Author Topic: Unpopular Nationals Opinions  (Read 25218 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Unpopular Nationals Opinions
« Reply #550: May 12, 2022, 01:23:03 PM »
Yadi's 34.  He's not a long term piece, or even medium term.
I mean for 2023, likely 2024. 

if that's the planning horizon, then they could start adding in a replay of 2019 or 2021.  As of 2018, what did they have that was good and under control going into the season?  A year of Rendon, Turner, a rookie who had shown something in Soto, but what else?  Eaton off an injury and a horrible season? Was Suzuki a real stud?  They had a prospect who had shown something in his first call up in Robles.  As for the pitching staff, I guess Stras was healthy and of course they had Scherzer, but otherwise there was pretty much just Doo in the bullpen.   I don't think that lineup is a heck of a lot more than what we have now?  Turner had yet to emerge as one of the best at his position.  Call him Bell level?   The only big, big, plus that that team had on this team at the end of this season would be the front two in the rotation. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #551: June 02, 2022, 08:40:44 AM »
There was a nice Jesse Dougherty article yesterday on why the team kept Austin Voth around as long as they did.  It reveals a lot about the organizational approach to this year.

Why the Nationals’ Austin Voth experiment lasted as long as it did

Nine years after he was drafted and 92 appearances since he first pitched for the Washington Nationals, Austin Voth was designated for assignment Tuesday. It’s fair to ask why the Nationals kept putting this decision off. One of the key reasons offers a look into their thought process during a rebuilding year that has been short on wins and full of disappointment.

According to multiple people in the organization — including front-office members and major league staff — Voth’s underlying metrics made a midseason trade seem possible. Statcast ranks his curveball spin rate in the 96th percentile. His fastball ranks in the 84th. If he strung together some good weeks, the thinking went, a data-minded club might offer a low-level minor leaguer for a chance to mold Voth and his unteachable spin into an effective reliever.

When plotting potential trades, this seemed to offer more upside than Washington dangling any of its veteran castoffs. Voth just never clicked this season, his ERA ultimately spiking to 10.13 in 18⅔ innings.

Basically, the whole season is about trading everything that can be moved and trying to create tradeable commodities.  It's not just the veteran free agents on one year deals.  It's certainly not about fielding a respectable team or creating an enjoyable viewing / rooting experience. Without Max and Trea, and with STrasburg hurt, perhaps they could not pull off what they tried to do in 2021, which is bring in vets on short term deals who could put together a decent run if things broke right or who could be flipped if they didn't, but it's clear that this team was put together with no intent to have a respectable performance on the field.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #552: June 02, 2022, 03:47:04 PM »
Bat guano is a tradable commodity

Offline dracnal

« Reply #553: June 02, 2022, 03:56:22 PM »
Bat guano is a tradable commodity

Is that what fills those ten pound sacks of crap most of the team isn't worth?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #554: June 02, 2022, 03:56:38 PM »
There was a nice Jesse Dougherty article yesterday on why the team kept Austin Voth around as long as they did.  It reveals a lot about the organizational approach to this year.

Why the Nationals’ Austin Voth experiment lasted as long as it did

Basically, the whole season is about trading everything that can be moved and trying to create tradeable commodities.  It's not just the veteran free agents on one year deals.  It's certainly not about fielding a respectable team or creating an enjoyable viewing / rooting experience. Without Max and Trea, and with STrasburg hurt, perhaps they could not pull off what they tried to do in 2021, which is bring in vets on short term deals who could put together a decent run if things broke right or who could be flipped if they didn't, but it's clear that this team was put together with no intent to have a respectable performance on the field.
Honestly, we have nothing besides Soto, nothing. And why is that? I mean, I'm sorry but all signs point to Rizzo and I do not trust him any longer to work any magic. This team is in the toilet and I do not have an ounce of faith he knows how to pull them out of it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #555: June 02, 2022, 04:43:25 PM »
Honestly, we have nothing besides Soto, nothing. And why is that? I mean, I'm sorry but all signs point to Rizzo and I do not trust him any longer to work any magic. This team is in the toilet and I do not have an ounce of faith he knows how to pull them out of it.
I'll say Ruiz is a fine major leaguer and a potential all-star down the line, but yes, now that Bell has cooled and Cruz hasn't gotten red-hot, there isn't much to watch.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #556: June 02, 2022, 04:56:17 PM »
Rainey.  Also the overdose hotline on-base celebration. 
I'll say Ruiz is a fine major leaguer and a potential all-star down the line, but yes, now that Bell has cooled and Cruz hasn't gotten red-hot, there isn't much to watch.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #557: June 02, 2022, 07:51:41 PM »
Basically, the whole season is about trading everything that can be moved and trying to create tradeable commodities.

