Author Topic: Unpopular Nationals Opinions  (Read 24870 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Unpopular Nationals Opinions
« Reply #75: July 04, 2016, 09:38:01 AM »
Not Nats specific, but I can't stand the singing of the national anthem before every game and I can't stand the Sunday episode of God Bless America either. No other country sings their anthem before anything other than an international championship-level event (well ,except the Canadians, when the Americans make them do it).  It's a little creepy to have a forced display of patriotism before everything bigger than a high school scrimmage.

Not sure how to respond to this, other than to say that I'm saddened that you feel this way...on the 4th of July, no less...

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #76: July 04, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »
Not sure how to respond to this, other than to say that I'm saddened that you feel this way...on the 4th of July, no less...

At the game on Saturday there was a couple there in 303 row B, looked to be about 30, well dressed, when the Nats did the tribute for the wounded warriors they just sat still and watched the screen while everyone around them stood and cheered. I know that a lot of people are distracted and aren't aware of what's happening but this couple purposefully declined to show any appreciation. Pretty damn sickening.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #77: July 04, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »
I miss Clint and Terrance at Nats Park. No sarcasm. I enjoyed them trying to make crap baseball fun.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #78: July 04, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »
I agree with dcpatti. Faux patriotism at sporting events is stupid

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #79: July 04, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
Morse is a free agent/probably retired.  The Nats should try to bring him back. 

I like Dan Kolko. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #80: July 04, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
I agree with dcpatti. Faux patriotism at sporting events is stupid

Then sit quietly in your seat and let people who have a genuine respect for this country have their opportunity to show that respect...

It's only faux if you join in...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #81: July 04, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
At the game on Saturday there was a couple there in 303 row B, looked to be about 30, well dressed, when the Nats did the tribute for the wounded warriors they just sat still and watched the screen while everyone around them stood and cheered. I know that a lot of people are distracted and aren't aware of what's happening but this couple purposefully declined to show any appreciation. Pretty damn sickening.

Most military folks I know (including a 2-star general who sits in sec 121) hate this "tribute." Most of them are not in the job for the glory, and really it accomplishes nothing other than making us civilians feel good about ourselves. The general consensus (pun intended) is that if the Nats/MLB/civilians want to show appreciation for the troops, a donation to one of the fine charities that help veterans is worth more than a huge round of applause. We applaud and cheer and then we elect representatives who cut funding for the VA.  At least the Nats are not charging the military for the " privilege" of being applauded. Some other teams do charge for that.

Then sit quietly in your seat and let people who have a genuine respect for this country have their opportunity to show that respect...

It's entirely possible to have a healthy respect for, and love for, this country without loving the forced, hollow recitation of the anthem any time more that 8 Americans are in the same place. There are far more meaningful ways to show your love and respect for your country.  We have a weird relationship with patriotism in this country. You won't see this kind of display anywhere else. It's okay to question it. That doesn't make me a bad American.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #82: July 04, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »
I don't like the :w:  :icon_frown: I'm sorry I know it's nostalgia from the Senators but man, screams :w: algreens to me and always will.

I live in Oklahoma now. I went into a liquor store that was next to a Walgreens with my red curly W hat on....the cashier in the liquor store asked if I worked at Walgreens. No lie.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #83: July 04, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
Hey, that's a popular opinion now!  :lol: :lol:

In some quarters   ....   :couch:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #84: July 04, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »

On the other hand, don't give me the evil eye and ask me to stand and sing "God Bless America".

Online Slateman

« Reply #85: July 04, 2016, 11:09:38 AM »

If you think playing thee national anthem for every silly athletic competition is respect, you don't understand the concept.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #86: July 04, 2016, 11:10:27 AM »
It's entirely possible to have a healthy respect for, and love for, this country without loving the forced, hollow recitation of the anthem....

If it's hollow for you, then perhaps your respect isn't as healthy as you think.  But then...that's the great thing about this country...you aren't being forced to do it...  ;)

Online Slateman

« Reply #87: July 04, 2016, 11:11:18 AM »
It's entirely possible to have a healthy respect for, and love for, this country without loving the forced, hollow recitation of the anthem any time more that 8 Americans are in the same place. There are far more meaningful ways to show your love and respect for your country.  We have a weird relationship with patriotism in this country. You won't see this kind of display anywhere else. It's okay to question it. That doesn't make me a bad American.

