Author Topic: Unpopular Nationals Opinions  (Read 18354 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Unpopular Nationals Opinions
« Reply #100: July 04, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
I've yet to see anyone over the age of 6 cry during the national anthem at any ballpark, ever.  It's like how the flag loses a lot of its symbolic meaning when it's being printed on ties, purses and bikini tops.
I remember a time where is was disrespectful to the flag to wear it as an article of clothing. I also remember you used to take the flag in at night.  OTOH, to me the term "desecration" always seemed strange because it is not a religious object.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #101: July 04, 2016, 01:16:01 PM »
There does seem to be a strange obsession/love affair with the troops in this country. I mean don't get me wrong, I love our troops and all, but do we really need to constantly give them praise and affection? I can agree with all the national anthem stuff too. Its just too much. We're all patriots, we love this country, but we don't need to bring it up ALL THE TIME.

IMHO, it's a guilt trip.    Deep down, 1% have some connection to the military.    The rest, if they have a magnet on their car, it's all good.    :devil:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #102: July 04, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »
I remember a time where is was disrespectful to the flag to wear it as an article of clothing. I also remember you used to take the flag in at night.  OTOH, to me the term "desecration" always seemed strange because it is not a religious object.

Look around your (generally) neighborhood and see how many flags are still out in the rain.   I just brought mine indoors.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #103: July 04, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
From the @Nationals Twitter:

A.M. baseball is a metaphor for our freedom. The #Nats humbly thank all who have served to provide and protect it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #104: July 04, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #105: July 04, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »
:smh:

I want to defend displays of patriotism at the ballpark and then the Nats go full retard.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #106: July 04, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »
This thread may be headed to politics

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #107: July 04, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »
Is the Nats performance this morning a metaphor for their appreciation for the military?

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #108: July 04, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
Like I said to Slate...you do your thing...I'll do mine.  It's as meaningful or as meaningless as you make it.  Peace...  ;)

I'm pretty sure they always were doing their thing and never told you not to do yours.
;)

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #111: July 04, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
This thread may be headed to politics

I hope so...let's get this thread back to debating unpopular Nats opinions

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #112: July 04, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
I don't like the :w:  :icon_frown: I'm sorry I know it's nostalgia from the Senators but man, screams :w: algreens to me and always will.

I'm kind of with you on this.  The weird thing is, the nostalgia factor relates to the Senators of the 60's - mostly awful teams and a franchise that bolted after barely a decade.  Having nostalgia for them is kind of like having nostalgia for the '07 Nats or something.

I'll go one further and say that I don't get everyone's fascination with script font in general, whether it's the curly W or the away unis.  Script font is so unimaginative.  When I think of the really iconic/excellent team insignia - Yankees, Red Sox, Pirates, Tigers - few of them use script font with their signature look.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #113: July 04, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
I'm kind of with you on this.  The weird thing is, the nostalgia factor relates to the Senators of the 60's - mostly awful teams and a franchise that bolted after barely a decade.  Having nostalgia for them is kind of like having nostalgia for the '07 Nats or something.

I'll go one further and say that I don't get everyone's fascination with script font in general, whether it's the curly W or the away unis.  Script font is so unimaginative.  When I think of the really iconic/excellent team insignia - Yankees, Red Sox, Pirates, Tigers - few of them use script font with their signature look.

The dc block logo is worse, I like the old senators w with straight lines

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #114: July 04, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »
No disagreement here.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #115: July 04, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »

Offline mitlen

Offline whytev

« Reply #117: July 04, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »
I don't like the :w:  :icon_frown: I'm sorry I know it's nostalgia from the Senators but man, screams :w: algreens to me and always will.

I kinda like strutting around wearing my own initial on my head.

Offline whytev

« Reply #118: July 04, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
Not Nats specific, but I can't stand the singing of the national anthem before every game and I can't stand the Sunday episode of God Bless America either. No other country sings their anthem before anything other than an international championship-level event (well ,except the Canadians, when the Americans make them do it).  It's a little creepy to have a forced display of patriotism before everything bigger than a high school scrimmage.

Don't all the major sports do this? Also not a Nationals-specific opinion.

Offline whytev

« Reply #119: July 04, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
Most military folks I know (including a 2-star general who sits in sec 121) hate this "tribute." Most of them are not in the job for the glory, and really it accomplishes nothing other than making us civilians feel good about ourselves. The general consensus (pun intended) is that if the Nats/MLB/civilians want to show appreciation for the troops, a donation to one of the fine charities that help veterans is worth more than a huge round of applause. We applaud and cheer and then we elect representatives who cut funding for the VA.  At least the Nats are not charging the military for the " privilege" of being applauded. Some other teams do charge for that.

It's entirely possible to have a healthy respect for, and love for, this country without loving the forced, hollow recitation of the anthem any time more that 8 Americans are in the same place. There are far more meaningful ways to show your love and respect for your country.  We have a weird relationship with patriotism in this country. You won't see this kind of display anywhere else. It's okay to question it. That doesn't make me a bad American.

:clap:

Offline whytev

« Reply #120: July 04, 2016, 04:51:34 PM »
Bingo. I don't question other country's citizens' patriotism, yet they don't play their national anthem for their equivalent to little league games.

I also find it amazingly insulting the way companies monetize service and patriotism. Dynacorp with their 4th inning thing, building a ball park at Ft. Bragg, the NFL .... it's not patriotism, it's simply capitalism.

I really hate the camo uniforms. So, so much.

Offline whytev

« Reply #121: July 04, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »

I hated the original (2005) Nats jerseys.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #122: July 04, 2016, 05:29:20 PM »
This is not true for my experiences working with the military (in terms of hating the tribute).

Most military folks I know (including a 2-star general who sits in sec 121) hate this "tribute." Most of them are not in the job for the glory, and really it accomplishes nothing other than making us civilians feel good about ourselves. The general consensus (pun intended) is that if the Nats/MLB/civilians want to show appreciation for the troops, a donation to one of the fine charities that help veterans is worth more than a huge round of applause. We applaud and cheer and then we elect representatives who cut funding for the VA.  At least the Nats are not charging the military for the " privilege" of being applauded. Some other teams do charge for that.

It's entirely possible to have a healthy respect for, and love for, this country without loving the forced, hollow recitation of the anthem any time more that 8 Americans are in the same place. There are far more meaningful ways to show your love and respect for your country.  We have a weird relationship with patriotism in this country. You won't see this kind of display anywhere else. It's okay to question it. That doesn't make me a bad American.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #123: July 04, 2016, 05:45:16 PM »
I've yet to see anyone over the age of 6 cry during the national anthem at any ballpark, ever. 

Most of the singings are so bad they make me cry.  At least, wince.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #124: July 04, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
Morse is a free agent/probably retired.  The Nats should try to bring him back. 

I like Dan Kolko.

agree with both assertions
saw Morse on MLB network last week
he said if anyone needed a slow running, poor outfielder, yet pretty decent DH he was available...
paraphrased of course, but that's the gist of what he said