The whole season is about the sale, nothing else matters. No one knows whether the new ownership group will spend big or build slow so long term planning is meaningless. Since Rizzo can't make any big moves he's playing with the margins. just twiddling his thumbs trying to look like a major league GM in case he's looking for a new job next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #558: June 02, 2022, 08:05:50 PM »
I have to wonder about the unwatchabilty of this team and that's impact on attendance and the fanbase for the next few years

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #559: June 02, 2022, 08:13:43 PM »
The whole season is about the sale, nothing else matters. No one knows whether the new ownership group will spend big or build slow so long term planning is meaningless. Since Rizzo can't make any big moves he's playing with the margins. just twiddling his thumbs trying to look like a major league GM in case he's looking for a new job next year.
Nah, other things matter, too. It's more a macro/micro deal. The biggest deal, the one that impacts everything, is the sale. But Rizzo getting as many pieces for the future matters, too. And the development of guys like Ruiz, Gray and Garcia. It all matters.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #560: June 02, 2022, 08:14:32 PM »
I have to wonder about the unwatchabilty of this team and that's impact on attendance and the fanbase for the next few years
Depends on how quickly the contend again. If they get good relatively quickly, there will be more buzz. Won't likely happen immediately, though.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #561: June 02, 2022, 08:30:13 PM »
Thats the one thing that isnt an issue. DC is the ultimate bandwagon town. When they win, all of the freaking former frat boys will rush to the ballpark after work, throwing a jersey over their shirt and tie, and gladly spending $200 for a few crappy beers. Parents will be more than happy to drop $300 to take the kids to a game.

People will come, Ray

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #562: June 02, 2022, 08:53:53 PM »
The bandwagon works until it is busted. What sort of spillover did wft get from making the playoffs and giving the super bowl champs their toughest playoff game?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #563: June 02, 2022, 08:58:14 PM »
The bandwagon works until it is busted. What sort of spillover did wft get from making the playoffs and giving the super bowl champs their toughest playoff game?
WFT is a special case I think. They did so much to alienate the fans.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #564: June 02, 2022, 09:01:11 PM »
It has literally taken decades to get to this point. And if they become a 10 win team, fans will flock back.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #565: June 02, 2022, 10:32:38 PM »
Thats the one thing that isnt an issue. DC is the ultimate bandwagon town. When they win, all of the freaking former frat boys will rush to the ballpark after work, throwing a jersey over their shirt and tie, and gladly spending $200 for a few crappy beers. Parents will be more than happy to drop $300 to take the kids to a game.

People will come, Ray

This is pure comedy gold. Nicely done.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #566: June 03, 2022, 08:49:19 AM »
It has literally taken decades to get to this point. And if they become a 10 win team, fans will flock back.
If Wentz looks good next year and the team starts 6-2 or 8-3, that field will be rocking in November. I don't attribute that so much to a deep enduring fan base in DC, but more to just football being king.

The Nationals can get the fan base back. But it will take lots of wins. Probably a playoff appearance. Lots of empty ballparks around baseball. We may be joining them for a while.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #567: June 03, 2022, 09:41:54 AM »
Lots of half empty nights when they were winning, too. Some of that just comes with the territory. Plus, it’s so expensive to take a family to the game nowadays, plus a late night a lot of times, I can understand why families don’t go to multiple games. The trick is if they can get them to go to three games a year instead of just one…

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #568: June 03, 2022, 11:52:06 AM »
Lots of half empty nights when they were winning, too. Some of that just comes with the territory. Plus, it’s so expensive to take a family to the game nowadays, plus a late night a lot of times, I can understand why families don’t go to multiple games. The trick is if they can get them to go to three games a year instead of just one…

The Nationals are the fourth most expensive game to go to in MLB for fans. Just as prices go up when they win, they should go down when they stink.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #569: June 03, 2022, 11:54:09 AM »
The Nationals are the fourth most expensive game to go to in MLB for fans. Just as prices go up when they win, they should go down when they stink.
Its also on in one of the most expensive places to live.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #570: June 03, 2022, 12:34:15 PM »
Its also on in one of the most expensive places to live.
The cost of living of the team' hometown is only a partial factor.

The Cubs (#1 on the list) cost far more than the White Sox (#11). The Yankees (#2) cost more than the Mets (#8). The Dodgers cost far more than Angels. And despite the cost of living in LA, the Dodgers are #12 and the Angels are #22.

https://time2play.com/blog/mlb-stadium-costs-2022/