.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #22: April 07, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »
Jose Marmolejos is spanish for Clint Robinson.
Cheap, useful bench bat? Sign me up.

Offline imref

« Reply #23: April 07, 2017, 11:10:01 PM »
OOTP mobile had Marmolejos making the OD roster, and RZ in the minors.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #24: April 19, 2017, 01:54:00 AM »
can't wait for the marmalade menace to get back on the field.