Bingo. I don't question other country's citizens' patriotism, yet they don't play their national anthem for their equivalent to little league games.

I also find it amazingly insulting the way companies monetize service and patriotism. Dynacorp with their 4th inning thing, building a ball park at Ft. Bragg, the NFL .... it's not patriotism, it's simply capitalism.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #88: July 04, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
If you think playing thee national anthem for every silly athletic competition is respect, you don't understand the concept.

Whatever dude...you do your thing...I'll do mine...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #89: July 04, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »
On the other hand, don't give me the evil eye and ask me to stand and sing "God Bless America".
Stand please!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #90: July 04, 2016, 11:33:52 AM »
Bingo. I don't question other country's citizens' patriotism, yet they don't play their national anthem for their equivalent to little league games.

I also find it amazingly insulting the way companies monetize service and patriotism. Dynacorp with their 4th inning thing, building a ball park at Ft. Bragg, the NFL .... it's not patriotism, it's simply capitalism.
That's probably true but doesn't mean that many of the attendees don't pay their true respects while it's being played.  Write your sports commissioners and tell them how you feel.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #91: July 04, 2016, 11:48:36 AM »
If it's hollow for you, then perhaps your respect isn't as healthy as you think.  But then...that's the great thing about this country...you aren't being forced to do it...  ;)

Actually, there's tremendous social pressure to join in, as evidenced by this thread. Which is why half the people are standing there staring off into space. It becomes meaningless and routine. It stops being special. Watch a FIFA qualifying match some time. People stand for all the anthems but they cry  when it's time for their country's, because it's a meaningful and special occasion with tremendous power. I've yet to see anyone over the age of 6 cry during the national anthem at any ballpark, ever.  It's like how the flag loses a lot of its symbolic meaning when it's being printed on ties, purses and bikini tops.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #92: July 04, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
Actually, there's tremendous social pressure to join in, as evidenced by this thread. Which is why half the people are standing there staring off into space. It becomes meaningless and routine. It stops being special. Watch a FIFA qualifying match some time. People stand for all the anthems but they cry  when it's time for their country's, because it's a meaningful and special occasion with tremendous power. I've yet to see anyone over the age of 6 cry during the national anthem at any ballpark, ever.  It's like how the flag loses a lot of its symbolic meaning when it's being printed on ties, purses and bikini tops.

I know guys who tear up at the Park during a particularly meaningful rendition of the National Anthem on a particularly meaningful day in their life.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #93: July 04, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »
True; but it's up to each individual how you take it.  People who come to the park regularly are different than kids there once per year.

And at those FIFA matches some of the fans get so riled up they attack each other--does that mean they should not play it?

USA guys and gals cry at the Olympics when they get a medal even though they have been hearing it at sporting matches all their lives.  So it can be special.  Same as when the singer does a really great rendition at any regular game.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #94: July 04, 2016, 11:54:52 AM »

Like I said to Slate...you do your thing...I'll do mine.  It's as meaningful or as meaningless as you make it.  Peace...  ;)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
« Reply #95: July 04, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »

Guess we had to expect an epic downturn in the collegiality of this thread at some point, eh?

My two cents.... traditions and routines may become exercises spawning cynicism for adults, but they not only mean something to those who choose to make them meaningful, they inherently prompt a cultural cue to the throng of children in the crowd that, no matter any person's specific political perspective, we all value this nation and what it stands for and what sacrifices have had to be made for us to enjoy the freedom and quality of life that we do.... and in a gathering of pure recreational pursuit, as professional sports is, it's not too much to pause routinely to recognize all of that.

As others have differing opinions... big picture and at the risk of seeming dramatic... I'm glad for a country where differing opinions are tolerated and respect for dissension is even written into our constitution.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #96: July 04, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Guess we had to expect an epic downturn in the collegiality of this thread at some point, eh?

Is this a great country, or what?    :)

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #97: July 04, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
You been talking about the Queen again?  On Independence Day?

Offline Optics

« Reply #98: July 04, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
There does seem to be a strange obsession/love affair with the troops in this country. I mean don't get me wrong, I love our troops and all, but do we really need to constantly give them praise and affection? I can agree with all the national anthem stuff too. Its just too much. We're all patriots, we love this country, but we don't need to bring it up ALL THE TIME.

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
« Reply #99: July 04, 2016, 01:14:17 PM »
Dare I ask... why do you "love our troops and all?" Just curious what you actually mean when you say that.